New appletv x265 support

apple-tv

Hey

I have a problem with cpu peaking on pre gen Apple TV when playing x265 files(10 bit audio 1080p). Is it supported to play these on the new appletv, with less transcoding? Basically not transcoding from x265 to 264. If not, will there be a new update to the app that supports this? Thanks!

Plex Server hasn't been updated yet to support h.265 on AppleTV's, so will be transcoding for now. Apple changed something in how the back end has to operate which requires pretty big changes by Plex. I can't recall the exact details. It's hidden away somewhere in one of the many other threads on h.265/HEVC.

There's a workaround that works if playing .mp4 files which involves manually editing the tvos.xml file on your server. You can give that a try. Other than that, only option is to wait.

@BastardSheep

yeah.. it takes a one line addition to the tvos settings file server side to playback HEVC content on the apple TV and it works with the previous version of apple TV not just the 4k....

it has nothing to do with apple changing anything... and even if it did.. is yet another reason that plex should have coded its own playback engine at the hardware level and not depend on apples API in the first place...

I think Plex should prioritise this. There are loads of people waiting for the update.

@znerken said:
I think Plex should prioritise this. There are loads of people waiting for the update.

I think they should prioritize something else. Like, proper playback of ALL media. There are way more people waiting for that.

Anyone have a link to the how-to or the line of code that's needed for the tvos.xml?

Follow this thread...https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/283275/is-hevc-already-in-the-apple-tv-4-profile

The answer in there is the lines you need to add...

Jus for the record. I have an ATV 4K, NAS Plex sever, made the changes listed in thread above and Plex on ATV plays H.265 content perfectly (I use iVI pro to re-encode all my video to H.264 and now I will reencode everything to H.265. I need to save some space on my NAS!

The plex team is prioritizing this. They have been working non-stop since the ATV 4k was released to fix this bug, and I can feel they are close to releasing a beta fix soon.

Of course they wouldn't let a huge bug like this survive for a long period. It would be really silly if they did.

Hey, I'm new to this forum/posting. But is there a beta version that supports x265 .mkv direct play through apple tv yet? If not, where would be the quickest way for me to find out when it's released, instead of continuously posting on here haha.

@jcarr84 said:
Hey, I'm new to this forum/posting. But is there a beta version that supports x265 .mkv direct play through apple tv yet? If not, where would be the quickest way for me to find out when it's released, instead of continuously posting on here haha.

Not yet. There's workarounds to get it going by editing the tvos.xml file, but I believe that only works for .mp4 containers. To do it properly Plex need to make some changes to the server side. I'm sure it'll be in the notes for the various updates when it comes (both server and client), so just keep an eye on those.

Is it fixed in the new version? Doesn't look like it when I tested it? What do you think?

@jcarr84 said:

There's an entire subforum at the very top of the forum for release announcements. It couldn't really get more obvious.

@"T'hain Esh Kelch" said:

@jcarr84 said:

There's an entire subforum at the very top for release announcements. It couldn't really get more obvious.

I did, and it say added 4k support, and my question was wether that fixes what we have discussed in this thread, or not.

Tried the new release yesterday and it's not playing 4k/HEVC. Maybe they meant 4k AVC only?

@znerken said:

@"T'hain Esh Kelch" said:

@jcarr84 said:

There's an entire subforum at the very top for release announcements. It couldn't really get more obvious.

I did, and it say added 4k support, and my question was wether that fixes what we have discussed in this thread, or not.
I didn't quote nor reply to you.

@Lattice said:
Tried the new release yesterday and it's not playing 4k/HEVC. Maybe they meant 4k AVC only?

MP4/MOV
4K/HEVC(I'm pretty sure.)

MKV
4K/AVC only for now, no HEVC but it is in the plan, it's a bit complex. No timeline but it's on their todo list and they have a plan to make it work.

Oh, right it was in mkv. Don’t have any mp4s to test at the moment. Might get around to trying to remux one again, last tool didn’t recognize hevc stream correctly and no playback.

MRMC is playing 4k HDR files now with direct play with the plex client on my apple tv. What a difference in quality. Nice that I dont have to use the plex App on the tv anymore. And I dont have to convert them from mkv to mp4 files either.

Did the latest update fix this now? I tried today, but no change on my server. Do I need to do something with the files?

@znerken said:
Did the latest update fix this now? I tried today, but no change on my server. Do I need to do something with the files?

Tried once more with a HVEC compatible file, still the transcoder is running at 100% CPU, so it’s obviously not playing the HVEC. What am I missing?