Music Library - How to organise an artists discography

Hi
I have an extensive music library and mostly everything is running well. The problem I have is that I bought the Elvis Presley album collection (60 Cd box set) and ripped them to my synology drive. I want the discs to show in order of release but have a problem where there are more than one album in a particular year. For example his first two albums both from 1956 one from March and the other from October, I have entered the release dates ( 1956.03.23 & 1956.10.19) on the general edit tag but it shows the October release before the March release on the dashboard. Would appreciate any help in resolving this please.

What you describe is pretty much how every Man, Woman and Child on Planet Earth would like to see their Artists Listed. Unfortunately for the inhabitants of Earth - Plex originates from Off World - where they do things very differently. Earth Speako hasn’t yet been mastered by Plex, so they don’t bother asking anyone, or listen as Earthlings rage about missing Features and Controls.

Group Artists? Easy:

Earth Style Listing - Well… not so easy.

As you try desperately to look past ‘Similar Artists’, that most Earth People don’t want, or need to see (but can’t get rid of) - due to ‘Similar Artists’ already being in the appropriate Genre Area, note that the Artists Material runs from bottom to top, right to left, inside to outside, 4th dimension to 3rd dimension, most recent to least recent (i.e. backwards) - and, yep, you already found out there’s no way to change it.

The Good News is - when Plex gathers up all the Earthlings to be taken ‘Off World’ to the home planet, while you’re waiting to be eaten, you’ll be accustomed to the way Artist’s Material is listed - because you’ve been living the nightmarish HELL for some time.

@TheBasicMan1964 said:
I have entered the release dates ( 1956.03.23 & 1956.10.19)

Try the format 1956-03-23 & 1956-10-19
Then it is working.

Btw, the order of the albums under a certain artist can be defined

1. as a global default for the library
  2. and can be overridden for every single artist

So you can go with the default ‘Release date, descending’
and then you can choose to change that to ‘album title, ascending’ for e.g. Various Artists

Note sure how that helps, Otto.

Mine is exactly as you have shown and just like your library, mine and @TheBasicMan1964 's still runs backwards.

@JuiceWSA said:
Mine is exactly as you have shown and just like your library, mine and @TheBasicMan1964 's still runs backwards.

Of course it runs backwards, because that is the default sorting order. Release date, descending
so the newest albums are sorted first.
If you want to reverse that, edit your music library, go to the 'Advanced' tab, set 'Album order' to 'Newest First'.

My point is that the whole release date is indeed taken into account now.
Not only the release year - like it was 2 years ago.

Otto
Thanks for the reply, but as juiceWSA says it does still run backwards unfortunately.

@TheBasicMan1964 said:
Otto
Thanks for the reply, but as juiceWSA says it does still run backwards unfortunately.

I don't see what is typed in to the 'date' fields, so this screenshot tells me nothing.

Did you see what I wrote above?
edit your music library, go to the 'Advanced' tab, set 'Album order' to 'Newest First'.

@OttoKerner said:
.... If you want to reverse that, edit your music library, go to the 'Advanced' tab, set 'Album order' to 'Newest First'.

A'ight... now that works fine...

I never know the entire release date, but I do have the year in the metadata - so it all comes up with the correct Year, but Jan 1... not important.

@JuiceWSA said:
I never know the entire release date, but I do have the year in the metadata - so it all comes up with the correct Year, but Jan 1... not important.

Except when there were several releases per year and you want the first album to really show up first.

Well... yea... Natch, Jackson... That would be intuitive... the sort order in the library's advanced settings is not intuitive in the slightest, or me and the OP would have found it...

B)

Well if Plex can sort the year, which it does how hard would it be for the programmer to add a year,month and day sorting option. Thanks for the answers guys but it seams that albums from the same year will not show in correct release order.

Its the same with albums from 1957. The Christmas Cd shows before the Loving You Cd when Loving You was released earlier.

@TheBasicMan1964 said:
Well if Plex can sort the year, which it does how hard would it be for the programmer to add a year,month and day sorting option.

As I was saying above, Plex will use the complete date. That includes months and years.

Thanks for the answers guys but it seams that albums from the same year will not show in correct release order.

Have you verified what is set as sorting order for the whole library or for the artist Elvis?
Try to toggle it back and forth. (it may take quite a few minutes until the change is fully processed)
Do always wait until the library is not scanned anymore. Your screenshot above indicates that you went in too early, when the library was not finished with scanning.

1) It's buggy from jump street - when it sorts backwards by default.

2) I thought Otto had indicated The Achilles Heel of the Beast - allowing users to regain some control... but alas... the Alien Space Monster has no Achilles Heel on any of it's many, horrible appendages... apparently.

3) long ago I tried to fiddle with the Sort Title - but that did nothing of any obvious value - so I gave up.

4) it seems we're still in a barricade situation... where it's entirely possible you'll have Fat Elvis in front of Sexy Elvis and there's nothing you can do about it...

B)