iOS Update BUG! "Cannot retrieve the play queue for this item. Please try again."

ios

Device model: iPhone 6plus
iOS software version: iOS 8.4
Plex app version: iOS 4.0
Description of the issue:
I have just updated my Plex App to the new 4.0 version. Opened the app. Selected a video. When casting to Chromecast and playing the video will start playing and continue but the playback controls disappear. You have no control, so you try get back to the playback controls by finding the Chromecast and when trying to select the Chromecast to gain control of the playback the error (below) pops up everytime with no control. Only way to stop the playback is to hard power off the Chromecast. Horribly frustrating, see below:

I have tried my Android tab and it is able to cast normally and I have full control of the playback functions when I select the Chromecast during playback. This Plex for iOS update has ruined it.

Please please help me! This is a horrible update so far and I am sure you have put hours of work into it.

Thanks.

Also have this error when using iPhone 6 as a remote for PHS on Mac Mini attached to TV - happens when iPhone goes into screen lock. can be reset but annoying

Device model: iPhone 5
iOS software version: iOS 8.1
Plex app version: iOS 4.0

Seeing the same message when casting to Chromecast. HDMI CEC controls (pause/play) continue to work, but play queue is not accessible in the iOS app. Starting a new video works fine, but shows the same symptom in the iOS app. The current playback time of the the previous video is not retained and restarts if the video is replayed.

Email debugging in the iOS app is no longer located as described by https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593 and I cannot find the option anywhere in the new 4.0 app's settings. I've attached the Server Log for 0.9.12.8 on OSX 10.10.2.

Seems as though there are varying degrees of this bug :(

I too cannot send debugging information as it is not located where the documentation suggests.

I get that error when my server has Secure connections set to disabled or secure

when set to preferred it works.

Confirm issue - iPhone 6 streaming to ChromeCast

Exact same problem here; cannot play any content using the new Plex app with iPhone 6 and Chromecast. I have this queue message that stops everything on the app, but not the playback on the Chromecast. This is very annoying, since I have no control over the playback.

The playback works on the iPhone, though.

I'm also encountering this issue frequently. iPhone 6 on iOS 8.4

Confirming issue, iPhone 5S + Chromecast.
I can pick any video to cast and it will play (without any media controls) but I get the error as well.

I did some troubleshooting and here's what I found:

Secure - Something went wrong playing your media. Please try again. (needs fixing)
Preferred - Full Plex functionality minus media controls. (needs fixing)
Disabled - No server connection at all (needs fixing)

Note, the Infuse app works just fine for browsing/playing Plex on any of the above connection types.
I can only assume that Chromecasting works properly (Not really keen to pay $10 for that upgrade)

This is happening for me as well. I don't use Chromecast, I've tried playing through the browser and a couple of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices. Same error on all of them.

Also an issue for me with iPad 3 on iOS 8 and a Chromecast.

I see something that might be related here. My server ran out of space, but not due to adding media, it ran out due to the PLex cache filling up. I looked and various transcoding and sync files are there and continue to fill up. My disk is out of memory and removing the items appears to leave behind open ghost files that don't free up the space.

@ryanissamson said:
I see something that might be related here. My server ran out of space, but not due to adding media, it ran out due to the PLex cache filling up. I looked and various transcoding and sync files are there and continue to fill up. My disk is out of memory and removing the items appears to leave behind open ghost files that don't free up the space.

Update, after removing the contents of the cache folder and restarting plex, it released the storage space.

I've the same error on 2 iPads et 2 iPhone. I can't do anaything with my 3 chromecast. Please help us. Plex 4 has ruined my server :/

All iOS 8.4 - iPad 2 & 4, iPhone 5S & 6+

I just had the same issue happen again, so I may open a separate bug report, although it causes this.

Setting items to sync (some of them are from past version of iOS plex) causes Plex server to get "stuck" transcoding and syncing until it runs out of space and kills everything.

+1

Same error when casting

I had the same problem but this solved it (at least temporarily) :

• Go in Settings, Server and Network (on the left)
  • Disable completely secure connections

(Solution was found here, thanks to Amplesamples : forums.plex.tv/discussion/176448/problems-with-casting-to-chromecast#latest)

@etigrenier said:
I had the same problem but this solved it (at least temporarily) :

• Go in Settings, Server and Network (on the left)
  • Disable completely secure connections

(Solution was found here, thanks to Amplesamples : forums.plex.tv/discussion/176448/problems-with-casting-to-chromecast#latest)

Solution seems to be working... At least for now.

But still, WTF!?

Unfortunately, the Chromecast does not currently support secure connections. In order for the iOS app to correctly cast to the Chromecast (Which results in the Chromecast talking to your Plex Media Server) you will need to set secure connections to "Preferred".