How can I make background play more user friendly?

ios

Am I using background play incorrectly?

In most media apps I use, I:
1) tap the play button
2) push the sleep button and that's it, media plays in the background.

In Plex however, I:
1) tap the play button
2) push the sleep button, but this stops the media
3) I then need to push the sleep button a 2nd time, bringing the background media controls on screen
4) tap the background-play button
5) finally, push sleep again to switch off the screen

Is this correct? Is there a setting I need to flip to not pause media when the sleep button is hit?

If there is a setting then I’d like to know about it too as I do exactly what you do. It’s not a show-stopper but it is a bit of a pain.

What kind of media are you playing? I just tried doing exactly what you described with some music, and it worked exactly as expected. Pressed sleep, and it kept playing.

@DaveBinM said:
What kind of media are you playing? I just tried doing exactly what you described with some music, and it worked exactly as expected. Pressed sleep, and it kept playing.

My apologies for such a slow reply. I’m playing TV shows and movies; mp4 and mkv files I believe.

@marvelharvey If I may ask, why play a video with the screen off? I’ll check with the engineering team, but stopping playback for a video seems like it would be the desired intention most of the time.

@DaveBinM

I’m probably a small minority on this, but I often fall asleep listening to old TV shows. I could leave the screen on, but I switch it off to save power. It’s not the end of the world though.

@marvelharvey I’ve checked with the engineering team, and stopping the video when turning the screen off is the intended behaviour.