How to access Web Client and IE9 Funny Behaviour

plex-web

Hi

Just to say firstly that I love Plex, I'm trying to get my whole family to use it as it really does seem a very simple interface, and the web client looks incredibly promising too. Just thought I'd give a bit of feedback on my first impressions as a newcomer to the platform (but competent computer user and programmer).

First off, a little about my set up: I have 1000+ movies mainly h264+/ac3 mkvs, but some xvid/mp3/ac3 avis (depending on whether I was converting a DVD [avi] or BluRay [mkv], although I'm leaning to mkv for most now). I have Plex Media Server 0.9.6.9.241-da3068c running on Ubuntu 12.04 x64 (Amahi, Sabnzbdplus, transmission, couchpotatoserver and sickbeard also reside on it [plex is not the amahi version, and the others are originally Ahami webapps, but I update them manually now via git]). It's an old Intel E6400 8GB Ram, 19TB HD system, but seems to cope admirably. My internet connection is with TalkTalk fibre optic and is 78Mb/s down (really ~40) and 20Mb/s up (usually accurate). The clients are all Android 2.2.1.8 (mainly remotely) and now the Web Client (locally).

1) Just a quick point about the web client intro in this post. May seem obvious to some seasoned users of plex, but I know as a new one it took me searching through a few posts in this sub forum to find out how to access the web client (it does sound like a separate download for some reason). Would it be possible to edit the first post to just say that it is accessed via:

http://:/web

and that it is actually incorporated into Plex Media Server already, so no extra download is necessary.

Just will save a lot of people a bit of a mess on.

2) I know IE9 is not your main focus or is it really intended to be run on it, but even with the Chrome Frame installed (does it actually use this, as it seems different on Chrome and IE9w/Chrome Frame) I can log in fine and everything works until I try and play a movie. It plays the first movie okay, but then if you click back and select another movie, it will just play the first selected movie again (although on the server the transcoder is operating, so it doesn't seem to be a cache issue).

3) As previously mentioned countless times, and I understand the issues, just mentioning this for completeness. The Android client runs differently on all android platforms. My partners Galaxy S2 Android v4.0.3 loves it, my parents generic Android tablet 4.0.3 works fine apart from resume does not work and just seems to put it in an endless buffering state, my Asus TF201 Android v4.1.1 is happy with it, apart from the back button doesn't work when playing a movie (you have to click the 'done' button which appears when you touch the screen).

4) The git repository seems very out of date, I noticed a few people have mentioned this, but no reply given. What is happening here? Do PlexPass members get early access to 'beta' versions of the server?

Thank you for any help yo can give with the issues above (apart from number 3) of course).

Alex

[quote name='ajw107' timestamp='1349863844' post='301695']

Hi

Just to say firstly that I love Plex, I'm trying to get my whole family to use it as it really does seem a very simple interface, and the web client looks incredibly promising too. Just thought I'd give a bit of feedback on my first impressions as a newcomer to the platform (but competent computer user and programmer).

First off, a little about my set up: I have 1000+ movies mainly h264+/ac3 mkvs, but some xvid/mp3/ac3 avis (depending on whether I was converting a DVD [avi] or BluRay [mkv], although I'm leaning to mkv for most now). I have Plex Media Server 0.9.6.9.241-da3068c running on Ubuntu 12.04 x64 (Amahi, Sabnzbdplus, transmission, couchpotatoserver and sickbeard also reside on it [plex is not the amahi version, and the others are originally Ahami webapps, but I update them manually now via git]). It's an old Intel E6400 8GB Ram, 19TB HD system, but seems to cope admirably. My internet connection is with TalkTalk fibre optic and is 78Mb/s down (really ~40) and 20Mb/s up (usually accurate). The clients are all Android 2.2.1.8 (mainly remotely) and now the Web Client (locally).

1) Just a quick point about the web client intro in this post. May seem obvious to some seasoned users of plex, but I know as a new one it took me searching through a few posts in this sub forum to find out how to access the web client (it does sound like a separate download for some reason). Would it be possible to edit the first post to just say that it is accessed via:

http://:/web

and that it is actually incorporated into Plex Media Server already, so no extra download is necessary.

Just will save a lot of people a bit of a mess on.

2) I know IE9 is not your main focus or is it really intended to be run on it, but even with the Chrome Frame installed (does it actually use this, as it seems different on Chrome and IE9w/Chrome Frame) I can log in fine and everything works until I try and play a movie. It plays the first movie okay, but then if you click back and select another movie, it will just play the first selected movie again (although on the server the transcoder is operating, so it doesn't seem to be a cache issue).

3) As previously mentioned countless times, and I understand the issues, just mentioning this for completeness. The Android client runs differently on all android platforms. My partners Galaxy S2 Android v4.0.3 loves it, my parents generic Android tablet 4.0.3 works fine apart from resume does not work and just seems to put it in an endless buffering state, my Asus TF201 Android v4.1.1 is happy with it, apart from the back button doesn't work when playing a movie (you have to click the 'done' button which appears when you touch the screen).

4) The git repository seems very out of date, I noticed a few people have mentioned this, but no reply given. What is happening here? Do PlexPass members get early access to 'beta' versions of the server?

Thank you for any help yo can give with the issues above (apart from number 3) of course).

Alex

[/quote]

Thanks for your comments!

1) Great suggestion. We definitely can make this more explicit. I'll edit the welcome post to include some details on this.

2) I will look into that issue with Chrome frame. That seems a little bizarre, so I don't have any ideas without digging in to it first.

3) The fragmentation of Android makes the platform difficult on developers. The player in particular is somewhat out of our control because the native Android video player takes over. I can't say that Android support is a huge priority for us right now, but we definitely want to make the experience as good as possible for as many platforms as possible as development continues.

4) What git repository are you referencing? The only public repository for the web client is the bundle, which was updated 2 days ago.