Music goes to next song 3-4 seconds early

plex-web

This problem exists using the Plex/Web client or my Roku plex client. When music is playing it skips to the next track 3-4 seconds too fast, cutting off the last 3-4 seconds of music.

If I listen to music using another dlna client, the music plays until the end of the song before going to the next track.

What kind of tracks are you playing? mp3 / mpeg4 / flac?

flac

FLAC tracks need to be transcoded. There is a known issue with the music transcoder that cuts off the track a little early.

How can I do this?

They are transcoded automatically. The issue is with the transcoder.

If I convert them to mp3 will this solve the problem?

Yeah, mp3 tracks can be played without transcoding.

What about apple lossless or WAV?

What about apple lossless or WAV?

Just mp3 and mpeg4.

Last question... why does it work when I use a dlna client that is NOT plex?

Last question... why does it work when I use a dlna client that is NOT plex?

You might want to ask this in the DLNA forum. Some clients can play FLAC without transcoding and some clients can't. Plex/Web may eventually support decoding FLAC on the fly, but the only way to play FLAC in the browser without doing this is to transcode it to a format that the browser does support.

I'm having similar issues, but with mp3 files (not flac). I've tried playing CBR and VBR and it doesn't seem to make any difference, and it happens for me both on Plex/Web and on my iPhone. I often randomize playlists based on artist or album, and many times when I get close to the end of a song it ends abruptly / early and then transitions to the next song, which makes for very jarring audio transitions.

I'm running 0.9.7.28.33 on Ubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit. Is there anything I can do to mitigate this issue?

I'm having similar issues, but with mp3 files (not flac). I've tried playing CBR and VBR and it doesn't seem to make any difference, and it happens for me both on Plex/Web and on my iPhone. I often randomize playlists based on artist or album, and many times when I get close to the end of a song it ends abruptly / early and then transitions to the next song, which makes for very jarring audio transitions.

I'm running 0.9.7.28.33 on Ubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit. Is there anything I can do to mitigate this issue?

Does every mp3 end early for you? I can't replicate your issue, so if you could share a sample mp3 with me that does it, that might help. Or you can share a test section with my through myPlex (username: ericmatthys).

No, it's not every mp3, and I can't figure out the pattern, and I also can't reproduce it tonight -- I'm at home where the server is, rather than playing from offsite, which I guess might have something to do with the problem. I'll see if I can reproduce it again tomorrow when I'm away from home again.

That said I am having a perhaps-related issue. I've noticed on the files where this happens, Plex doesn't seem to know how long the track is. This IS still reproducible for me tonight, so maybe it will provide some insight to you. I've shared 4 sections with you, each with the same track. In each section, my test song is "Weird Al - Alternative Polka." Here's a description and why each was created:

1. "mp3s" -- this is my general collection of mp3s. I've had these files lying around for years, and added the parent folder wholesale and never went through and made everything match. There is no duration listed for "Alternative Polka" here, and if I play it in Plex/Web the position/duration bar does not work -- the position updates, but duration is "0:00" and the scrubber bar is useless (scrubbing anywhere causes it to restart).

2. "Weird Al - MATCHED" -- I added this when trying to put Weird Al in a single place that I could share this small portion with you. But it automatically matched the folder this time, and when I play the song I get the full position / duration / scrubber functionality.

3. "Weird Al - UNMATCHED" -- I added this after the previous attempt automatically matched. I then forced Plex to unmatch to see if that was the difference. But when I play here I still get position / duration / scrubber functionality.

4. "Weird Al - PERSONAL" -- I told Plex to use Personal Media Library instead of Last.fm, just to see if it made any difference. Here, too, I get the full position / duration / scrubber functionality.

Thanks for your help, I'll see if I can reproduce the original issue (ending early) again tomorrow and respond if I'm able to.

I believe the duration should be coming from media analysis, not the agents. Have you tried re-analyzing your mp3s section?

BTW, I don't see "Alternative Polka" in the mp3s section you shared with me. Who is the artist?

Artist is Weird Al. This morning on my way into work again, listening on my iPhone, I was experiencing this issue again. I experienced it repeatedly with "The Night Santa Went Crazy" (also by Weird Al) playing out of the "mp3s" section. I just reproduced it again 3 times in a row: once using the "mp3s" section where Plex doesn't seem to know the duration, once from the UNMATCHED section and once from the PERSONAL section. In all cases, the song ended and moved onto the next a few seconds early.

I'm running a re-analyze on the full mp3s section right now -- might take a while since there are about 200GB of mp3s. I'll report what happens as far as playback / etc are concerned after that's finished.

Did analyzing the section fix your issue? Playing "The Night Santa Went Crazy" seems to go through the full duration of the track, but it does cut off the audio. Is the duration of the track longer if you play it with another player?

Eric,

Thanks for your time. Analyzing didn't solve the problem, turns out the audio files in that directory got corrupted somehow. I started listening to them in some other players and found several other issues. As usual, it turns out to be something simple...

Thanks again.

This is still a problem. Transcoded flacs are cut off 2-3 secs early.. very annoying and saddening to see that this has not been fixed in 3 years :( No hope of this actually being fixed anytime soon either I guess from that.