Kodi not caching a transcoded video?

plex-for-kodi

Hi All, just checking in if this is normal behaviour.

Running up to date plex server in a docker on an 8 core Xeon machine with 24GB Ram. I've been using Plex add-in for Kodi and plexkodiconnect for months in my own network and never noticed this since I direct stream/play everything.

(I have libreelec running on both a rasp pi2 and a dedicated amd kabini HTPC machine both easily capable of playing 1080p...)

I have hooked up my mother in law with Kodi on a raspberry pi2 same as I have. It works awesome. Except... when Plex or plexkodiconnect can direct stream (4mpbs average bitrate or less) kodi caches as usual based on settings in my advancedsettings.xml file and never stutters. But when Plex needs to transcode higher bitrate movies, kodi does not cache anything and the dreaded buffering circle comes up for 5-10 seconds.

I've watched my server processor when transcoding (both forced locally and over the web) and it's not even breaking a sweat. I've tested on wifi and wired with forced transcoding with same behaviour. I have 10 mbps total outbound and streaming same movies to a chrome browser is almsot always perfect.

Is this normal that kodi won't cache a transcoded stream? I'd love it to cache exactly how it does for all other streams.

thank you.

(
advancedsettings.xml is the following with only memorysize attribute changed for kodi or my main htpc. I realize readfactor 40 is probably excessive but I've also tested with 10, 20, and 30 and there was no change in behaviour. It also works for every single other stream I've ever tried.)

)

anyone can help?