Issue with version 1.22 (7788) on ATV 4K - impossible to watch 1080p x265 files

apple-tv

#1

Hi All,

Yesterday the 11th of January 2018, my Apple TV Plex app has been upgraded to version 1.22 (7788).
With the previous version, everything was fine. It was fine to play movies encoded with x265.
But since version 1.22, it's not possible anymore!

The screen remains black and the movie "jump" to the end in few minutes and back to the menu or propose next episode (like movie is over)...
I said that it was perfect with the previous version. For example, I have watch Star wars 7 one week ago. No issues.
Today, with version 1.22, impossible to watch it at all!

FYI: it's still working fine on the Mac or the iOS devices... also on the Plex app installed on the LG TV.

Do you have any ideas? I can see on the release note that version 1.22 (7788) that they have "fix" an issue for ATV 4K on HDR screen.
FYI: ma TV doesn't support HRD. It's a LG TV OLED without 4K and without HDR...

Is possible to reinstall the previous version?
Do I have to try to downgrade the PMS (on the Synology)?
Do I have to change a setting somewhere?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Xavier
(sorry for my approximative English :-)


#2

Additional information:
If I “force” the Apple TV to display HDR, it’s working fine! I can start and watch my movie.

But the quality is VERY bad… The colors are bad.
Sure, my television doesn’t support HRD…

With HDR forced:

With SDR:


#3

After many tests, it's NOT related to Apple TV plex version, but to the PMS version itself!
(version 1.11.0.4666 causes issue with Apple TV 4K connected to a non-HDR TV)

I have downgraded to version 1.10.1.4602 and everything's fine again! :-)
I'll open a new topic under the relevant section.

Thanks


#4

Seem to be having similar playback issues on regular ATV4. Will update after further investigation.


#5

Same here, 1080p h265 files on ATV4 (non 4k) are causing playback to skip around and actually changing to auto convert on the ATV4 settings causes my plex app to crash altogether when replaying the same file after.... =(


#6

@electroach said:
After many tests, it's NOT related to Apple TV plex version, but to the PMS version itself!
(version 1.11.0.4666 causes issue with Apple TV 4K connected to a non-HDR TV)

I have downgraded to version 1.10.1.4602 and everything's fine again! :-)

EDIT: Downgrading to 1.10.1.4602 worked fine for me as well.

Info on how to do that here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/223300/osx-rollback-update


#7

So will this be fixed in the next version? Had to do the downgrade to play 1080 H265 on my standard ATV4 (non 4k)


#8

@Fatalmuzza said:
So will this be fixed in the next version? Had to do the downgrade to play 1080 H265 on my standard ATV4 (non 4k)

Hi,

After few tests, I confirm that it’s not the Apple TV that have a problem, but the Plex Media Server version 1.11.
Downgrading to 1.10.1.4602 fix the issue.


#9

@electroach said:

@Fatalmuzza said:
So will this be fixed in the next version? Had to do the downgrade to play 1080 H265 on my standard ATV4 (non 4k)

Hi,

After few tests, I confirm that it’s not the Apple TV that have a problem, but the Plex Media Server version 1.11.
Downgrading to 1.10.1.4602 fix the issue.

Worked fine on iPad however. So I am thinking atv4/server combo is the culprit.

I’ve seen the other thread where Plex would crash with the newer server. But this seems different.

To cut a long story short, has this been officially recognised and is a fix is on its way in the next release?