MLB.TV Plugin for 2010 Season

I know we still have some time before the 2010 MLB season begins but with spring training games coming up I was wondering if the MLB.TV plugin will work and if not are there are plans to get it working in the near future. This was by far my favorite plugin for Plex.

Hi, Im having the same problem. Not able to use "watch mlb.tv" under my plex system. Someone suggested me to download a Major_League_Baseball_.3beta1.plex app -

but to no avail. still not working.

Any one else have answers?

[quote name='LRD' date='05 March 2010 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1267809314' post='79473']

Hi, Im having the same problem. Not able to use "watch mlb.tv" under my plex system. Someone suggested me to download a Major_League_Baseball_.3beta1.plex app -

but to no avail. still not working.

Any one else have answers?

[/quote]

The plugin is available on http://github.com/rfletcher/plex-mlb/downloads

But i've installed that app but it isn't working, i don't know what i've done wrong. I really enjoyed this app in 2009 and would like to use it in 2010!!

Thank you Rick Fletcher for your work but this time i need some help.

Best regards

Robert

[quote name='rvgulik' date='07 March 2010 - 03:35 AM' timestamp='1267961727' post='79642']

The plugin is available on http://github.com/rfletcher/plex-mlb/downloads

Robert

[/quote]

Hey, guys. Nice to see you're here looking for an MLB plugin update. I'm as anxious for the season to get started as you are :)

Good news! I started dusting off the plugin a few weeks ago. As Robert found, there's a new beta MLB .plexapp download available on GitHub. (I just uploaded 0.3beta2 tonight.) I've actually fixed all of the highlights bugs, and streaming works again (the audio-only streams work now, too!). The problem is that the new betas conflict with the old version you've already got installed, and actually conflicts with Plex even if you never installed the old version. The result is that installing the beta -- which should be as easy as double-clicking the .plexapp file -- is a real pain right now.

(If you think you know enough about Plex and its plug-ins to try and navigate the problem yourself, you can tell that the new version is installed when the main MLB menu starts with "Today's Games". The old menu starts with "MLB.tv".)

It's late and I'm done for the night, but I just had a quick chat with some of the Plex devs. and have a potential installation fix to try out. Once easy beta installation is working I'll be back here looking for feedback. Subscribe to this thread with the "watch" button, or come back and look for me again in a couple of days.

Rick

Thanks Rick! Without MLB support I would have never signed up for Plex. This to me is the most important plug-in for Plex and not having it would be a deal breaker. Thanks for the great work!

MLB 0.3beta3 is available on the GitHub downloads page.

It should install cleanly even if you already have the old version installed. (The old one will be overwritten.)

When the beta is installed you should see "Major League Baseball (0.3beta3)" in the video menu. If you just see "Major League Baseball" without the version you're either still seeing your old version (try removing it from the App Store and reinstalling the .plexapp), or something unexpected has happened. Let me know and we'll figure it out.

If it installs without any trouble, I'd appreciate bug reports either in this thread or on the plugin's issues page. (Click the "create issue" button and include a description of what broke, and what you were doing when it broke.)

Good luck!

Wow, MLB.TV was the one thing I was thinking I'd be missing if I shifted to Plex from Boxee. This is great.

I have a couple of questions on how this will work. I installed it and it looks like it can only see live games. Will it be possible to watch archived games at some point? We had MLB Extra Innings last year with cable and am going MLB.TV this year... still not completely sure what it can and can't do and their forum is kind of useless claiming things in pre-season are different. I bought an Acer Revo to try and use for this and it does a decent job with most media, but watching MLB.TV it seems to struggle a bit. That is what is driving me to look at a Mac Mini and Plex instead. For those that used this plug-in in the past... how was the quality of viewing? I'm getting real mixed results in my testing both on my MacBook Pro and the Win7 machine.

[quote name='convergent' date='12 March 2010 - 06:01 AM' timestamp='1268402494' post='80230']

I installed it and it looks like it can only see live games. Will it be possible to watch archived games at some point?

[/quote]

Most of the early work I did on this year's version was to make adding that feature easier. It's one of the things I hope to get out before opening day. (But, like any planned feature, something unknown could pop up and delay it a bit.)

[quote name='convergent' date='12 March 2010 - 06:01 AM' timestamp='1268402494' post='80230']

We had MLB Extra Innings last year with cable and am going MLB.TV this year... still not completely sure what it can and can't do and their forum is kind of useless claiming things in pre-season are different.

[/quote]

The pre-season is definitely MLB's beta period for new features, and usually a whole new player. I've been a subscriber for 5 years or so and this is the first year it wasn't a completely new experience from the last. If you're evaluating the service on its own, you should definitely reserve judgement until the regular season. The video quality will jump significantly by opening day, for one.

You should also know that if you're planning on consuming MLB.tv exclusively via Plex (or Boxee) there are features you'll miss out on. The player has things like multiple simultaneous video feeds that are very difficult if not impossible to support as a Plex plugin. Personally, I don't use those features even when I'm watching in a browser, but it might be a deal-breaker for some.

I bought an Acer Revo to try and use for this and it does a decent job with most media, but watching MLB.TV it seems to struggle a bit. That is what is driving me to look at a Mac Mini and Plex instead. For those that used this plug-in in the past... how was the quality of viewing? I'm getting real mixed results in my testing both on my MacBook Pro and the Win7 machine.

[/quote]

I run Plex on an older Mac Mini (1.83GHz Core 2 Duo). The highest quality video in the Plex plugin was clearly pretty processor intensive, but playback was generally smooth. I find that almost every hiccup I see in the plugin is an MLB.com problem, not a Plex problem. Remember the nature of a Plex video plugin is that, once you're out of the menus and watching a stream, it's just a WebKit view loading the same flash player you see in your browser. At that point there's not much chance the plugin will choke on something the browser would have handled.

I don't use MLB.tv on Windows, but it is flash-based, and flash does tend to perform better on Windows than it does on Mac. Make sure you have MLB's "NexDef" plugin installed when you're evaluating. If an HD stream is available you'll only get it that way. (HD may not show up until opening day.)

Hope that helps.

Rick

Rick, you're the man!!!!!

You've did a great job on this so my compliments to you!!

The plugin is working great for me and i want to thank you for your very fast response.

I do have one question : is it possible to put a small icon behind the game for the game which is being broadcasted. I know it is only for the spring training but maybe it is possible with a small adjustment.

Again thanks.

Robert

I left for a few days and I come back to find out that my favorite plex plugin is going to be supported. This is a great day. Rick, thanks for everything. If we can watch archived games it would be great but I'm not demanding anything from you. Once again thanks. Many of us are very greatful.

Major League Baseball 0.3beta4 is available. New since beta 3:

[list]

[]browse archived games!

(only '09 and '10 for now. earlier seasons use a different player that isn't supported. '09 playoffs are missing so far, too. i'm working on that.)

[
]watch condensed games

[]easily watch a game's highlights with the shortcut in the game streams popup menu

[
]bug fixes

[/list]

download 0.3beta4 or report a bug (click "create issue")

If you have any trouble with beta 4, beta 3 is still available here.

Works GREAT. Thanks so much for making this possible!

My contribution to the fun will be this --- MLB.tv premium is available today for $20 for the SEASON. That's normally $100+. What are you waiting for? Go sign up!

Really should include the link... http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1921726

How do I install this? When will it be avalable from the app store?

[quote name='emegmac' date='16 March 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1268774044' post='80618']

When will it be avalable from the app store?

[/quote]

Hopefully before opening day -- April 4th. I'm definitely working toward 0.3 final before then. How quickly it gets from my hands into the App Store is up to the Plex team.

[quote name='emegmac' date='16 March 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1268774044' post='80618']

How do I install this?

[/quote]

If you're having trouble it's probably best just to wait for the App Store update. Installing it is easier than removing it, and you will need to manually remove it before updating to the future App Store version.

I can't believe I missed this offer by 1 DAY. DAMNIT, I am so pissed right now.

If anyone knows about any other offers to get MLB.tv premium, please let us know. Thanks.

[quote name='dbix1' date='16 March 2010 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1268757326' post='80590']

Works GREAT. Thanks so much for making this possible!

My contribution to the fun will be this --- MLB.tv premium is available today for $20 for the SEASON. That's normally $100+. What are you waiting for? Go sign up!

Really should include the link... http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1921726

[/quote]

From what I read on another forum this "offer" was a mistake that only lasted about an hour. I wouldn't hold my breathe for anything like that to happen again. BTW- you can get it for $100 if you do the trial SI (just cancel it).

[quote name='lilyandsadie' date='17 March 2010 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1268836396' post='80676']

I can't believe I missed this offer by 1 DAY. DAMNIT, I am so pissed right now.

If anyone knows about any other offers to get MLB.tv premium, please let us know. Thanks.

[/quote]

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have a question about fast forwarding in the MLB.TV plugin. I've downloaded beta 4 of the plugin and it's awesome. I've been watching some archived games from last season but I can't seem to fast forward (especially through commercial breaks). When I press the fast forward button, it does change to 2x, 4x, 8x, etc and the timer does accelerate, however nothing actually changes to the TV image. Is this something that is supported, or is this a bug?

Thanks a keep up the good work. This plugin is the sole reason I have Plex!

Also just downloaded the latest beta and agree that this is awesome. I am also not seeing how to fast forward and rewind. Quality looks pretty good, and my wife is going to be quite happy that she doesn't need to exit Plex to watch games. When you are finished with this, will it have the little inning selector on it that you get in fullscreen mode via a browser? I am assuming that isn't possible since its activated by a mouse movement and Plex is mouse-less. That would bring this to the amazing level!

On the subject of fastforward, I'm new to MLB.TV and been trying to get an answer to a question for a few weeks on this. We like to watch games a little later than they start... we usually start watching around 8 or 9 for a 7pm game. It seems like the pre-season games you either get live, or you have to wait until they are over to start from the beginning. During regular season, is it possible to start an "in progress" game at the beginning... and then fast forward through commercials and such until you get caught up? That's a question about the regular browser MLB.TV, and also if you are going to be able to do that with the Plex plug-in?

Hey, guys.

There's no support for rewind/fast-forward yet. It's not something I've even looked at yet, so I haven no idea how difficult it will be to add. Now that you can watch archived games I agree it'd be useful though. I've added it to the todo list.

Inning selection is something I've thought about, but never really looked into seriously. Plugins can simulate mouse movement, so that part isn't a problem. I don't really have any idea what the UI might look like for picking an inning though. Anyhow, It's definitely low priority, but it's on the list.

As far as getting a late start on a live game, unfortunately I can't remember exactly how that worked last year. I'm pretty sure that there was no way to jump directly to the start of a game in progress, but that you could start playing a live game and then jump back to the first inning. That's not ideal because you'd almost certainly see the score before you could jump back to the first inning. Plus, doing that in the plug-in would be dependent on that inning-selection feature, which is at best a ways off. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you on that one. The add features every year. Maybe that will be one of them this season.

Major League Baseball 0.3beta5 is available.

Important! This will be the final beta before releasing 0.3 to the App Store! If you notice any bugs at all, no matter how small, please speak up. There's a chance you're the only one who noticed.

Important #2! All of my beta plugins are in "dev mode". This means that Plex will not automatically upgrade them to 0.3 when it becomes available in the App Store. Manually installing the plugin from the App Store is safe, and will overwrite the beta.

New since beta 4:

[list]

[]postseason games now available in the archived games menu

[
]if you've set a favorite team in the preferences, you'll see a shortcut in the main menu to watch your team's game. (this has the least testing of any new feature, so there are very likely bugs here. please let me know if you see something strange.)

[]added team logos to the highlights -> team highlights menu

[
]lots of bug fixes

[/list]

download 0.3beta5 or report a bug (click "create issue")

If you have any trouble with beta 5, beta 4 is still available here.