New Plex app on Chromecast stuck on loading

chromecast

if it was working before is this something that was taken away?

Sort of. I’d assumed we’d be able to use DASH or mkv everywhere, but not all channels fit that profile. We should be able to get them working again but the ‘obvious’ change didn’t seem to work. I’ve added a task for us to look at this again.

And agreed that logs are always helpful :+1:

(I also don’t think I’m surprising anyone if I tell you that one reason to upgrade the player stack on chromecast was so that we can ‘catch up’ with other Plex apps that support content such as Live TV/DVR).

I’d also push again for not changing your chromecast.xml. If you find that actually does something, let us know and we can try and roll out the change for everyone.

Thanks!

I have attached my server log file.

FYI IP addresses 192.168.200.129 and 192.168.200.130 are Chromecasts

@“Dom C” I tried using going the official route and I setup Plex DVR/Live TV and I get this message below. My use case as is probably the majority of people out there is an android or ios based player casting to a TV.

This makes me sad. What is Plex’s plan here? Are we not supposed to be able to watch TV using a Chromecast and a HD TV? It makes no sense to me that you would handicap your own implementation and then release a player update that disables other 3rd party implementations that do work.

This makes me sad. What is Plex’s plan here? Are we not supposed to be able to watch TV using a Chromecast and a HD TV? It makes no sense to me that you would handicap your own implementation and then release a player update that disables other 3rd party implementations that do work.

The rewrite of the app was to use same player stack as the desktop application. This makes it possible in future to support Live TV/DVR as well as other Plex use cases that the previous player stack could not.

The first release of this rewrite was intended to match the behaviour of the previous receiver. (Hence the slightly weasel wordy ‘not currently supported’. Future releases will add support for other parts of Plex, but I can’t commit to exact timeframes. I’m afraid the break for HLS channels was not intended, and we hope to fix that if we can.

I hope that makes the plan a bit clearer, and I’m sorry you’re unable to use your Live TV solution right now.

@“Dom C” Appreciate the feedback, thanks. Can I send the family complaints to you guys? (Joke)

Same problem with Chromecast and channels (iptv.bundle). See log. Chromecast 2nd gen is 192.168.1.15, Plex ios application. Chromecast.xml never changed.

And also “News” impossible to play via Chromecast. Same error like LIVE TV.
Good mess with Chromecast update!

I’m still having 3 issues after looking though all the responses and solutions here.

1: I can’t cast any media though plex. I get “Loading: Playback will begin in a moment”. and the circle runs for awhile until it gives an error.

2: Not sure this is related to above, but when casting Plex, I get a screen that says “Ready to Cast”, but when I open a TV show or Movie folder on plex, the casted screen does not update to show what I’ve selected, or display the photo and description of the show as it used to.

3: I can’t gain a direct connection to plex on my phone anymore, all devices connected to the same LAN. I can only get direct connection, and I can’t cast to my chromecast from my android phone.

All these issues only occurred after the last update. When or how will this be fixed?

HLS is supported by Chromecast according to this reference:

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media
————
Delivery methods and adaptive streaming protocols

These are available through use of the Media Player Library, or you may use your own player library.

• MPEG-DASH
    *PlayReady (Security Level 2000)
    * Widevine (Level 1)
  • SmoothStreaming
    *PlayReady (Security Level 2000)
  • HTTP Live Streaming (HLS)
    * AES-128 encryption
    * Raw MP3 segments can be part of an HLS media playlist
  • Progressive download without adaptive switching (using the HTML media element only)

With adaptive bitrate streaming protocols, you must implement CORS. To implement an encrypted protocol, including DRM, you should develop a Custom Receiver. See DRM support for more information.

———————

Why PLEX channels doesn’t work with Chromecast?

News and live TV are not supported for casting, and weren’t on the old app either. One of the primary reasons for the new app was to bring it into line with the player technology we use on the desktop app so we can (in future) bring support for these parts of Plex.

We don’t use the MPL (for many, likely dull, reasons) but don’t currently support HLS. We do want to try to reenable this though.

@ChristianoFar you might fare better with a dedicated post for your issues, but hopefully I can help a bit here:

I can’t gain a direct connection to plex on my phone anymore, all devices connected to the same LAN. I can only get direct connection, and I can’t cast to my chromecast from my android phone.

Sounds like the potential problem here. Can you access your server ok from plex.tv/web?

DOM C, But it will be more comfortable from user point of view for casting everything to Chromecast (news, channels, live tv).
Many tv in the world don’t have plex smart tv application, many people don’t want to see tv from computer, they want big Tvset probably with Chromecast.

Better if plex also will support other UPnP cast devices for othe tvset and recievers( for example Sony Bravia tv cast , Samsung tv and money other). If plex will support many tvset and Chromecast for all content (Channels, news, Live tv, films, music , pictures)- it will be great and main video , audio cast application in AppStore and google play!!!

I made research of App Store applications which can work with Chromecast.
Some of them working very bad with Chromecast.

Only nPlayer plus and Plex working not bad with surround sound and Chromecast especially if Chromecast passthrow needs (I used audio extractor with SPDIF toslink output for surround sound )
Chinese application “GSE IPTV” working good with iptv list from m3u files with Chromecast , but it doesn’t support DLNA servers.

Other applications with DLNA support can’t work with iptv throw DLNA ( now plex also can’t because of temporarily channel problem)

But no app in AppStore which work good with surround sound and iptv (probably live tv) together.

For now plex is one of the best in appstore from surround sound, because no one app except PLEX can transcode AAC 5.1 to AC3 DD and made AC3 passthrough. even nPlayer Plus can’t made it!

If you return channels to Chromecast (for example for m3u playlist and others interesting applications) and probably other feature (live tv, news) plex will be the best from Chromecast user point of view in AppStore and probably in google play also !!

@“Dom C” said:
News and live TV are not supported for casting, and weren’t on the old app either. One of the primary reasons for the new app was to bring it into line with the player technology we use on the desktop app so we can (in future) bring support for these parts of Plex.

We don’t use the MPL (for many, likely dull, reasons) but don’t currently support HLS. We do want to try to reenable this though.

@ChristianoFar you might fare better with a dedicated post for your issues, but hopefully I can help a bit here:

I can’t gain a direct connection to plex on my phone anymore, all devices connected to the same LAN. I can only get direct connection, and I can’t cast to my chromecast from my android phone.

Sounds like the potential problem here. Can you access your server ok from plex.tv/web?

it will be more comfortable from user point of view for casting everything to Chromecast

Definitely! And to be clear, that was a big reason for the change in tech under the hood. We hope to bring more of Plex to Chromecast in future.

Give us info when channel ( plugins ) will be playable throw Chromecast. Do you have any news when fix will be implemented?

I just tested the new update and HD Homerunner Channel still doesn’t work.

@brimur said:
I have my Chromecast set to install preview versions and noticed last night that the new Plex for Chromecast app was installed. I was not able to stream any of my channels/plugins to it. Looking at the Plex server itself it was as if nothing was bring requested. The channels/plugins work on the phone app fine, I just can’t cast them to the new Plex for Chromecast app

Like us

Also having the same issue described above,so would be great if you could let us know when fixed!
My issue only started yesterday. Can share logs if that’s helpful - but will need guidance on where/how to get these logs.

Hi @“Dom C” Its been almost a month now, just curious is there are any plans yet to fix this issue? Its painful having to play stuff on Plex for Android and cast the whole screen to Chromecast! Thanks

As I understand @“Dom C” is on vacation.

@brimur said:
Hi @“Dom C” Its been almost a month now, just curious is there are any plans yet to fix this issue? Its painful having to play stuff on Plex for Android and cast the whole screen to Chromecast! Thanks

As mentioned elsewhere, the channel playback fix is in review and testing now.

Just saw this was fixed, delighted! Thanks so much @“Dom C” and team