New Mobile Interface is Awful!

android-mobile

The new interface is not intuitive and is confusing to use. The layout is awful. Only spent about 5 minutes in it before I got mad and turned it off. At the very least we should be able to revert to the old version or downgrade. I have genres set up on my server which now are practically impossible to find. Sorry guys this one is a big fat goose egg.

Again…you can customize it to almost look like the old.

@missionsparta said:

Is there any information available on how to do that? I’m really having trouble with Plex’s new approach to server selection. Previously, one would select their desired server from a list on the upper left, and then would be presented with all the resources available from that server. Now, it seems that I have to first select movies from the bottom, then it provides a list of all libraries on all servers on one screen. While I would acknowledge that some people might like this presentation better, I don’t and think after several years of usage and functionality in this regard remaining solid, changing it so radically now is clumsy, cumbersome and non-intuitive.

If I can change it back on my own set up I will gladly do that. I’d appreciate a pointer to a walkthrough, tutorial or guide if one is available.

Thanks

@kcgodwins Here is an article that talks about customization of the the application. (https://support.plex.tv/articles/customizing-the-apps/) I understand that it will take some time to get used to the new change, but hopefully that article will help.

Ditto. No, just no. The new interface appears to have been created to pander to the lowest common denominator i.e. the crApple user, who shouldn’t be operating a smart toaster, must less a home media server.
Change it back or at least provide a ‘classic’ mode option, otherwise you will lose most of your up to now loyal users with an IQ over 80. If it ain’t broke…

I have two Plex servers but the new mobile app does not show my two servers like my PC program does… How can I select the proper server? Thanks for any help.

I like it. It does more than the last UI and is more user friendly. I do however love watching the fear of change freak people out. LOL. Carry on. I’ll be over here with my popcorn.

How do I add playlists to the home screen? They used to be a primary item in the hamburger menu.

Oh my goodness!! I totally agree. The new UI design is completely crap! These so called hidden customization features are not easy to find. I’m just reverting to the previous version. I simply don’t have the time or energy to relearn rethink refix something that wasn’t broken in the first place. These people know that they monoploize the vast majority of home media technology and yet they insist on making our lives miserable. Thanks!!!

@missionsparta said:

Where are the directions for this process? Specifically, where is my On Deck? I’ve read multiple posts now about how it’s in the Library, not the Home screen. This is not the case for me. If I go to TV shows, I do not see an On Deck option.

@cpribbonson said:
@kcgodwins Here is an article that talks about customization of the the application. (https://support.plex.tv/articles/customizing-the-apps/) I understand that it will take some time to get used to the new change, but hopefully that article will help.

Why did you change it? Did anyone who actually uses Plex for Android ask for this?

Change for change’s sake alone is foolish.

@chyron8472 said:

@cpribbonson said:

Why did you change it? Did anyone who actually uses Plex for Android ask for this?

Change for change’s sake alone is foolish.

I for one thought the old Hamburger crap needed to go. I can’t stand the hamburger.

Anyone remember New Coke? The backlash nearly killed one of the biggest beverage companies ever. They admitted they were wrong, and look where they are now.

Please, Plex. Revert back to the old interface. Don’t ruin this for your loyal user base just because of your pride. We all make mistakes. And we still love you…for now.

@nybos486 said:
Anyone remember New Coke? The backlash nearly killed one of the biggest beverage companies ever. They admitted they were wrong, and look where they are now.

Please, Plex. Revert back to the old interface. Don’t ruin this for your loyal user base just because of your pride. We all make mistakes. And we still love you…for now.

How in all hell does that have anything to do with reorganizing a mess of an app? It is actually easier to maneuver. Most people yelling are yelling because their habits have to change. You guys are acting like TV Shows are being hidden under Podcast, Podcasts under Movies, and Movies are hidden all together. It is all there the same as before. You just have to click a different spot of the screen as compared to before. If this versions was the original, and we switched to the old, you guys would be yelling about it still. We have a million glitches on this app, and I can’t believe the huge topic is why you have to click the bottom of the screen now as opposed to the side to get your movies.

@missionsparta said:

@nybos486 said:

How in all hell does that have anything to do with reorganizing a mess of an app? It is actually easier to maneuver. Most people yelling are yelling because their habits have to change. You guys are acting like TV Shows are being hidden under Podcast, Podcasts under Movies, and Movies are hidden all together. It is all there the same as before.

For one thing tapping the hamburger was not necessary. Just a swipe right would do.

Second, I don’t want all my separate servers’ libraries lumped together in a single subcategory menu. I want to tell my phone what server to show and just show that server.

Third, I do not want audiobook libraries mixed in with music libraries. I do not want Let’s Play libraries mixed in with TV Show libraries.

The choice to change it was completely arbitrary and the current implementation is buggy and broken. Don’t act like we’re being unreasonable just because we liked what we had, it worked how we organized it to work, it was simple to use and fairly intuitive even for the non-techie, and it wasn’t a broken buggy mess.

This new setup is too complicated for those in my family who are not me. My wife and my dad won’t want to have to relearn to whole dang interface just because Plex changed it up on a whim.

If I wanted to look at my audiobooks, which I do everyday, on the old setup it was a swipe and a click away.

@chyron8472 said:

@missionsparta said:

@nybos486 said:

How in all hell does that have anything to do with reorganizing a mess of an app? It is actually easier to maneuver. Most people yelling are yelling because their habits have to change. You guys are acting like TV Shows are being hidden under Podcast, Podcasts under Movies, and Movies are hidden all together. It is all there the same as before.

For one thing tapping the hamburger was not necessary. Just a swipe right would do.

Second, I don’t want all my separate servers’ libraries lumped together in a single subcategory menu. I want to tell my phone what server to show and just show that server.

Third, I do not want audiobook libraries mixed in with music libraries. I do not want Let’s Play libraries mixed in with TV Show libraries.

The choice to change it was completely arbitrary and the current implementation is buggy and broken. Don’t act like we’re being unreasonable just because we liked what we had, it worked how we organized it to work, it was simple to use and fairly intuitive even for the non-techie, and it wasn’t a broken buggy mess.

This new setup is too complicated for those in my family who are not me. My wife and my dad won’t want to have to relearn to whole dang interface just because Plex changed it up on a whim.

If I wanted to look at my audiobooks, which I do everyday, on the old setup it was a swipe and a click away.

Hahaha…relearn. hahaha. This is a media app…not intro to medical chemistry. Stop being so dramatic. With all the sync glitches and the many, many, many other glitches and common errors that have lasted for years…the issue of you have to relearn where to press your things takes a huge back seat.

@missionsparta said:

@chyron8472 said:

@missionsparta said:

@nybos486 said:

Hahaha…relearn. hahaha. This is a media app…not intro to medical chemistry. Stop being so dramatic. With all the sync glitches and the many, many, many other glitches and common errors that have lasted for years…the issue of you have to relearn where to press your things takes a huge back seat.

I’m not being dramatic. Do you know one reason why Apple products are so popular? Because they are inuitive and easy to use. Lots of people are intimidated by technology and they don’t like arbitrary change when they already understand how it used to work.

And just because the old app had bugs, that doesn’t mean we can’t complain about the new app not being as inuitive. Complaints don’t have to be submitted in triage. You are the one being dramatic by actively trivializing people’s opinions about an obviously subjective topic.

@missionsparta said:

@nybos486 said:

How in all hell does that have anything to do with reorganizing a mess of an app?

It’s actually a good analogy. The Coca-Cola Company did surveys of people to try and understand why people “liked” Pepsi better than Coke and determined it was because Pepsi was sweeter (more sugar). They then released New Coke (Coke II) which was much sweeter than the original coke. Sales dropped and they had to backtrack within 3 months. New Coke was a bad failure based on faulty marketing data. The company only “tested” and “saw” what it wanted to see, but failed to address the real reason.

That is not unlike what’s been happening here. Marketing through it’s surveys and “sampling” thinks it needs to address a “problem” that may or may not be there in the first place. It too is making drastic changes in it’s products based on this data and is initially ignoring negative feedback just like it did for PMP/XBOX UIs. “We know better” and users “will get used to it” come to mind. It appears they think forum users are the minority so the negative feedback is largely discounted since marketing surveys show other data.

I’ve always thought pulling existing apps and replacing them with new apps that function differently is just plain dumb for a number of reasons. First it puts undue pressure on the new release to function 100% correctly because there is no backup. You force a drastic change on users when they may not be prepared for it. You loose tons of useful data better than any sample or survey. By this I mean if you had 2 versions of an app available this can be used as split testing to see what users really think. At the end of the day if you push new versions but users switch back to older versions and stay there that says a lot.

All Plex needs to do is do releases similar to what they’ve done on the Roku platform where you can have the release and preview versions both available side by side.

We haven’t had the big backlash yet, but then again they haven’t pulled the rug out from under us on any major platform yet. Just wait until the new UI comes to Roku or maybe even the Shield TV.

I just don’t understand the one or another approach they are forcing on us. With minimal work they could have a hybrid UI that is more powerful than either by itself.

Words of wisdom, that. The almost unanimous 1 star reviews of the past week are telling… I hope Plex learns at least something from this.

Maybe Plex should work on things like local EAC3 support instead of “fixing” an interface that was fine to begin with. Lipstick on a pig and all of that.