How to obtain Plex through Roku and access the cCloud app

roku

Does anyone reading this know how one may access the cCloud app using Plex, possibly using a Roku device? I read online this is possible. And in providing instructions please keep in mind I am not very tech savvy, so would appreciate simple step-by-step directions.

Recently, Roku removed the cCloud app from the directories of those who added the app to their Roku devices, an unofficial app persons chose to install, just as Roku had removed the Channel Pear and XTV apps earlier this year. These unofficial apps make use of something called "M3U8" files with a system known as IPTV, the process of which I do not completely understand. Anyway, the cCloud app on Roku made watching free television (including some basic and premium and basic cable TV channels) fairly easy once one figured out how to maneuver it.

Increasingly, Roku is becoming fairly useless. It may eventually get to the point I will disconnect the Roku box and throw it in a closet with some other obsolete electronic devices. Although, for now, it appears one may still be able to use Roku to obtain Plex; so would still be using Roku, indirectly, to obtain the cCloud app.

What I most enjoyed with cCloud were these 24/7 streams devoted to a single TV series--a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" channel, a "Frasier" channel, an "I Love Lucy" channel, a "Seinfeld" channel, etc., even a channel devoted to the 1960s "Batman" series starring Adam West. Through the cCloud app on Roku I also sometimes watched Sundance TV, which featured "The Andy Griffith Show" marathons on some weekday mornings. And the cCloud app on Roku also allowed me to watch FoxNews, for some non-fake news.

I am hoping to get cCloud back trough Plex. Any help in this regard would be most appreciated. I also read one could obtain cCloud through a VLC media player. But that seems too complex as well.

Since cCloud is a site known for providing pirated material Roku was issued a takedown notice and they correctly complied. They now block any attempt to install it and will not allow it on the Roku even as a private app.

Roku does not allow any apps that provide pirated material. I agree with Roku’s position on this.

@jimprobable - Your need to consider electronics ‘obsolete’ when you can’t use them for piracy is a bit extreme. My own Roku’s replaced my 120$US cable TV once I could go to Netflix, Amazon, and for a while before I got tired of it’s UI and limitations, Hulu. I pay $20 a month (not counting internet) and still save hundreds of dollars a year.

All that being said, you asked a legitimate question anyone may ask regarding Plex, Roku, and unsupported plugins.

Plex is a server to client based system.
You’d have to run a plex server app to be able to view anything, the faster the computer/device, the better experience you’ll have. (Roku can’t run the server)
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200264746-quick-start-step-by-step-guides/

On the Roku, you’d go to the Roku channel store and install Plex client.
Once you start the Plex client, it would ask to link to your Plex account.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/203395277-connect-the-roku-channel-to-your-plex-account/

On Plex server, you can install plugins.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/201187656-how-do-i-manually-install-a-plugin/

cCloud is an unsupported plug-in (unsupported plugins are much like Roku private - Plex company will not support them or list them in their plugin guides) -

@JamminR–Thank you for your positive suggestions regarding use of Plex. However, I do not appreciate your accusation of my participation in piracy, when cCloud had been explained to me as a private application that was available as a free mp3u8 file-sharing service via Roku for several years, was only recently removed by Roku, evidently due to some threat by the state of Mexico to stop distribution of Roku devices and services in that country. But I never distributed any of cCloud’s content to another party, nor did I ever participate in the uploading of any video content to any of cCloud’s channels, only ever viewed cCloud through my Roku device.

If mere passive viewing of video is considered piracy, then I suspect many persons are unknowing participants in a technically illegal act without any real malicious intent. For that matter, there are probably many illegally uploaded videos on Daily Motion and YouTube that many viewers probably watch every moment of the day without even knowing of the illegality of such.

Frankly, I do not understand the relationship between the Mexican boycott of Roku and the removal by Roku of cCloud. But that is what I have read online about the matter. I have also read online that while cCloud is no longer functional in Roku, cCloud does still function in the programs Kodi and Plex, which is the basis of my inquiry here.

As for my own use of Roku, I find I mainly use the device to access exactly four apps (five, apps, when cCloud was still available)–Pluto (a hybrid of several media sources, with a limited and frequently malfunctioning programming grid), Shout! Factory, TubiTV and YouTube, and that most of the other apps in Roku either require subscriptions (which defeats the purpose, if one has to pay expensive media bills as with cable and satellite) or else are redundant public domain video streams (many using variations of the term “classic TV”) of low quality. Later on I also discovered Roku added its own app that includes several free films and TV series’, although most of them uninteresting to me.

Roku does offer access to YouTube at a faster speed than does the YouTube app in my Sony smart TV set. And I also sometimes use the Roku Media Player as an alternate means (to USB drives) to view video files on some of my ancillary hard drives. So you are correct in your assertion I overreacted a bit in considering my Roku device absolutely obsolete. But I still think Roku contains more junk apps than useful media for my purposes.

I was also ripped off by one of the so-called “authorized,” premium apps in Roku, an app that purports to offer episodes of the classic game show Password but actually plays nothing. And despite my reporting of that issue to Roku, that rip-off app (and others like it by the same developer) remains on Roku.

I am also interested to know if anyone else reading this has had any better experience with other steaming devices besides Roku.

I am cautiously optimistic about a forthcoming media service (called Vidgo) about which I read online, which may finally provide what consumers have longed wished to see developed, a truly a la carte TV distribution service that will, supposedly, allow the viewer to decide exactly which TV networks he/she wishes to include in a self-customized bundle. It would be great, for example, to be able to design a media bundle that offers the ability to view Turner Classic Movies (TCM), One America News Network (OAN), Home Box Office (HBO), Fox News and C-Span, without also having to include CNN, Disney Channel, ESPN, MTV and Nickelodeon.

I have never been able to find an even close-to-perfect video streaming service that provides all of the TV networks and video apps to which I would like to have access, whether DirectTV Now, Hulu, Netflix, PlayStation Vue, Roku, Sling TV or what have you.

Ideally, I would also like my media/video streaming service to include access to over-the-air (OTA) so-called “diginets,” nationally-available, entertainment-based specialty TV networks operated through a multicasting process on the digital subchannels of local broadcast affiliates, which I already receive (such as Buzzr and COZI), but with stronger transmission signals, as well some diginets (such as Antenna TV and Movies!) no longer or never received in my area. But I suppose such an ideal media access scenario would be near impossible. In any event, it will be interesting to see , if and when Vidgo eventually launches, exactly what its price structure and programming availability will be.