LG TV PLEX app won’t play video, says video timed out

smart-tv

A new problem that just happened today after working just fine for well over a year on a 2016 75UH8500. No changes to the server or PLEX application updates between working and not working. I’ve searched the forums and found that there have been multiple references to problems playing video on LG TVs. I’ve not been able to find any real answers. I have deleted the app and reloaded it. I have rebooted the router/network and my NAS, and I have deleted the device from PLEX - nothing has worked. The LG app shows all content and responds just fine until trying to play a video, then it hangs and eventually says the video timed out. Everything plays just fine on all my other devices (Xbox one, Apple TV, mobiles, Samsung TV, computer. Very frustrating. Does anyone have a good fix? Thanks in advance, and I’ll keep looking to see if PLEX has addressed this problem somewhere.

Can you turn on logging in the app then grab your Plex media server logs after playback fails/times out, we can take a look

I am also suffering a similar with my LG TV 75UH656T with Webos 3.30 and plex on LG 3.13.14.

I have attached my plex media server logs.

I can. I just discovered that when I go to some of the movies using the LG TV app it says they are unavailable on the movie intro screen (movie picture, description, etc.). On any of my other devices they show up just fine, and play just fine. Why would that happen? Looks like it may have something to do with the LG app not communicating with the server correctly. The LAN connection is solid as everything else works on the LG TV (netflix, vudu, etc.). The LG TV PLEX app has all the medial library content as it shows all the movies/videos. But, it isn’t showing one of the latest I added a while ago today. I have done a “scan library files” on the server as well. Still no success.

Can you help me with providing the proper log file content? I turned on logging in the app on the LG TV. How do I find the log file produced? Do I need to turn it on under Web/General/Debug on the server as well? I can see a very large file being generated when I do turn it on with the server, but I can’t see any references to the LG TV. And, I’m not sure where to find the file on the PR4100 other than simply the “You can view the debug logs here” link on the Plex Server Web/Debug page.

Thanks for trying to help.

I am also having this same problem with Plex App on the LG 2016, i tried many of the same things and still not working. Connection to the server and cover art are fine but when trying to stream, it times out. Plex streams fine to the other devices in the house so it does not appear to be on the server side.

@z3130934 said:
I am also suffering a similar with my LG TV 75UH656T with Webos 3.30 and plex on LG 3.13.14.

I don’t see anything attached. 3.13.15 was released today can you give it a try

@nielsdb said:
Can you help me with providing the proper log file content?

The smart tv app writes to the Plex Media Server.log . You can get your server logs in Settings>Server>Help there is a button to download them. https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/

@BigWheel said:

@z3130934 said:

I don’t see anything attached. 3.13.15 was released today can you give it a try

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1650656/#Comment_1650656

This update is not showing in Australia 3.13.15, but the server update has resolved my resume play. WebOS 1.4

Exactly the same issue Plex for LG v3.13.14 webOS 3.3.0 the app on the TV hasn’t updated since 2016 so it’s PMS on the computer that is the root problem. I wish I could downgrade that to at least use it still this is really frustrating.

For the record I uninstalled/reinstall the app on the TV and PMS on my MacBook. Signed out and back in on both, set a static IP on my TV and added it to the list of IPs that it allows without auth. Nothing fixes this so it appears to be a bug that needs to be patched on PMS. Since there’s no way to downgrade that I’m stuck. Argh!

I too have the same issue and have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on the tv, everything else works except the lg app
Very frustrating

Yeah, same issue here. App version 3.13.14 (.15 is not yet available in the store), webOS 3.3.0.

PMS version was 1.9.0.4252-d07c1f408, and I upgraded it to 1.12.3.4947-b9dbb6d8e, but no effect, still broken.

The issue came up literally without me touching anything — no PMS update, no client update, nothing. It was working ~24 hours ago, but absolutely nothing will play now, not even music.

my media server version is Version 1.12.3.4947
Web OS 04.70.71
App version - 2.1.0
LG Smart TV

@Humplick said:
my media server version is Version 1.12.3.4947
Web OS 04.70.71
App version - 2.1.0
LG Smart TV

Why do you thing your Tv app version is 2.1.0

Check two areas, devices in PMS settings and About is Tv app settings

This is a history line of updates that are automatically applied:

thats strange in the app store it says its plex version 2.1.0

but when i check PMS its version 3.13.14 of the app

Checking in. Working just fine yesterday, dead today. Won’t play videos.

@Humplick said:
thats strange in the app store it says its plex version 2.1.0

but when i check PMS its version 3.13.14 of the app

Thats not strange check devices in PMS

Same problem here, also lg tv. Works fine streaming to iPad. Would love a fix

Same issue here. Works on everything else (Chromecast, web player, Android app) but no love on the LG TV. Tried restarting everything and updating everything.

PMS 1.12.3.4947-b9dbb6d8e

LG Smart TV
Web OS 05.30.10
App version - 3.13.14

Alternate Plex app (xplay) works without any issues.

Same problem here, on my both LG TVs. My plex app on iPad works just fine. Would love a fix.

Hello,
I’m French (sorry for my bad english) , Plex worked great last night on my LG TV, but since the update PlexMediaServer-1.12.3.4947-b9dbb6d8e; can not play a video The application works (visualization of the library, etc …), but during the reading, it remains fixed then error.
On my HTPC, my PCs and my XBox, no problem reading, it’s ok.