Multi-season file for TV, my solution

Pedantic taxonomy OCD in this post. Proceed with caution.

So I recently got Genndy Tartakovsky's "Star Wars: Clone Wars" series on DVD. Much to my pleasant surprise, the episodes for all of seasons 1 and 2 are combined into a single, continuous work. Each episode is only three minutes long, so watching them separately isn't really something I'd imagine doing.

Metadata-wise, however, this is a challenge. PMS lets me name multi-episode TV files, but not multi-episode, multi-season files, and splitting the file across seasons 1 and 2 just didn't make sense, so I set out to solve this with filesystem trickery.

My first attempt was to rip the file once, then create a hard link (my filesystem is ext4), like so:

./Season 1/Star Wars Clone Wars - s1e01-e10.mkv (original)
./Season 2/Star Wars Clone Wars - s2e01-e10.mkv (hard link)

This resulted in PMS matching only season 1 and not season 2, so I tried again, but this time with a symbolic link.

./Season 2/Star Wars Clone Wars - s2e01-e10.mkv (symbolic link)

This had the exact same result. PMS only created library items for season 1, so I created a full copy this time.

./Season 2/Star Wars Clone Wars - s2e01-e10.mkv (copy)

PMS successfully added seasons 1 and 2, but now I was storing too much data for the same video file, so I thought I might be able to trick PMS into keeping season 2 if I deleted the copy and replaced it with a hard link without changing the name.

./Season 2/Star Wars Clone Wars - s2e01-e10.mkv (hard link)

After scanning, season 2 was updated (presumably because the timestamp on the file changed), but was kept in the library! Now I have all the metadata for the episodes, plus the ability to watch as a single uninterrupted stream, and haven't duplicated any of the storage.

Hope this is helpful to anyone else trying to solve this.

In the past when I’ve come across this with other media, I use Handbrake to separate them. Each episode has been a chapter in the file.

@ChrisAWallace said:
In the past when I’ve come across this with other media, I use Handbrake to separate them. Each episode has been a chapter in the file.

I would have done this with MakeMKV, which can also separate at chapter markers, but the problem would be that the episodes wouldn’t flow into each other. Seasons 1 and 2 are kind of like a music CD where there are no gaps between the songs, and the editing is done so that each episode uses a scene wipe to transition.

I filed it as a movie, since it was released as a two part film and IMDb was able to find it that way.