Latest Plex on Shield TV crashes a lot. Just me?

android-tv
fire-tv

So for a few weeks now I've been noticing a lot of crashing in the Plex app on the Shield TV. This isn't limited to playback, in fact that is the one time it hardly does crash. It's quite often when scrolling through libraries and menus or just after selecting something.

Each time I get the grey Plex app has stopped responding window pop up with the option to wait, restart or send feedback.

Anyone else having this occur semi regularly?

Experiencing the same thing here - especially when quickly scrolling l-r through a row of content.

@analogue said:
Experiencing the same thing here - especially when quickly scrolling l-r through a row of content.

Thanks, good to know it’s not just me. Yes the quick scroll left and right is absolutely guaranteed to cause a crash.

How long has it been happening for you?

It crashes a lot on the Mi Box too…

The l-r scrolling lockups seem to have started recently. Can’t pin point it but probably the within the last 2-3 weeks.

@analogue said:
The l-r scrolling lockups seem to have started recently. Can’t pin point it but probably the within the last 2-3 weeks.

Out of interest has anything else in your setup changed? I recently changed both my TV and Amp and it would be good to take that out of the equation.

@CraftyClown said:

@analogue said:

Out of interest has anything else in your setup changed? I recently changed both my TV and Amp and it would be good to take that out of the equation.

Nope, no changes at all on my side.

@analogue said:

@CraftyClown said:

@analogue said:

Nope, no changes at all on my side.

Ok, well that’s good to know. Looks like it is a bug then.

Has no one else experienced this?

Same issue here while scrolling in the library, too.

I switched due to different issue to kodi with the croneters PlexKodiConnect on my shield. It’s a lot of better as the native app.

I can confirm the same horizontal scrolling lockups. But I’ve also had it dump out of playback and pop messages of the connection being too slow (even though I’m playing local content over wired GigE - content that I’ve been playing locally for years).

I confirm the horizontal scrolling bug too…

Mine is crashing incessantly as well. I realize plex is mostly community supported, but i did pay for a lifetime pass and it is their highest paid offering - a little direct attention from plex themselves would be nice.

I also have the same issue. I’m only using the Plex client app. I have a Plex server on a Windows 10 PC running perfectly. I get crashes with the same window pop up with the option to wait, restart or send feedback. I am running Ethernet Gig, with wireless disabled. When I uninstall updates, it works fine until it updates the Plex app again. Not sure how to stop the Plex app from updating.

Also, I’m running the Beta channel on the PC Plex server, if that helps. I don’t remember it crashing while playing something, but certainly while trying to select. Also, I have Plex apps on mobile devices that work fine.

Same issue here with interface crashing when scrolling left or right. Also numerous issues with content just stopping during playback and queuing the next item. Seems to have been an issue that started in the last month or two.

I have a similar issue. I am running an nVidia Shield (500GB) running the latest version of PLEX. I have tried two configurations:

Configuration 1: nVidia Shield as a PLEX media server and client. This is where I have the most issues. The PLEX client crashes about once or twice an hour. Scrolling mostly causes it to crash. It also does crash while a show is being played but that is somewhat less frequent.

Configuration 2: An Intel NUC (running Windows 10) as the PLEX media server. In this scenario, the nVidia Shield is run as a PLEX client and the PLEX media server is disabled on the Shield (this is important). This is much more reliable. PLEX still crashes but only once or twice a week. The interface also seems to run faster (better scrolling, etc.). But in this configuration you must disable the PLEX media server component so that it is not running. Only the PLEX client is running. Until I did this the crashes were much more frequent.

Some other config info: Network is 1GbE wired (no WiFi). Synology 8 drive NAS.

My plex setup was working flawlessly on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2017) for months, and then this update is causing all the crashes! I have it crash sometimes on startup, when scrolling through menus, when resuming playback, and then randomly during playback. Like I say its super frustrating as its been working fine for ages… hopefully they fix it quickly as all my devices to watch it on are Android! Oh and the same crashes happen on the Fire TV (2017) and Fire TV Stick (2017) too. All devices are up to date, and not messed with from stock (no root etc).

Hmm that’s not good, can’t seem to replicate the issues you are all describing here. Would you be able to grab some client logs and a brief way to replicate the issues?

I’m not seeing crashing but I no longer have audio through my Shield controller with headphones plugged in. It works for everything else though but not when playing anything from Plex. I even get audio if I go into Plex and go into a TV series, I get the audio there but as so as I actually play a show or movie, it comes out of my surround sound speakers. This latest release was another step backwards.

I’m having constant crashes on my Nvidia Shield 2017 as well. Running beta server on a local network Ubuntu machine. All hardwired. Mostly press play on live TV and it drops out and Plex app restarts via android tv. So very annoying. I just got my antenna dialed in perfectly. Wife wants me dead. I can watch on any other device iOS phones computer via web and it’s fine. The nvidia shield just croaks on the tv stuff. I can play the news feed. Though I really am a Plex Pass user for the DVR stuff. Don’t know what to try next.

I submitted crash reports already.

@scottyducati said:
I’m having constant crashes on my Nvidia Shield 2017 as well. Running beta server on a local network Ubuntu machine. All hardwired. Mostly press play on live TV and it drops out and Plex app restarts via android tv. So very annoying. I just got my antenna dialed in perfectly. Wife wants me dead. I can watch on any other device iOS phones computer via web and it’s fine. The nvidia shield just croaks on the tv stuff. I can play the news feed. Though I really am a Plex Pass user for the DVR stuff. Don’t know what to try next.

I submitted crash reports already.

Same here only running the latest public server release on Win10 box. Attempting to start LiveTV on any Android device causes the app to crash and restart. This happens for me from the Shield TV, FireTV, and any Android phone. Playback works from a Win10 PC, Xbox One (with stuttering, but that’s another issue), Roku, & iOS. I can submit logs if needed, but it sounds like folks have already done that.