Is the latest Plex Media Player a glorified Web App?

plex-media-player

The latest release of the Plex Media Player seems to be a Universal App. I.e. it's a glorified Web Browser that you can launch in full screen? I.e. forget sophisticated Audio options (i.e. choosing SPDIF) forget framerate sync to screen, forget ability to use Windows HTPC remote. Is there a way to download the old app that had all this functionality?

EDIT: Ahhh. So it appears one of my kids changed out of "Enter TV Full Screen" mode, which converts it into this universal app mode. Very strange.

No.

So it appears one of my kids changed out of "Enter TV Full Screen" mode, which converts it into this universal app mode.

Yes, that's the desktop app, which still uses the whole PMP infrastructure (including player backend, which supports more codecs than the pure web player etc). Strangely you can't change settings in TV mode yet.

So how do I get back to the Player instead of this full screen app? This is so not useful.

Click on the TV icon in the upper right hand corner.

Can I download a previous version? I don't like the new one.

Generally not.

What exactly do you not like?

@vlang said:

No.

So it appears one of my kids changed out of "Enter TV Full Screen" mode, which converts it into this universal app mode.

Yes, that's the desktop app, which still uses the whole PMP infrastructure (including player backend, which supports more codecs than the pure web player etc). Strangely you can't change settings in TV mode yet.

Could you possibly find out when ANY of the settings available in TV Full Screen are going to be available to us who like to use a mouse (i.e. glorified web app mode/desktop mode).

The TV full screen settings apply to desktop mode too - there's just no UI in desktop mode. Adding this to desktop mode is planned. (No doubt I'd have preferred if we hadn't endlessly delayed this.)