How do you get plex to show video on tv thru alexa voice control ?

alexa
voice-control

Okay, I've had plex and Roku for quite a while and it works great with the roku hand held remote, but I just a few minutes ago activated the plex skill on my amazon echo dot and when I ask it to play a certain video, it will play, but only on my computer instead of appearing on the tv screen thru the Roku like it would if I used the roku hand held remote. Is there another step to do after activating the skill on alexa ? Thanks !

From what I remember I think you have to tell your Echo which Plex app to use and that app must be active before the command is called.
The command is something like: "Alexa, tell Plex to switch players."
The app will then list your players and you can choose the one you want to use.

I hope you have better luck than I did with the Plex skill. I finally abandoned using it because it was so unreliable and apparently poorly designed. As example if I had a video paused and I say "Alexa, tell Plex play." The chances are that Plex will jump out of what is playing and play some random video or audio file. I have no such problem with any other app.

okay, I can't try it right now as we are watching something, but I found this possible solution in another thread and hopefully it will be my solution also -

(quote) What I did was opened Plex on my Roku, logged out and then restarted my Roku. I then logged back into Plex on my Roku and my Echo immediately found my Roku Plex Player (end quote

if that solves it then I'll have found my solution, I probably should have searched the forum more first before adding another question, sorry !

@Elijah_Baley said:
From what I remember I think you have to tell your Echo which Plex app to use and that app must be active before the command is called.
The command is something like: "Alexa, tell Plex to switch players."
The app will then list your players and you can choose the one you want to use.

I hope you have better luck than I did with the Plex skill. I finally abandoned using it because it was so unreliable and apparently poorly designed. As example if I had a video paused and I say "Alexa, tell Plex play." The chances are that Plex will jump out of what is playing and play some random video or audio file. I have no such problem with any other app.

Thanks for the idea Elijah, I'll keep that in mind after I get the echo to recognize my Roku as being in the network, right now it only seems to be seeing my computer, hopefully after I try what I said in my previous reply I'll just need to use your advice to switch from my computer to the Roku. Thanks again !