List of Bugs occuring when using the app often

windows-store-app

Hi All,

So I have been using the Windows App (v3.0.83) on my Windows 10 Laptop quite extensively over the last couple of months. Apart from the occaisonal uber Bug that makes the App completely useless I thought I'd list a number of minor bugs that can be quite annoying when using the app more often.

Update for 3.1.13 - I have thoroughly tested the latest version and some bugs have been fixed - some are worse. The below list has been updated accordingly. The bold text represents my new comments on any given issue. Italics is an ongoing bug that I have encountered. Deleted Comments have been added to the "Old Comments Section"

1. ~~The app doesn't always start fully~~
    Haven't seen this happen at all with 3.1.13

2. ~~The app sometimes doesn't load the local content~~
    This has been fixed. Sometimes the app gets stuck loading, but switching between libraries fixed the issue. I presume there is some timeout happening.

3. ~~When watching anything, then pausing it and minimizing the plex window, to for example check/answer an email or do anything else, Plex will crash. ~~
    This has been mostly fixed. On rare occasions Plex will crash when continuing to play after a sleep cycle - but difficult to reproduce.

4. Watched Status doesn't stick
    I think this is one of the worst Bugs in the system. When you watch something, at least on my installation, Watched status doesn't stick and all my local content looks continuously like I have unwatched/partially watched shows. Setting them as Watched using the button doesn't do anything and it returns to its original state. If no internet connection is available it'll sometimes set it as Watched but the minute I'm connected again this returns to some other level - usually one where it looks like it was watched 98%. Quite annoying to having to keep track of what I have watched particularly with lots of synced content. - This is still an issue! What makes it worse when you are connected to a wifi network then watched status is taken from the server - which may be wrong. There needs to be a way of only sending watched/unwatched status without sync. And you never know what you have watched when offline... This is annoying really as it doesn't show any of that on the screen, on or offline. Only shows how many files are synced.

5. Plex skips a beat during the first 5 seconds of any play
    Anything that I play in the first 5 seconds it does a little skip as if it skips a beat (I like to call is PlexArrythmia). Nothing major really just an annoyance. This also applies when you resume a given video stream. - This has actually gotten worse. The movie starts playing before it even finishes loading and then starts again from the beginning. When offline when starting something in the middle then it can sometimes even start from the beginning (and I need to manually forward to the desired position, if I remember of course).

6. ~~Plex doesn't play a given file~~
    This has been fixed.

7. Buttons up on top of the screen crash Plex
    Here I am talking about the Folder that shows up above such as TV Shows -> Show 1 -> Season 1 -> Episode 1, you click anywhere on that thing and Plex crashes. (Caught me out particularly when using my laptop in touch mode). - This is only broken on the local content, on the server content this works fine. And it's only only the root link, i.e. TV Shows or Movies, but anything in between is fine.

8. Touch mode design for returning isn't great
    This I mentioned in a different thread and I have been told the Plex team is looking at it, but I wanted it to be part of my little list of bugs. Basically I find it hard to navigate back, forward is nice and easy but going back seems difficult as for my windows app I need to swipe down to see the back arrow, same goes for when watching a movie/tv show - getting out of the screen via Touch is quite annoying and difficult. In Laptop mode Esc does a great job getting out. forums.plex.tv/discussion/233778/windows-10-app-design#latest - Nothing has changed here I still have the same issues.

I think that is it for now. If I do find anything else I'll add it to this list with Dates and updates.
I'll also be happy to add any other users bugs that they have found to this list - just add a comment below and if you have a thread open the associated thread so there will be direct links to specific issues.

Thanks for all the great work Plex - I have been enjoying this for a while now :).
Best
chaos

Old Comments:
1. Now this bug seems the most random. When the computer has been on for a while and Plex has had been used during that on time plex just might not even start up - no splash screen nothing. However the executable is running. Killing it and trying again usually has no effect. The only way I can fix it is by restarting the computer.

1. On rare occasions the app opens fine but local content isn't loaded - even after a 5 min wait. Only option to fix is to close Plex and reopen (hoping that point 1 doesn't occur).

2. Just as I said in the description Plex will crash when minimized - although again not always.

1. Sometimes, when you are lucky, everything loads up fine and then you press play and nothing happens. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer. Restarting plex doesn't fix it.

Thanks for the great job compiling this list @chaosmaker. I'm happy to say that I believe I've fixed #3 this morning. What was happening was that the system was asking us to suspend the app, then aborting it when you went back to the app, but due to some advanced changes we've make recently to accommodate sync and camera upload while the app is suspending, we weren't yet correctly handling that scenario, so it made it look like the app was crashing, when indeed it was just finishing suspending.

Regarding video playback, that looks like behaviors we're seeing (and reporting to Microsoft) on multi-channel audio (AC-3, DTS).

Do you think you could post the logs for #7? I'm not able to repro on 3.0.83 here.

Regards,
Pedro

Thanks for getting back to me @pombeirp . Great you have already fixed #3. For #7 it is very reproducible on my installation. I have attached the Diagnostics. if you check Plex.log.1 you should see this at the end of the file which is where I navigated somewhere in my synced content and then just clicked "TV Shows" at the top (today it froze for a second or two and then closed).

2016-10-19 14:04:20:5182 [40] ERROR - [AppCore] - Unhandled InvalidOperationException: NoMatch
System.InvalidOperationException: NoMatch
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x17cd960
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x1ddb79c
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x4511ee
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x451168
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x699af7
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x1ec501f
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x69993e
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x497d7c
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x16d650c
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x1749a76
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x17499a4
   at Plex.AppCore.OnCoreApplicationUnhandledErrorDetected(Object sender, ApplicationModel.Core.UnhandledErrorDetectedEventArgs args)
Stack trace:
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x17cd960
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x1ddb79c
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x4511ee
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x451168
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x699af7
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x1ec501f
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x69993e
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x497d7c
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x16d650c
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x1749a76
   at Plex!<BaseAddress>+0x17499a4
   at Plex.AppCore.OnCoreApplicationUnhandledErrorDetected(Object sender, ApplicationModel.Core.UnhandledErrorDetectedEventArgs args)

@chaosmaker: I couldn't repro the scenario. I tried syncing an episode, then switching to This Device, select the episode and then click on the breadcrumb items above (Episode X / Season Y) and it navigated fine. There must be something else causing this. Unfortunately the log above doesn't show much info (Windows Store apps get their debug info stripped for performance reasons).

@pombeirp is there a way I could enable debug logs just to start up and let it crash? This is reproducible 100% of the time.

@pombeirp can you check on your installation whether clicking on "TV Shows" crashes your instance. I just noticed that clicking on series names and season names is fine for that particular problem?

@chaosmaker clicking on TV Shows doesn't cause the app to crash for me. Not sure if I understand what you meant regarding the logs, but if you restart the app after a crash and email the diagnostics, it will contain the crash of the previous run.

@pombeirp I was just commenting on bit where you said that the Debug info gets stripped from the logs in windows apps and I was wondering whether that could be enabled, otherwise the Debugs would be the same as in the one I already sent.

@chaosmaker: unfortunately not, that's something the Windows Store strips away as part of the submission process. The only option would be side-loading a debug app.

@pombeirp - I have updated the list of errors based on the newest version available in the first post