How to adjust aspect ratio on Plex for Samsung

samsung-smart-hub

I use Plex on my 3 Samsung TVs.
I want to adjust the adjust the picture aspect ratio (the zoom amount). Currently 16:9 picture size option is available but it stretches the picture vertically.
I am looking for an option that will help me get rid of the black borders on top & bottom of the video (without stretching the picture).
Please advise.

If your content is 4:3 then there is no way to fill the screen without either distorting the image or cutting off the image on the sides. So that is not an option.
Also some movies have black borders inside them, we can't remove those.

The 16:9 ratio in Plex for Samsung distorts the image rather than cutting off the image on the sides.

The feature of cutting the image on the sides is available in Plex for Mac, I wish you guys can make it availble in Plex for Samsung as well.

Waiting for a response

I tried to crop the image before, but the results showed very weird behavior on some models, so I'm not implementing that.
This isn't a Plex made app BTW.

Samsung TVs comes with a standard function of Display Zoom function (with various screen display options, such as Normal, Auto-wide, Stretch 1, Zoom etc.). The said function stops working when I open Plex on my Samsung. Is it possible to allow the TV zoom function to work in Plex environment.

Hi. Here you can see an example http://smartvoi.com/load/0-0-1-108-20 file Player.js modes:
"FullScreen 4x3" - The image is stretched to the width and cut off the top and bottom
"FullScreen 16x9"
"Original 4x3"
"Original 16x9"

Thanks for the response.
I have opened Player.js and other files. All I see is a bunch of codes. I am not sure what to do with the files you sent me. Am I supposed to install those.

Please advise.
Thanks

@Sibghat said:
Thanks for the response.
I have opened Player.js and other files. All I see is a bunch of codes. I am not sure what to do with the files you sent me. Am I supposed to install those.

Please advise.
Thanks

Hi. This example is for the developer. This is another plugin for site fs.ua, which implemented image scaling.

Thank you!

I checked out the code and spend the evening trying to get it to work, but it's just too unstable.
I did try to add zoom in the past, but the API just doesn't work reliable on some models, so I decided to not add it.

Very disappointing :(
The only reason I purchased Samsung TVs is so I could run Plex. I have spent more than $11,000 on 3 sets of 4k Samsung TVs for nothing.

I hope someone at Samsung reads this and works with Plex developers community to fix the API issue.

I believe that there is always a solution to every problem ... but sometimes it takes collaboration between two or more brains to solve a problem.

Thank you Ocra and oleg_krv for responding to my query.

Hi.

@Orca said:
I checked out the code and spend the evening trying to get it to work, but it's just too unstable.
I did try to add zoom in the past, but the API just doesn't work reliable on some models, so I decided to not add it.

Is it possible to make the property as an option in the settings. Those users who have an increase in operating normally, will be able to enable this optive.

Thanks Oleg_krv.
It's a great suggestion.

@Sibghat said:
I hope someone at Samsung reads this and works with Plex developers community to fix the API issue.

Sadly you seem unaware that for Samsung TV's there is no Plex developers community.
Just Orca who does this as a hobby in his spare time for very little gratitude from the many.
When I say "does this" you may want to read the last post here.
http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/45444/from-the-developers-if-there-is-any-news-its-in-here#latest

Sorry , I didn't know.
Well , if that is the case then must say that Ocra is providing a great service to Samsung TV users as well as the Samsung company .... (For example the only reason I bought Samsung TVs is because I can run Plex, therefore, Samsung should be thankful to Ocra infact we yhe users should also thank Ocra.

Thank you!

@Sibghat
Veeery stupid question (but I admit I'm not the brightest of the bunch): did you try to change the screen ratio via the green button on the remote?

There is no stupid question but a stupid answer :)

Yes, I did try to change the screen ratio via the green button ... unfortunately it stretches the picture instead of zooming it.

Hi! If I may hijack the thread for a second... I have a Samsung too, and every time I play 4:3 media I have to manually change the aspect mode to 16:9 (hate the bars). Is there any way to tell Plex to always do this to 4:3 media? Also, how can we appreciate Orca's work?

Is there any new information regarding to the PLEX App on SAMSUNG TV? I have the same issue here with a SAMSUNG KS9090.
Thanks very much!