Issue playing movie codec notification ...

plex-for-kodi

Having an issue playing a movie with .97 and .98a1, the same move plays just fine with .96 ??

Notification as follows…

PLEX ERROR: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character u’\u2022’ in position 9

Log please!

I'm also seeing this, only for items with multiple versions

yes this has multiple items, too... I have tried playing both items and neither play and both report the same codec issue

I should probably point out I cannot yet download .97 from the kodi repo yet? ( still reporting .96 is the latest I can access)

I got .97 from Github (Master)

logs here ...http://paste.ubuntu.com/23650677/

Here's the log

`00:03:16 T:2343719840 NOTICE: script.plex: PrePlay: Showing video info: eo.Movie object at 0x9e056d70>
00:03:16 T:2343719840 NOTICE: script.plex: API: GET https://192-168-1-101.8a01fa977c
5d4b15a73e92818faa4449.plex.direct:32400/library/metadata/48684?X-Plex-Token=****
00:03:18 T:2343719840 WARNING: CSkinInfo: failed to load skin settings
00:03:18 T:2343719840 NOTICE: script.plex: VideoPlayerWindow: Starting session (ID:
2612228576)
00:03:18 T:2343719840 ERROR: ______________________________________________________

00:03:18 T:2343719840 ERROR: script.plex: ERROR:
00:03:18 T:2343719840 ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
00:03:18 T:2343719840 ERROR: File "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.plex/lib/play
er.py", line 676, in playVideo
00:03:18 T:2343719840 ERROR: self.playerObject = plexplayer.PlexPlayer(self
.video, offset, forceUpdate=force_update)
00:03:18 T:2343719840 ERROR: File "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.plex/lib/_inc
luded_packages/plexnet/plexplayer.py", line 18, in __init
_
00:03:18 T:2343719840 ERROR: self.init(item, forceUpdate)
00:03:18 T:2343719840 ERROR: File "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.plex/lib/_inc
luded_packages/plexnet/plexplayer.py", line 22, in init
00:03:18 T:2343719840 ERROR: self.choice = mediadecisionengine.MediaDecisio
nEngine().chooseMedia(item, forceUpdate=forceUpdate)
`

Keith is likely going to want the full log. Just attach it here or use pastebin.

@mini.PLEX said:
yes this has multiple items, too... I have tried playing both items and neither play and both report the same codec issue

I should probably point out I cannot yet download .97 from the kodi repo yet? ( still reporting .96 is the latest I can access)

Thanks for the logs. We're investigating it. And it takes the repo mirrors 24-48 hours to update, sometimes sooner if we're lucky, but feel free to pull it down github if you're impatient. :)

@keithah said:

@mini.PLEX said:

Thanks for the logs. We're investigating it. And it takes the repo mirrors 24-48 hours to update, sometimes sooner if we're lucky, but feel free to pull it down github if you're impatient. :)

if its shiny and new I have no patience :)

Bug has been identified, will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for reporting!

Also, hows the new playlist hubs? Any issues?

..And the dev already released a new test build! Can you guys test this build below, and see if it fixes the bug you had above? Thanks!

@keithah said:
Bug has been identified, will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for reporting!

Also, hows the new playlist hubs? Any issues?

Thanks @keithah

I've not experimented much yet with the new playlist hub, played a few movies and all seems good no issues to report. If i find any i shall let you know.

Is the new hub implementation designed to nolonger have the need to actually enter into the playlist button as they are all accessible from the hub now?

Always asking for more I know ;) ...My ideal scenario would be to use the hub just like the movie hub with rows of movie posters, would be great to see a row of James Bond posters presented from my bond movie playlist like wise a row of all my Marvel movies etc (sure you get the idea)

I don't like the current way Plex/PMP presents playlists in list form with a fanart thumb. I'm sure that my way of managing my media is likely more in keeping with how Plex imagined Collections to work and I know that Plex has plans for a collections overhaul.

Playlists for me is quick easy way to access the media i want to which works, but the current presentation is missing a bit of plex magic in my opinion.

Depends how many playlists you have. If you have more than the Home screen will fit, I doubt it will show them all, so you have to enter for that.

There's definitely some optimization that could happen with Playlists, and I don't have any visibility into their thoughts around them, or Collections.

just tested .98a2 and it has not fixed the codec issue (movie still doesn't play).

wh n playing the original version it reports a 9 codec position error and 21 position when playing the mobile optimised version

Can I get another log?

Is this a specific movie that won't play, or any movie with multiple versions won't? I've tested half a dozen and all of them seem to work for me.

@keithah this is a specific movie that won't play... if I'm honest I only started experimenting with the optimised versions recently and only created one lol, and seeing with.97 that you now support optimised version thought i'd give it a bsh. I created a mobile optimised version from a large .MKV file.

I shall create some more optimised versions from other movies and let you know what happens.

Logs for this movie here... http://paste.ubuntu.com/23652261/

I've tried 3 different movies with versions, and all failed to play. All movies are mkv with srt subtitles.
Also the settings menu fails to show up for these movies.

Hi, I do the same with all my movies. Mkv, avi, mp4 ...
The settings menu for each movie does not work either.
My server is: Version 0.9.14.6 windows.

*Sorry for the repetition.

Hi, I have the same error with all my movies. Mkv, avi, mp4 ...
The setup menu for each movie does not work either.

My server is: 0.9.14.6 windows version.

@ilfrance we need to see logs:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/246913/getting-kodi-logs#latest

@nasdar you're running a very old unsupported version of the Plex Media Server. Please update to the latest and then try again. If it still doesn't work, we need to see a log too.

Can you guys try this build and see if your issues are resolved?

If not, please post a link to a full log for us to look at.