Media Server Crashing and Hanging

server-windows

Last few days I have had to restart media server at least daily for it to work. Sometimes it is hung up to where you can't even connect and sometimes it is hung to where a file will not play. It is happening at least once per day now last 3 days. I close it from the system tray, the icon goes away, but it will not restart. I end up having to kill it in task manager to get it to restart. Thanks in advance! Version 1.11.0.4666 on Win 10 x64

I’m having the same issue. Trying to play something remotely on my iOS device and it just keeps on buffering. Then the server completely unavailable.

same here. came to the forums looking for answers

@“Clay & Brenda” said:
Last few days I have had to restart media server at least daily for it to work. Sometimes it is hung up to where you can’t even connect and sometimes it is hung to where a file will not play. It is happening at least once per day now last 3 days. I close it from the system tray, the icon goes away, but it will not restart. I end up having to kill it in task manager to get it to restart. Thanks in advance! Version 1.11.0.4666 on Win 10 x64

Thanks for the logs.
They show 3 requests to playback got stuck for some reason - at 08:31, 08:32:45, and 08:33:37
Then you shut down the server at 08:34

It looks like some threads were being locked out. Would need a process dump and other diagnostic info and logs again to see why these were hung

The diagnostics that I need are as follows -

1. Prepare yourself by finding the server security token string as it will be needed for one of the diagnostic outputs. To find the token string, see this support article https://support.plex.tv/articles/204059436-finding-an-authentication-token-x-plex-token/
  2. When the problem occurs, get the output from a specific browser request on the server. In a browser, go to this url http://localhost:32400/connections?X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx where you put the server token string instead of the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Copy the displayed output to a text file and save
  3. Next is to force a process dump for the Plex Media Server.exe process. We can do this with Windows Task Manager - but if you are running on 64-bit windows and with Plex Media Server.exe being a 32-bit application, you would need to load the 32-bit x86 version of windows task manager. So load this program instead of the default task manager C:\Windows\SysWow64\Taskmgr.exe
  4. Find the Plex Media Server.exe process, select it and right click on it and choose Create Dump
  5. Check that the dmp file has been created
  6. Restart the server and capture the zipped logs
  7. Zip the dmp file and upload to dropbox or similar service
  8. send me by private message link to the dmp file and the saved /connections output text file and the zipped logs

I am sorry but if there are hung threads, it is only through a process dump that the cause can be identified. This would be needed with the corresponding logs

@activemind said:
I’m having the same issue. Trying to play something remotely on my iOS device and it just keeps on buffering. Then the server completely unavailable.

@nostromo777 said:
same here. came to the forums looking for answers

If you have problems, please provide logs and indication of time of issue and where was the playback attempt
See
https://support.plex.tv/articles/201643703-reporting-issues-with-plex-media-server/
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/

Try disabling HW acceleration in PMS settings, that fixed it here for playback from iOS / tvOS devices while playback from Plex Web en PMP worked fine with it enabled.
So looks like issue with transcoder profiles for Apple devices and started after updating to PMS 1.11.0.4666, will see if I can get some useful logs.

@sa2000 said:

@“Clay & Brenda” said:
Last few days I have had to restart media server at least daily for it to work. Sometimes it is hung up to where you can’t even connect and sometimes it is hung to where a file will not play. It is happening at least once per day now last 3 days. I close it from the system tray, the icon goes away, but it will not restart. I end up having to kill it in task manager to get it to restart. Thanks in advance! Version 1.11.0.4666 on Win 10 x64

Thanks for the logs.
They show 3 requests to playback got stuck for some reason - at 08:31, 08:32:45, and 08:33:37
Then you shut down the server at 08:34

It looks like some threads were being locked out. Would need a process dump and other diagnostic info and logs again to see why these were hung

The diagnostics that I need are as follows -

1. Prepare yourself by finding the server security token string as it will be needed for one of the diagnostic outputs. To find the token string, see this support article https://support.plex.tv/articles/204059436-finding-an-authentication-token-x-plex-token/
  2. When the problem occurs, get the output from a specific browser request on the server. In a browser, go to this url http://localhost:32400/connections?X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx where you put the server token string instead of the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Copy the displayed output to a text file and save
  3. Next is to force a process dump for the Plex Media Server.exe process. We can do this with Windows Task Manager - but if you are running on 64-bit windows and with Plex Media Server.exe being a 32-bit application, you would need to load the 32-bit x86 version of windows task manager. So load this program instead of the default task manager C:\Windows\SysWow64\Taskmgr.exe
  4. Find the Plex Media Server.exe process, select it and right click on it and choose Create Dump
  5. Check that the dmp file has been created
  6. Restart the server and capture the zipped logs
  7. Zip the dmp file and upload to dropbox or similar service
  8. send me by private message link to the dmp file and the saved /connections output text file and the zipped logs

I am sorry but if there are hung threads, it is only through a process dump that the cause can be identified. This would be needed with the corresponding logs

I will try to get a process dumb accomplished, but I have noticed that my system is hanging on scanning my photos folder. it is locking up the whole thing and preventing playback until it is forced to restart…

Yeah I have the same exact issue. I recently updated my PMS version and it hangs like crazy now, never had this issue before.

@fahdw99 said:
Yeah I have the same exact issue. I recently updated my PMS version and it hangs like crazy now, never had this issue before.

Please could I have some logs to see if there is any similarities

Ensure debug logging enabled on the server
See https://support.plex.tv/articles/201643703-reporting-issues-with-plex-media-server/
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/

If the logs show it is a lockup, then would need to get the other diagnostics as well

+1 hangs and crashes locally and remotely, hw acceleration is off.

@hashiko said:
+1 hangs and crashes locally and remotely, hw acceleration is off.

Logs please for the initial investigation
See http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1594313/#Comment_1594313

@“Clay & Brenda” said:

Thank you very much for all your help in getting the dumps and logs. We have good evidence and it is being referred to the development team. Meanwhile see if disabling Scheduled Task for photo analysis and tagging would help
It is in server settings

I’m having the same problems, disabled the photo analysis and tagging scheduled task now, we’ll see if that improves things.

Please let me know if the same logs/process dump/etc. would be helpful for you to have from me as well, happy to upload them if you need them (but it sounds like you already have what you need, so I won’t for now unless you tell me it would be helpful).

Thanks!

@herbcso said:
I’m having the same problems, disabled the photo analysis and tagging scheduled task now, we’ll see if that improves things.

Please let me know if the same logs/process dump/etc. would be helpful for you to have from me as well, happy to upload them if you need them (but it sounds like you already have what you need, so I won’t for now unless you tell me it would be helpful).

Thanks!

Initially just need logs captured after restart following a crash - but make sure server debug logging enabled

Process Dump only needed for specific lockouts after logs have been looked into and confirmed that being the issue

@herbcso Thank you for working to provide support for this issue. I am having the exact same problem. Since there are MANY “me too” posts (here and reddit and other forums) it seems like this is a well known issue with PMS 1.11.0.4666 AND that this is simply a bug in this release. PMS has been super stable for me for 5+ years, this is the first time I can recall such a serious issue. I understand that all of the logs, debug code etc helps your support team diagnose the issues, but can’t you simply tell people this is a known issue and your team is working to resolve it? Seems like the logical thing to do. Love your product and support team - please don’t take this as criticism - just a friendly customer sat suggestion.

There’s a new beta version out for Plex server. I seem to still be having the issue though.

I don’t believe it is anything related to the installed version of Plex, since the problem began long after I installed the last version. I think there’s something else with Windows causing the problem (or maybe a web service?)

I’ve also used Plex 5+ years and can’t remember ever having a major issue like this. Hope you are able to find root cause soon!

Can anyone confirm that 1.11.1.4753 released today fixes the issue? It mentions a transcoding fix in the release notes.

@hashiko said:
Can anyone confirm that 1.11.1.4753 released today fixes the issue? It mentions a transcoding fix in the release notes.

I just installed it and I sure hope it does. Plex has been unusable for the last couple of weeks and I’ve missed a lot of recordings. Hulu is my backup but I shouldn’t need it. I now have software that runs on my machine that checks every 30 seconds to see if PMS is running. If it’s not, PMS gets automatically restarted. It shouldn’t be like that. I shouldn’t have to restart the program 1-2 times a day.

@hashiko said:

There are a number of bugs giving rise to lockouts - the fix in 1.11.1.4753 is the problem reported on this forum topic

There are other fixes for lockouts that are in the pipeline and will be released in next version and after

This last update seems to have fixed it for me!