I have PMS running on Raspberry PI 2!

server-raspberry-pi

Hello,

do we have to install a client on the rasp2 to see the menus on TV ? if yes, which one ?

thanks

you could use XBMC and PlexBMC . It's not the same as a full PHT, but AFAIK it's the only way to get both on one device

I've managed to follow the directions and get the server up and running on the RPi, unfortunately I am unable to access/see the files from my hard drive that is attached to my router which is causing me to be unable to add any movies to the server. Any ideas on how to get the RPi to see the hard drive that is attached to my router and access those files to use in Plex? Thanks in advance!

What a great thread!  I've managed to get Plex installed and working apart from getting my media added to Plex.  I created the folder mapping to my external drive and added what I think are the correct bindings in chroot, but it's still not showing the media :(

Question: should the chroot binding reference the local mapped folder : /media/Movies  or the actual path to the drive: /dev/sda1/Movies?

Also, I noticed once putting the folder path in the bindings that when i browsed to /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Movies it was empty....

Arrrgggg - so close and would love it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you! 

I do not know what precisely you mean by "should the chroot binding reference.."

I have in /etc/fstab:

# USB disk
UUID=42e48c44-a279-4279-b5a4-ec6558061dde /media/usb/shares ext4 defaults 0 2
# Plex media mounts
/media/usb/shares/music  /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/music none bind 0 0

The path for PMS is then: /media/music

music is a directory on the top level of the external drive.

Thanks Eckart, I'll check my fstab file when I get home, interesting that you add the UUID of the USB disk in there and map it that way (i'll try that)!

I'm not a linux expert, but if you already have Rasbian on your RPI2, why do we need to do all the "chroot" stuff ?

the drobo build should work as is ?

thanks

Because the PMS he's running is just for wheezy-armel (armv5) and doesn't work on armv7 (Raspberry Pi2, Banana Pi) so you have to install Wheezy-Armel for armv5 into che Chroot on your Armv7 device and install PMS in it.

This is great news.  I use a lower powered HP Microserver to send media to my Chromecast'ed TV's.  I would love to use my Pi 2 instead just for the power consumption.  I don't need to transcode so I really can't see why this isn't a workable solution.  Come on Plex, give us a native Armv7 binary already!

great find!
is there a way to get the meta data to store on the external hard drive? (i only have an 8gb sdcard and this is using a lot of that up)

lets hope this shows the pi2 is capable of plex and the powers that be release an arm 7 version...hint hint...nudge nudge

This is all great, can we get a proper arm7 package now to avoid this chroot stuff which happens to break other things.

Who/where do I need to donate to to make a real package for arm7 processors happen?

This is all great, can we get a proper arm7 package now to avoid this chroot stuff which happens to break other things.

Who/where do I need to donate to to make a real package for arm7 processors happen?

Can you please be a little more specific? What other things does it break? Apart from using some disk space and some extra synapses in ones brain.

Can you please be a little more specific? What other things does it break? Apart from using some disk space and some extra synapses in ones brain.

mrgreaper's (I've been helping him on my site) upstart scripts are no longer working and system won't boot. I've read elsewhere pictures and covers don't show up. It just makes so much more sense to me to have a proper arm package. They have them available for different NAS systems, why not have a generic package for arm? I am happy to throw some money at this to make it happen if it can be regularly updated.

Can anyone assist with mounting?

If I use 

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /chroots/wheezy-armel/media

I can add /media to my PMS and it works.

I can't figure out what needs to go in fstab though. It's a USB flash drive.

If I use 

I think fstab works a bit differently than the mount command, this is one of my fstab entries:

/dev/sdc1       /media/storage0  ext4    defaults        1 4, where ext4 is the filesystem. I think the defaults and 1 4 bits stay the same for most entries.

great find!
is there a way to get the meta data to store on the external hard drive? (i only have an 8gb sdcard and this is using a lot of that up)

lets hope this shows the pi2 is capable of plex and the powers that be release an arm 7 version...hint hint...nudge nudge

Hi,

Yes there's two ways of doing this.  

One is to have the rPi boot from another device.  See this thread;
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=12015

I haven't tried this but one problem I had with my regular setup is having the USB drive ready at boot up.  The boot up process could time out.

Another (probably better) way would be to setup the chroot on the USB Drive.  Just mount the Drive and follow the instructions but choose a path on the USB Drive for the chroot location.  Again a potential issue is the time it takes to mount the USB at boot time, it might make auto starting plex a problem, but this problem exists anyway.

If I use 

Just noticed I'd left out the USB mount from the /etc/fstab extract;

/dev/sda1       /mnt/USB_HD     ntfs-3g defaults        0       0
# Chroot bind mounts
/home            /chroots/wheezy-armel/home            none bind 0 0
/mnt             /chroots/wheezy-armel/mnt             none bind 0 0
/tmp             /chroots/wheezy-armel/tmp             none bind 0 0
/proc            /chroots/wheezy-armel/proc            proc defaults 0 0
/dev             /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev             none bind 0 0
/dev/pts         /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev/pts          none bind 0 0
/mnt/USB_HD/Video/Films /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/films       none bind 0 0
/mnt/USB_HD/Video/3D_Film       /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/3dfilms     none bind 0 0
/mnt/USB_HD/Video/TVShows       /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/tv  none bind 0 0

The file system on my USB drive is NTFS.  

sorry for my english..

i have install the mkvtoolnix and ffmpeg package. the pms transcode my mkv files.

other mkv will be testet soon..

Can you please be so kind to detail a little more what you installed from which source into which location?

Im Voraus vielen Dank

I'm a noob when it comes to Linux in general, would someone who's got this working be kind enough to help me with some issues installing?

The first (noticable) issue I've come across is when I've tried to 'Correct The Locales'. I'm getting:

"WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated: locales"

It then asks if I want to install without verification, I type 'y' and then get:

E: Some packages could not be authenticated 

Getting some issues after this too but guessing it might be because this isn't done correctly.. 

Thanks for any help!

Just noticed I'd left out the USB mount from the /etc/fstab extract;

Thanks. Managed to figure it out this morning.  Working great.  Just transcoding now all my AVi's to MP4.  That said SD videos appear to transcode fine on the Pi 2.  

Plex really need to give the Pi 2 a look and give it the same support they do for NAS servers. It's working great for me.  The only sad thing is I am new to the Pi and day two with the device it's now a headless server so I didn't get to play too much with it.  Think I might need to order a second one if I can find one  ;)

I'm a noob when it comes to Linux in general, would someone who's got this working be kind enough to help me with some issues installing?

The first (noticable) issue I've come across is when I've tried to 'Correct The Locales'. I'm getting:

It then asks if I want to install without verification, I type 'y' and then get:

Getting some issues after this too but guessing it might be because this isn't done correctly.. 

Thanks for any help!

I think I had the same error.  I can't remember now. Are you running the first lot of commands using sudo?  Pretty much all of everything outside of the chroot requires sudo.  EG up to this part...

sudo apt-get install debootstrap
sudo debootstrap --no-check-gpg --arch=armel wheezy /chroots/wheezy-armel ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/

sudo nano /etc/fstab

+ Paste the following at the end +

# Chroot bind mounts
/home            /chroots/wheezy-armel/home            none bind 0 0
/mnt             /chroots/wheezy-armel/mnt             none bind 0 0
/tmp             /chroots/wheezy-armel/tmp             none bind 0 0
/proc            /chroots/wheezy-armel/proc            proc defaults 0 0
/dev             /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev             none bind 0 0
/dev/pts         /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev/pts          none bind 0 0

sudo mount -a
sudo chroot /chroots/wheezy-armel/
echo wheezyArmel > /etc/debian_chroot

At this point your in the chroot jail and no longer require sudo.

Being British I changed mine to en_GB...

locale-gen en_GB en_GB.UTF-8
dpkg-reconfigure locales

Try ignoring the errors and carry on.

Thanks for any help!

Did you try setting LOCALE to C in the Plex /usr/local/bin Startup script?