If no temp transcode directory is specified, what folder does Plex use?

server-linux

I presume it will work out of /tmp, but I can't confirm.

I'm asking because I notice my root partition is filling up and I can't seem to find where files are getting generated. I've since specified a transcode folder on a larger partition, but I'd like to clean up the mess.

the default location for video next to your Library metadata directory (tmp_transcoding) , right at the top next to Library in /usr/lib/plexmediaserver

Forget it. Looks like I’m going to be following the instructions for moving my Plex instance to a larger partition. Bleh.

Appreciate the answer, but I’m now thinking I asked the wrong question!

What do you think might be the right question? What would you like to know :smiley:

@mdnitoil said:
Forget it. Looks like I’m going to be following the instructions for moving my Plex instance to a larger partition. Bleh.

If your linux system uses SystemD cat /proc/1/comm, it’s a snap to relocate it anywhere you want with /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf. Let me know if you need info/help

It’s already covered in your FAQ! Never gave much thought to where the default install was located. The problem with my / partition filling up has nothing to do with transcoding and everything to do with my metadata growing as I add more media. Looks like I’m following your relocation procedure. Fortunate I’m running a current flavor of Ubuntu, so it’s systemd.

If it takes a dump, I’ll be sure to post!

:+1:

Have fun!!

Nice instructions. Everything went easy peasy and now my root is down to 13%. Silly of me not to have noticed it before.

There aren’t much in the way of instructions on the Support Pages.

I wonder if there’s a way I can output some general (host localized) information during the installation. It wouldn’t be able to tell you were it was moved to but should be able to detect if it was moved from the standard location.

I’ll make a note to see what I can do after I finish setting up my new NAS here and am fully back online (and can develop again)