IOS 11 + FLAC

ios

#1

As IOS11 can now play FLAC natively how long before Plex supports this and stops transcoding?


#2

does anything ever get fucking answered on this forum?


#3

It’s in the same boat as native H.265, future release.


#4

It's already in the beta


#5

Syncing FLAC without transcoding will take more time, but will get to the app (or the server, since it's a server change) at some point.


#6

Thanks for your answers guys


#7

It's included in today's update, seems to work well. Tried with 16, 24 bit files.

I'm not sure about the hardware but I don't think it supports more than 24/48 anyway. And Airplay supports only 16/48 max iirc.


#8

If I play a FLAC file on iOS and Airplay it out to an Airport Express I will get max 16/44.1 correct? it would be nice if Plex on iOS had a way to see the bitrate of the flac file you were playing. It would also be nice if it had an icon for airplay in the interface so we didn't have to go to control center to send music out.


#9

@grahamtaustin said:
It would also be nice if it had an icon for airplay in the interface so we didn’t have to go to control center to send music out.

You have that in the player selector, right next to your iPhone:


#10

@sergiou87 said:

@grahamtaustin said:
It would also be nice if it had an icon for airplay in the interface so we didn’t have to go to control center to send music out.

You have that in the player selector, right next to your iPhone:

Thank You!


#11

Can anyone tell me is the files remain flac when syncing for offline listening please?

When it syncs it says “converting”.


#12

This has also been confusing for me, with no way to see the info for a track in the Now Playing screen it's almost impossible to know what quality of music you are listening to on the iPhone.


#13

@grahamtaustin said:
This has also been confusing for me, with no way to see the info for a track in the Now Playing screen it's almost impossible to know what quality of music you are listening to on the iPhone.

That's also my issue with FLAC etc, but from a different perspective. I cannot tell the difference between a FLAC file and an AAC file of around 192kbps, so I haven't stored my music in an uncompressed format. If you cannot tell the difference, does it really matter?


#14

@lambjon that is a good point - I'm not convinced either and that's definitely a valid strategy, I just have FLAC copies of CD in case they get lost or damaged - I can always convert them to whatever format I like and as storage is pretty cheap these days I don't lose any sleep over the space.

Still.....it would be good if there was some sort of indication as to what the file format is in the IOS app and I don't want my server to convert things unnecessarily.


#15

Roon is the way forward for hardcore audiophiles at home. It shows you source to listening device and what quality is at each stage! I'm gob smacked at how good it is. Plex all the way for video and music when out and about though.


#16

@sergiou87 said:
Syncing FLAC without transcoding will take more time, but will get to the app (or the server, since it’s a server change) at some point.

Any updates on this? I got an iPhone with lots of storage so I could fill it up with lossless music :’(


#17

Yeah, when we will able to syncing FLAC to iPhone?


#18

No news yet :frowning: We haven’t made progress on the server side. Unfortunately, it seems it’s more complex to implement than we imagined, so it will take some time :confused:


#19

too bad to hear it’s that complicated. wishing you the best in finding a solution (and obviously adding my +1 here)