Local Extras Not Recognized

server-windows

Hello!

I'm not sure if the PMS update has not been rolled out yet or something, but my local extras that are stored in folders following the the Organized in Subdirectories format listed on the Local Media Assets support page are being read as new movie titles rather than extras. I do definitely have Local Media Assets turned on and set to the top of the list for all of my Movies agents. And I've tried running an update on PMS, it says I have the latest version of 0.9.9.10.458.008ea34. Is this a known issue?

Thanks!

Paul

You should update to the newest version which is 0.9.9.13 then you will find Extra settings (new feature from this version). All the extra videos will play streamed as need, not stored locally.

My problem is I've done the steps mentioned here https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202934933-Cinema-Trailers-Extras-Plex-Web-App but I couldn't find the Extras icon anywhere. The movie detail page just looks the same as previous version, no Play Trailer icon on the left and no extra videos below the descriptions. Obviously no trailer will be played before the main movie. Anyone got the same situation?

problem solved. try the same as Monsieur Latte said Go into the section and then click the gear and choose force refresh. 

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/115948-plexmediaserver-09913-extras/#entry689489

problem solved. try the same as Monsieur Latte said Go into the section and then click the gear and choose force refresh. 

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/115948-plexmediaserver-09913-extras/#entry689489

This did not work for me. I am running PMS version 0.9.9.13, have properly named files and subdirectory hierarchy for local extras, and enabled "local media assets" and made sure it is at the top of the agents list. Forced refresh and local extras are still not showing up. Any ideas?

This did not work for me. I am running PMS version 0.9.9.13, have properly named files and subdirectory hierarchy for local extras, and enabled "local media assets" and made sure it is at the top of the agents list. Forced refresh and local extras are still not showing up. Any ideas?

I have the EXACT same issue.

For some reason only one of my extras appeared when fooling around this movie... but nothing is fetched from my local trailers on the other movies...

Local media asset is checked and first...

***When doing unmatch, the extra (trailer) appears... I'm out of ideas...

Seems like stuck cached metadata or something...

Some are saying to use freebase agent but for local trailers... it should be local media asset...

I'm really confused. (and frustrated a bit...)

I feel like I have tried it all, I have tried naming them inline and subdirectories, I have tried freebase agent and local media assets, tried each at the top, tried forcing refresh, tried deleting and re-copying the whole dir with movie and extras, and still can't get it to pick up my local stored extras. What could it be?

*Edit - It only seems to be on some movies. I just added the Big Chill (1983) and with inline naming scheme and it worked fine, on a side note, I also notice that you have to refresh each on multiple times before it updates the metadata such as cast (Thank you BTW, wrong cast info used to drive me crazy). This is after I already did a forced refresh, so I don't know what the heck is going on. This is very frustrating, but I will keep trying as I love PLEX and really want these new features.

*Edit #2 - I got it finally, I deleted it from the drive, updated the library and then copied it back to the drive holding my library and updated it again and it worked this time. This is something I had tried earlier but did not work, I don't know if it is something that I did in between as I did fiddle a lot, though this time it worked. All inline scheme, I am going to try to do it again but this time in a subdir as that is my preference. This has to be a bug with the caching of the metadata right? I will be going back to add a lot of extras that I have been keeping on a different drive so if there are more tricks or bugs I will be back.

*Edit #3 - Started to work on my collection again this morning and most my movies have extras now where last night that was not the case. Also, I have tried adding more local extras all of which are working first try. I am thinking maybe the database repositories where getting slammed and PLEX timed out maybe? I am really stretching but things are working great today where it was hours of frustration yesterday. 

I am also having issues getting all of my trailers to appear.  

For awhile, I've been using an external scraper to manage my movie collection - it creates movie.nfo files and downloads all of the art to poster.jpg, fanart.jpg, etc., and also I have always manually downloaded my trailers to movie-trailer.xxx, which according to the documentation on the Plex wiki, should be compliant with Plex's local media naming standards.  I have been using the XBMCnfoMoviesImporter agent as well as the Local Media Assets agent for awhile - the benefits are A: it speeds up an entire movie collection rescan, and B: reduces impact on metadata sites if I do that.  It also allows me to retain local edits of metadata that has been downloaded.

Anyway - when the 0.9.9.13 announcement came out - I said "cool", and followed the instructions here: 

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202934883-Cinema-Trailers-Extras

and here:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677

.. and made sure the 'Local Media Assets (Movies)' was on the top of the scraper agent lists.  I then went to my Movies section, and did a 'Force Refresh'.  No trailers recognized!

The only way I was able to get my trailers to be recognized was to go to each individual movie, and click 'Unmatch', which of course forces some sort of more heavy-duty metadata reevaluation.

As a further update to this - I tried deleting the Movies section entirely, and then re-added it.  Again - used the XBMCnfoImporter agent as the scanner.  Local Media Assets (Movies) was placed first on the list under this agent in server configuration.  Same behavior.  Trailers not recognized during the initial scan, but found when each movies is 'Unmatched'.  So I deleted the Movies section again, and then re-added it, and chose Freebase as the scanner.  This worked, eg. it recognized the locally-stored trailer, but also of course scanned and added any available remote extras/trailers, and ignored my local .nfo files.

So - the issue in my case may be related to the fact that I'm using the XBMCnfoImporter agent - for whatever reason, a single-movie or entire-section Refresh is not causing the locally-stored media assets to be recognized.

*Edit #2 - I got it finally, I deleted it from the drive, updated the library and then copied it back to the drive holding my library and updated it again and it worked this time. This is something I had tried earlier but did not work, I don't know if it is something that I did in between as I did fiddle a lot, though this time it worked. All inline scheme, I am going to try to do it again but this time in a subdir as that is my preference. This has to be a bug with the caching of the metadata right? I will be going back to add a lot of extras that I have been keeping on a different drive so if there are more tricks or bugs I will be back.

This worked for me. Thanks!

At last trailers and extras on Plex.

But there is definitely a problem with Plex finding the trailers and extras if they have been added before the update. It does not auto-update these.

New additions it finds without a problem, but as the -trailer that were there before have already been scanned and marked as non playable trailers in the metadata it does not display them...

So I found that I had to do a FORCE REFRESH

Then I had to exit the Media manager and shut down the media server and restart it so that the new metadata is then read and the  EXTRAS appear.

Otherwise I found that going into individual movies records and clicking REFRESH there finds the -trailer and adds it. Useful for single updates.

NOTE

I cannot get Plex to display  list a movie if I have a folder for the movie with the trailer but not added the movie. The only way to get it to be listed is to misname the trailer i.e. leave out the - before trailer. However it will then not be included in the trailers and be played as a trailer. This is to bad as trailers of movies you don't yet have are great too.

I know this is an old question, but as I didn't see the answer that worked for me:

Make sure that every file except the movie file has a supported extra type. Also make sure there is only one movie file in a folder. If any one of the extra files has a mis typed extension, my Plex server would not read any of them. When a movie had two versions on the same disk, I separated them into their own folders; extras showed up on both movies even though they were in separate folders.

movies
.....The Movie (1999)
..........The Movie (1999).mkv
..........extra1-behindthescenes.mkv
..........extra2-deleted.mkv
..........extra3-featurette.mkv
..........extra4-interview.mkv
..........extra5-scene.mkv
..........extra6-short.mkv
..........extra7-trailer.mkv
.....The Movie Uncut (1999)
..........The Movie Uncut (1999).mkv

Thank you for mentioning that, h46e55x. I was having this problem and fixed it by removing all the special features and adding them back one by one, refreshing after each one. Turned out my problem was that one of them ended in "-Featurette.mkv" (note the capital F). Making that lower-case fixed it! But that one error prevented ALL the special features from showing.

I'm having trouble getting one trailer recognized in the folder. It's the only extra in the folder. If I add another trailer (actually a duplicate with a number after the first part of the filename), both trailers show up. But once I delete the extra file, they both disappear!

@keithgarrett said:
Thank you for mentioning that, h46e55x. I was having this problem and fixed it by removing all the special features and adding them back one by one, refreshing after each one. Turned out my problem was that one of them ended in “-Featurette.mkv” (note the capital F). Making that lower-case fixed it! But that one error prevented ALL the special features from showing.

This! I had the same issue and it was just a capital letter on 1 item. Thanks!

@h46e55x said:
If any one of the extra files has a mis typed extension, my Plex server would not read any of them.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I’ve been wrangling for two evenings trying to get a dozen Extras to show up for a movie I’ve added and your post FINALLY got me on the right track.

The extras were all:
-behindthescenes
-short
-scene

But NONE of them would load. After reading your post I re-examined all my extensions and I noticed that I had “-Scene” with a capital “S”. (Grrrrr…)

I changed it to a lower-case “s” – Plex automatically rescanned and --TADA! All the extras appeared!

Thanks again!