Is Anyone Ever Going To Fix the Autoplay Problem?

roku

With the autoplay turned OFF Plex keeps playing the next video in the list if that video is 4:59 or less. It only brings you back to the menu if it's 5:00 or longer. I've complained about this before and there is still no update to fix this. I noticed a player update recently that actually looks much worse than it did before but still no autoplay fix. Are the programmers over there trying to fix problems or just ignore them and make new updates that make the player worse? I can't be any clearer than this, with auto play turned OFF it should NEVER play the next video in the list. If anyone at Plex actually reads this please fix it!

I never want to autoplay the next item, even if it’s only a one -minute video. Very annoying to me that you can’t really turn it off.

The option should be called “Subdue Autoplay” to reflect what it actually does.

When you employ the work-around to the ‘New and Improved’ PMP - using your phone app to control PMP - you’re gonna get autoplay whether you like it or not.

Plex is going to hammer this autoplay onto it’s users - one way or another - and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

@JuiceWSA said:
When you employ the work-around to the ‘New and Improved’ PMP - using your phone app to control PMP - you’re gonna get autoplay whether you like it or not.

Plex is going to hammer this autoplay onto it’s users - one way or another - and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

Yeah there is, stop using Plex altogether! If that’s the way they are going to behave forcing auto play then I’ll be done with Plex entirely. I have a right to watch my files any way I want and not have them forced to play one after the other just because some jerk programmers at Plex won’t give us the ability to shut it off. The fact that this is being forced and complaints ignored speaks volumes about the way Plex does things.

@Emissary35 said:

@JuiceWSA said:

Yeah there is, stop using Plex altogether! If that’s the way they are going to behave forcing auto play then I’ll be done with Plex entirely. I have a right to watch my files any way I want and not have them forced to play one after the other just because some jerk programmers at Plex won’t give us the ability to shut it off. The fact that this is being forced and complaints ignored speaks volumes about the way Plex does things.

The problem with that is that stopping using Plex does not impact Plex even a little bit. Even moving to Emby does not give Plex any incentive to change their ways. I have tried moving to Emby and Emby is a viable alternative to Plex and Emby’s support is head and shoulders ahead of Plex’s but Emby has a number of little irritations that slightly drop their attractiveness. Right now Emby and Plex are almost in a dead heat for my usage case.

I am using both side by side and jumping back and forth to try to make a final decision but that is quite hard for me. One thing I can say is that Emby’s photo implementation is VERY much better for me than Plex’s but I actually slightly prefer the Plex app on the Roku over Emby’s.

As far as handling “short” videos and continuous play goes I cannot be of any real help. I do not have any short videos to test with. But I do agree that continuous play should be a complete option and should NEVER happen unless the user has requested it. It should not matter if the video in short or long and the very idea that length matters for continuous play is absurd and the Plex employees that think it does are simply out of touch with the real world.

My current feeling is that Plex will never get better at customer relations unless the users can take measures that actually hurt their bottom line and that will not happen until the competition (Emby as there is nothing else right now) can gain a large share of the market.

One more thing: The free users of both Plex and Emby will never have an impact in the business one way or the other as Plex only cares about the bottom line. Also those of us that have a lifetime Plex Pass or the equivalent at Emby (I have both) can have no impact as the money is already spent. It is only the subscription users that matter to Plex so those are the ones that need to move in large numbers to get Plex’s attention and, right not, not enough of them are making any move to hurt Plex’s bottom line at all.

@Elijah_Baley said:

@Emissary35 said:

@JuiceWSA said:

The problem with that is that stopping using Plex does not impact Plex even a little bit. Even moving to Emby does not give Plex any incentive to change their ways. I have tried moving to Emby and Emby is a viable alternative to Plex and Emby’s support is head and shoulders ahead of Plex’s but Emby has a number of little irritations that slightly drop their attractiveness. Right now Emby and Plex are almost in a dead heat for my usage case.

I am using both side by side and jumping back and forth to try to make a final decision but that is quite hard for me. One thing I can say is that Emby’s photo implementation is VERY much better for me than Plex’s but I actually slightly prefer the Plex app on the Roku over Emby’s.

As far as handling “short” videos and continuous play goes I cannot be of any real help. I do not have any short videos to test with. But I do agree that continuous play should be a complete option and should NEVER happen unless the user has requested it. It should not matter if the video in short or long and the very idea that length matters for continuous play is absurd and the Plex employees that think it does are simply out of touch with the real world.

My current feeling is that Plex will never get better at customer relations unless the users can take measures that actually hurt their bottom line and that will not happen until the competition (Emby as there is nothing else right now) can gain a large share of the market.

One more thing: The free users of both Plex and Emby will never have an impact in the business one way or the other as Plex only cares about the bottom line. Also those of us that have a lifetime Plex Pass or the equivalent at Emby (I have both) can have no impact as the money is already spent. It is only the subscription users that matter to Plex so those are the ones that need to move in large numbers to get Plex’s attention and, right not, not enough of them are making any move to hurt Plex’s bottom line at all.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and respond so thoroughly. While you aren’t able to help i appreciate you taking the time, and I had never heard of Emy before but thanks to you I’m going to give it a shot and see what it’s like. If they don’t have this forced autoplay problem over there then it’s bye bye Plex since Plex won’t fix this issue and ignores complaints about it. Thanks again.

Oops. The autoplay setting not reachable when you only have videos of less than 5 mins is indeed a hole in our spec. We’ll have a think about how best to resolve and get something fixed there.

The autoplay when flinging content is also a hole/bug. We’re working on our companion/flinging spec now to fix that as well.

Hopefully for some perspective, I can explain why this is not a black and white thing - people do use postplay/autoadvance in different ways - some always want it, some want no postplay but always advance (music videos, kid’s shows) some want it with a time limit (binging while going to sleep), some hate it. We’d hoped the ‘auto advance’ setting in the postplay catered for these but it sounds like we missed some. Thanks for the write up and we’ll take a look at how best to deal with it.

Thanks!

@“Dom C” said:
Oops. The autoplay setting not reachable when you only have videos of less than 5 mins is indeed a hole in our spec. We’ll have a think about how best to resolve and get something fixed there.

The autoplay when flinging content is also a hole/bug. We’re working on our companion/flinging spec now to fix that as well.

Hopefully for some perspective, I can explain why this is not a black and white thing - people do use postplay/autoadvance in different ways - some always want it, some want no postplay but always advance (music videos, kid’s shows) some want it with a time limit (binging while going to sleep), some hate it. We’d hoped the ‘auto advance’ setting in the postplay catered for these but it sounds like we missed some. Thanks for the write up and we’ll take a look at how best to deal with it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response, it’s good to know this will be looked into and hopefully resolved very quickly. As long as with autoplay turned on it’s always on and with autoplay turned off it’s always off I think everyone will be happy. I also have to say I don’t like the auto advance thing, when the video ends I like it to bring me back to the same menu I pressed play from, not a new screen with suggestions of other things to click on, like the next and previous episodes or other similar shows. There should be a way to turn this off as well. Some people just want to play the video and when it’s over you are back on the same menu you started from, that’s all I want.