How to get Alexa to tell Plex Player to play music

alexa
voice-control

I've got my Echo Dot working with Plex, and I can ask it to start playback of video, and the video starts playing on my PC (or my Roku, YAY). But when I ask to start playing music, the audio always emanates from the Echo Dot itself. How can I get music to play through the currently selected Plex player app?

Here's a bit of a clue, but I don't know how to 'fix' such an issue. It seems as if Alexa's Plex skill being linked to my Plex server causes the Dot to assume I want to stream music from the server, rather than play music through the currently selected Plex player.

Random guess - even though your Dot is linked to a specific player, have you tried telling it to play on the player when playing music? Like “Alexia, tell Plex to play -song- on -player name you linked to previously-”

I havefree plex seever installed on my pc and am trying to get Alexa to okay my music. I run the skill and ask it to play, it says getting song, nothing happens.
Can I not do this with free version or ama i doing something wrong?
DSmith

DSmith, please don’t hijack another persons thread. Your question is different then the original @thomasjkenney post because their setup is working, just not as they want.
Please review the Plex kb articles regarding Alexa. If after following all the troubleshooting there your issue isn’t resolved, then search the forum for the same question, if not found there, start a new topic in the Alexa thread as this original poster did.

@JamminR said:
Random guess - even though your Dot is linked to a specific player, have you tried telling it to play on the player when playing music? Like “Alexia, tell Plex to play -song- on -player name you linked to previously-”

Yes…still no luck.

That should work. What are the exact words you are using. The echo devices cannot be given player names so the only way to do local playback is to just default playing music on the device. For video, it will go to the default video player. If you want music to go tot hat same video player you need to tell it ti play music to that player.

“Alexa, tell Plex to play the movie Terminator on Shield TV”