Installed plugins won't show

server-linux

This discussion was created from comments split from: Manually installed plugins won't show.

Just a brief addendum to point out, after changing/dbl checking all the permissions, I had to LOG OUT and log back in (for Linux Mint) in order for the manually added Plug-ins to show up in Plex. Just restarting the Plex Media Server service from command line is NOT enough.

Thanks for that, but you do realise this thread is more than 3 years old, right? And that this is the Synology NAS forum?

Yeah I know this is old thread but - as often happens however - Google brings it [some old thread] up as top result, in this case on “Plex Linux plugins not showing.”
Anyway, I’m actually back to point out that the actual problem of missing plugins, at least in 2018 under Debian-flavored Linux, wasn’t a permission issue at all but that plug-ins are NOT stored in
/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins - that empty folder is total headfake
INSTEAD, the plug-ins are in the User’s Home folder:
/home/username/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins
Maybe that is doc’d somewhere but I couldn’t find it (after couple hours Googling for answers - existing docs/comments pointing to 1st headfake location) found it instead by manually searching my drive. So perhaps some future Googler landing here will find this helpful.

Not in the Synology NAS Forum they wont.

Don’t rely on Google’s first return, instead, try looking around and reading where you are and when things were posted. You will find that your information can be placed into the correct locations instead of the incorrect location that way. You will also find the information is more accurate and relevant that way.