LG webOS direct play without transcoding

smart-tv

Are you going to fix it?

It works only without subtitles.
When choosing subs stops working,
Please not that the third party xplay app works just fine with subs !!!

Could you please clarify. Are you saying that it works when subtitles are turned off or if subtitles do not exist in the content. My gut is telling me you mean that the subtitles do not exist in the content but would be helpful for you to clarify.

They mean when Subtitles are enabled. They can exist in the content without affecting the ability to Direct Play.

Plex on WebOS can definitely direct play. Almost all models should handle h264. Recent models can direct play h265. A current model with the Early Access beta can even direct play MPEG2. What kind of file is failing to direct play? Check out the section on the right about logs, and you might consider pasting a “Get Info” on the video file in question so we can see what codecs it uses.

Hmmm that is not what I saw. I have a 4K file, with subtitles in the content. I had to strip out all the extra audio and subtitles before it would direct play on my TV. I still had a buffering issue bc the content needs about 70 megs of bandwidth and the ethernet port on the TV is only 100 meg.

I would be happy to make available the movie on my cloud storage, if you would like to test on your side. It is 52 gig in size.

did you turn off the subtitles? you don’t need to strip it, just turn it off.
it should direct play than

It did not…only when I removed them did it finally direct play.

You said you stripped out extra audio? Are you sure it wasn’t an issue with the audio, rather than subtitles?

How can you tell if it’s playing direct or not?

I’m having an issue with video not maintaining a constant speed and therefore going out of sync with the audio, and I think knowing whether it’s playing directly will be a helpful first step in solving this.

@“khaztr@gmail.com” said:
How can you tell if it’s playing direct or not?

I’m having an issue with video not maintaining a constant speed and therefore going out of sync with the audio, and I think knowing whether it’s playing directly will be a helpful first step in solving this.

You need to go to Plex Media server/ Status/Now playing. Hover the cursor over the Title to gain the information.

Thanks! Looks like direct play is working for me only in the sense that the server isn’t transcoding. However, as I mentioned above, the video doesn’t run at a constant speed and gets way out of sync with the audio. In a sense, direct play isn’t working for me either, but in a different way than the OP is mentioning, so I’ll be leaving now…

I have Synology NAS with LG WebOS TV.
When I playing any content without subtitles (or disabled) it works fine(no transcoding), but when I enabling subs it doesn’t stream, getting errors message that my “server is not powerful enough to convert video”, which means that it tries to preform transcoding.
For me it looks like a bug.
With Xplay client on same TV works fine with same subs and without transcoding

I am hoping its a bug.

is there someone from PLEX support in this forum?

@“edy.bro@gmail.com” said:
I have Synology NAS with LG WebOS TV.
When I playing any content without subtitles (or disabled) it works fine(no transcoding), but when I enabling subs it doesn’t stream, getting errors message that my “server is not powerful enough to convert video”, which means that it tries to preform transcoding.
For me it looks like a bug.
With Xplay client on same TV works fine with same subs and without transcoding

Same exact situation here with a netgear readynas 102 running latest firmware and plex from it. Really furstrating that I have to resort to paying for a russian app to do what I bought the tv for :frowning:

Everything I’ve read points to the profile that plex uses on the tv. Xplay uses a better profile that actually mirrors what the tv is capable of, rather than this garbage profile used by plex.

EDIT: I have found, just now, an inconvenient workaround that may help the developers fix the issue. If you use the web browser on the LG webos tv, you can go to plex.tv and use the web interface. Videos play fine, just like xplay. It’s obvious the problem lies with the plex app profile.

you are right… just verified it.
now we just need the fix for the webos app.

I suggest everyone send messages to this plex employee with logs:

To all reading.

There appear to be a few issues floating around.

Before sending off logs, kindly verify the subtitle settings in the app itself. Some apps were found to be set as “ALWAYS BURN” Subtitles.
This isn’t a bug. It’s working as instructed by the user setting.

Plex/Web and the Plex.tv settings provide control of this. It is independent of the app itself.
The TV app itself does not yet have integrated control. They are working on this.

Control the settings here.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203810286-what-media-formats-are-supported/