Kindle Fire Child Profile

android-mobile

I installed the Plex app on a new Kindle Fire. Once the Plex app is setup, I can change the storage location in the Plex app Settings to the SD card. If I change to a child profile, the SD card is not an option for storage. Is this a limit of the Plex app or the Kindle Child Profiles?

Thank you,
Chad

I was thinking of getting a Fire Kids Edition Tablet for my kids and using Plex to access all their favorite movies and shows. I'd love to know what your experience is with this. I, too, have a seperate profile for all of their content and was considering the SD card route.

The internal 16Gb is Ok for storing the movies, but I would like to use the SD card slot. The option to store the PLEX content on the SD is available if you in the main profile for the device. I even switched to my child's account within the PLEX app and I could store movies on the SD card. As soon as I changed to the child profile on the Kindle the option for SD card storage is unavailable. It does not show up for either the main PLEX account or the child account I setup in the PLEX app. I can move the PLEX app to the storage card and the child profile can still execute/run the app, but it can not store content there.

The Netflix app seems to store DL movies to the SD card. This issue might be a limitation in the PLEX app on the Kindle Fire.

I have the same problem. As soon as I switch to my kids fire profile the external SD card option doesn't show up in the plex app. If I copy the movie files directly onto the SD card and use an app like VLC it seems them and can play them fine. But then, I lose all the Plex niceties and VLC crashes all the time.

So I would say it is a bug with Plex, which is a shame because this is one of the major reasons I use Plex in the first place.

I am having the exact same issue with my Fire HD 8 tablets. I purchased the 8GB tablet, but got 64GB cards, only to realize now I cannot use the external SD cards. I'm not so sure this is a Plex bug. This may be an Amazon Kindle limitation for child profiles. Has anyone found a solution/workaround?

It seems to be a limitation in the Plex software. We Netflix and that app will only allow content download with external storage. The child profiles are allowed to DL movies from Netflix.

Chad

Other apps can read items on the SD card without issue it's seems the issue is only when running Plex under a childs profile, anyone know a way round this?

Encountering this too - we only bought them the 8gb models, so this is going to be an issue.

I had been considering a different launcher than the Amazon launcher anyway, so perhaps I'll do that and see if that addresses the issue.

I've just spent almost 2 hrs on the phone with Amazon technical support RE: this issue.

It eventually comes down to the behaviour of the Childrens Profile. As it is an in-built Application (and not a true user profile), it is only designed to see and operate with the internal storage.

I tried what someone previously suggested (RE: Netflix) and it also only saw the internal storage when launched in the context of the Childrens Profile (which seems consistent).

Amazon tech support were logging a development ticket to suggest that this should be a future enhancement developed for it.

So my work-around is that I will continue to use the Children's profile for my girls to use and access all the games, etc... they want; but when we are on a big trip (flight, car journey, etc..) I'll be there...
... so I will simply log in using my parental profile, and let them watch and access the locally sync'd movies/tv shows in the app (Plex, Netflix, etc...) which I will have selected (age appropriate) for them to watch.

Not ideal, but a work-around for now.

@davidczu said:
I've just spent almost 2 hrs on the phone with Amazon technical support RE: this issue.

It eventually comes down to the behaviour of the Childrens Profile. As it is an in-built Application (and not a true user profile), it is only designed to see and operate with the internal storage.

I tried what someone previously suggested (RE: Netflix) and it also only saw the internal storage when launched in the context of the Childrens Profile (which seems consistent).

Amazon tech support were logging a development ticket to suggest that this should be a future enhancement developed for it.

So my work-around is that I will continue to use the Children's profile for my girls to use and access all the games, etc... they want; but when we are on a big trip (flight, car journey, etc..) I'll be there...
... so I will simply log in using my parental profile, and let them watch and access the locally sync'd movies/tv shows in the app (Plex, Netflix, etc...) which I will have selected (age appropriate) for them to watch.

Not ideal, but a work-around for now.

This USED to work but now even the SD card under the parent profile gets stuck at the point of download. Is this workaround still working for you?

I don't think there is a work around. I have the videos for the kids profile transcode down to a lower resolution so we can fit more on the internal storage.

I have the same issue here. I bought SD cards specifically so I could put lots of content on these tablets for the kids. :(

same issue here any resolution a year after this was reported.....?

Nothing yet. I think this issue is with Amazon not Plex.

Gotcha. Makes sense from what I have been reading.

Add my two HD Fire 8s to this list as well. Lifetime Plex sub for years and now got hit with this issue. Is it plex, or is it amazon? Please help! My plex actually hangs on the kids profiles after I have enabled the SD card on the main (aka parent) login. Wiping and reloading the app lets me log in one time on the kids profile and then it hangs. Really displeased about this.

No work around yet. Looks line it is a limitation I the kids profile. If to try and download from Netflix you have the same issue. No access to the SD card.

This worked for me on 2 Fire HD Kids Edition tablets (Fire OS v5.6)

Assumptions:

1. Your tablet USB options are set to Media Device…can be changed from an adults (admin’s) profile.
  2. After plugging the tablet into your computer, the necessary USB drivers have been automatically installed. You can confirm this in the following steps.
  3. The SD card is already installed into the tablet and has been formatted/configured…basically it’s ready for use.

Make It Hap’n Cap’n:

1. Connect tablet to computer via USB.

2. Login to your child’s profile on the tablet. THIS IS THE KEY TO MAKING IT WORK!!

3. Open File Explorer on your computer.

4. Navigate to This PC > Fire > Storage Device

5. Create a new folder on the Storage Device called Movies and put any movie files that you want the kids to see in there.

Once finished, simply launch Plex from the kids profile. It would appear that Plex/Kids Profile can see the SD card, but perhaps in a “read-only” mode. It’s worth noting that I turned the WiFi connection OFF on my kids tablets while we were travelling on the plane, so Plex was only looking for Local and synced content.

Plex will also look inside subfolders and pull the “folder.jpg” artwork, so if you want to keep the cover art, just put each movie into it’s own folder (following the Plex recommending naming conventions) along with it’s associated cover art file.

I think what confuses people is that each account has it’s own permissions on the SD card. So, if you logged into your own profile on the tablet, then File Explorer on your computer would should any folders/files on the SD card that are associated with your profile. Launching the “kids profile” on the tablet would then cause File Explorer to show any folders/files associated with the kids profile and so on.

Anyway, worked for me…hope this helps someone!

Sorry the image is so huge. I just grabbed a quick screenshot, but my resolution is 4K so it scaled up big time.

tbachman1688, that is a work around to the Sync issue. I don’t want to plug my Kindle into a computer and do the transfer. I would like to use the built in Sync feature of Plex and use the SD card storage from within the Kid Profiles.