Menu Button - Going Back One Screen Not Working!

apple-tv

Hello Everyone,

The Menu Button has always seemed flakey with Plex (and perhaps the Apple TV)? When I press the Menu Button, sometimes, the app does not go back one screen but exits the application entirely and goes to the home screen. This is a problem especially if I am playing a video I cannot go back one screen to select another video.

Is this a known issue with Plex? Anyone else having the same problem?

I have NEVER had this problem with Plex, not with the ATV 4 remote, not with the Harmony remote and note with the iPhone Apple remote app.

Holding the Menu button on the remote returns to the home screen so maybe you are either holding the button too long or your remote has an issue and is registering the button press too long and triggering the home screen. I had a similar issue on an older Apple TV with the old remote a few years back when the button had just worn out and was sticking.

@mshe said:
Hello Everyone,

The Menu Button has always seemed flakey with Plex (and perhaps the Apple TV)? When I press the Menu Button, sometimes, the app does not go back one screen but exits the application entirely and goes to the home screen. This is a problem especially if I am playing a video I cannot go back one screen to select another video.

You’re not the only with this issue. This happens on both of my Apple T.V.'s. I know I’m not holding the button too long. Very annoying.

@SK1 said:

@mshe said:
Hello Everyone,

You’re not the only with this issue. This happens on both of my Apple T.V.'s. I know I’m not holding the button too long. Very annoying.

The intermittent issue is ongoing with my Apple TV since the latest Plex software update;
4th Generation (32 GB)
tvOS v.10.1(14U593)
Using Siri remote only

Definitely not holding the menu button down for too long. Typically happens during playback of video, lightly/quickly tapping the menu button behaves as though the ‘home’ button has been pressed (no I do not have a wide/clumsy thumb). The app exits to the Apple TV home screen. Returning to the Plex app continues playback of the video as expected and tapping the menu button again will return to the Apple TV home screen - usually after 2-4 back and forth attempts the menu button behaves as expected and returns to the “back one” screen in the Plex app, as the original poster suggests it should.

An LG Bluetooth soundbar is paired with Apple TV and volume control of the soundbar using the Siri Remote volume buttons has been set up.

Siri search has been disabled.

Hope the extra information may help debug.

I have had this issue as well, almost just as described above by zarchive (plex version: 1.6 (4564)*, 2 apple tvs). This can occur on any menu view for me. I think I’m just lucky, but I only need to try 1-2 times to get the menu button behaving right.
I’ve been assuming this was an issue with Apple TV - I don’t use any apps but plex

I have this same issue, tapping the Menu button exits the app on Apple TV maybe 25% of the time, I’m not holding it down just tapping. It is very random and very annoying as can occur mid way through playing, pressing Menu returns to the Apple home page.

Remote fully charged, official Apple remote.

I think this is an Apple TV problem because it happens to me in Netflix quite a bit as well. Same as discribed, one tap of menu while watching a video and it will return to the home screen rather than go back a page. I go back into the app and hit menu again and it usually works.

Same problem here. Just started doing it the past week or two since updating to latest tvOS 11.2.1 (UK - Version with the new TV app) I have to quit out of Plex and reload the app. F**king annoying to say the least.

Hi there,

Has one of you find a fix for this issue?
I have the exact same problem as described before, I can add some details from my experience:

• It only happens with the Plex app, not with Netflix or any other.
  • When the screen is blocked on a tv serie for example, I can navigate within this serie (for example going to a season of this serie) but I can’t play any episode (either with the play button or via Siri)
  • When launching Plex (after switching off and on the apple tv), it brings me back where the app was stuck previously. Usually on the serie menu.

This bug occurs randomly, I couldn’t find so far what was triggering it…

The only solution I found so I can play my movies/series on Plex is to uninstall/install the Plex app. Quite annoying…

I too have had this issue intermittently for the past 3 major versions.

Have had this issue for years - I figured it was well known by now.

Fixed in version 1.24 per the announcement?

• The app was responding incorrectly to certain remote control requests.

Nope, still have the same issue. And it appears to occur even more frequently: this week I had to uninstall and reinstall the app twice in 2 days…
I was looking to by a lifetime plexpass recently. I’m sure I won’t do this mistake…

@darcilicious said:
Fixed in version 1.24 per the announcement?

• The app was responding incorrectly to certain remote control requests.

The situation is getting worse… This bug occurs now each time I used the app.
I install the app, log in to my account, play some films/series and everything works perfectly. When I quit the app and come back later, I’m automatically on the “presentation screen” of the media I played earlier but can’t go to the Plex menu screen nor launch the media I’m stucked on.

I can’t f*****g bare with this anymore, and it seems no one cares at Plex… I won’t use Plex until this is fixed. I’ll come check this topic now and then to see if anything changed.
Good luck guys!

I haven’t had this problem on either of my two AppleTVs. My only recommendations are:

Swipe to navigate to the left to choose Home from the vertical menu

Or

Try doing a full reset on the AppleTV

(Or stop using Plex)

Hello,

This issue happens when the Apple TV 4 goes too sleep.
Before going too sleep, if we were in a recorded serie list page or recorded serie single record, if we press menu button on the Apple TV remote, this exits the Plex app completely.

If I restart the Apple TV, the the problem disapear temporarily.

The expected behavior is to go up from one level in the navigation when pressing Menu button on Apple TV button.

The impacts of not fixing this are huge. This impede the adoption of Plex by users in the family who have less knowledged and patience with technology. I am thinking especially of my 5 years old who doesn’t know how to restart an Apple TV, who is barely able to navigate from one menu to another in Plex app.

Thanks for fixing this issue rapidely instead in order to make your basic Plex functions work has it should.

Thanks!

I too have this problem. It’s nuts. Pressing the single time, bounces all the way back to the home screen. Sometimes, I’ll switch user, and it leaves me on the other users’ content, hit home and i’m back at the AT4 home screen. EH. Also, this issue

Between these two issues, the AT4 app is getting annoying to use.

Add me to the list! The problem manifests itself after some amount of time. It’s not always present. But once the condition shows up, I have to power cycle the Apple TV to kill the Plex app. I’d like to add that my Harmony remote’s Back button is mapped to the Menu button on the Siri remote. Either remote does the same thing of sending me back to the Apple TV home screen.

This is definitely a software problem and not human error. I’ve seen this on quite a number of ATV4 and ATV4K units. It is extremely annoying.

When at the ATV4 home screen I pull up with app rotating menu and swipe up to close the Plex app. Then when I get back in the Plex application it works as it should until the next time this happens.