New search feature in Plex web app

plex-web

First let me say how glad I am that you guys added a global search. I do have some questions about it.

I have a large movie collection and I have it in 20 libraries (genres) in Plex so we can browse a particular genre when we want. Sometimes though I would like to see all the movies with a particular actor., for example John Wayne, as I have so many of his movies in various libraries and I can't always remember what I have.

If I search "John Wayne" the drop down says:
Show all results

MOVIES
(It lists 3)

ACTORS
(It lists 3 in individual libraries, for example John Wayne in Westerns)

DIRECTORS

EPISODES
(TV shows that have John Wayne, only one is showing up but there are 2 more)

If I select "Show all results" it only gives the one tv episode that it found under EPISODES above. If I select John Wayne in Westerns then I only see the movies he was in, in that library.

Is there a way to see a complete list of all movies at one time with John Wayne from all libraries? I don't really want to look in each genre at the results seperately as this would take awhile. I feel like SHOW ALL RESULTS show do this but for some reason mine isn't.

I asked a similar question about the new search. Unfortunately, Plex inexplicably saw fit to release the new search functionality in an unfinished state, as I learned in that thread.

Clicking on the 'Show all results...' link in the Quick Search dropdown takes you to the full Search page. Unfortunately, the full search page is the old full search, which can't do what you're asking. Eventually the full search page will, I hope, do what you're asking.

On another note, may I ask why you chose to create individual libraries based on Genre? The Plex filters include a genre filter, so if all your movies were in one library, you can narrow the list quite easily. You can also filter by actor, so you could find John Wayne in the same way. The only thing you can't do is mix movies and TV shows in the same library.

I created libraries instead of using the genre for a couple of reasons.

The automatic genres that are assigned aren't always the way I want them. I don't want to manually edit them for each movie either.

I really only have about 10 libraries for my movies (from dvd) but I have about 10 more that are for movies I have recorded. I don't want these mixed together as I usually delete the recorded ones after I watch them or will sometime in the future. I record a lot more than I can get watched for a long time :-)

Also, I have it set up so my young son can easily navigate and find certain things.

I do have the tv shows all in one library.

Well, I haven't looked at the genre, actor and other filters and features related to such in a long time. I decided to look a it works these days and I'm inspired to put all my movies together and use these features. I still have an issue with editing the genres on so many movies.

Is there a way to batch edit information about several movies at one time?

Also, if I change information (such as genre) can I back this up some way so that Plex will know it if I had to start over with Plex sometime?

Open the Library to create the collection
Click the Select button so the checkmark disappears. This puts you into multi-select mode (not intuitive, I know).

Click the poster for each item to be added to the Collection

Click the Edit button. You’ll get an edit dialog that will apply to all the selected movies. Make sure you only edit things that you want to apply to ALL the movies you selected.

@wunderlong88 said:
Also, if I change information (such as genre) can I back this up some way so that Plex will know it if I had to start over with Plex sometime?

This page talks about backing up your Plex server data.

So helpful! TY!
Is there a way to view all of the movies in a given library that I have left the genre field blank?

@wunderlong88 said:
So helpful! TY!
You're welcome.
Is there a way to view all of the movies in a given library that I have left the genre field blank?

I'm not aware of any way to do that.

@beckfield said:
I asked a similar question about the new search. Unfortunately, Plex inexplicably saw fit to release the new search functionality in an unfinished state, as I learned in that thread.

Clicking on the 'Show all results...' link in the Quick Search dropdown takes you to the full Search page. Unfortunately, the full search page is the old full search, which can't do what you're asking. Eventually the full search page will, I hope, do what you're asking.

On another note, may I ask why you chose to create individual libraries based on Genre? The Plex filters include a genre filter, so if all your movies were in one library, you can narrow the list quite easily. You can also filter by actor, so you could find John Wayne in the same way. The only thing you can't do is mix movies and TV shows in the same library.

"The Plex filters include a genre filter".. genres are subjective. Does Plex have "Sneakers" in Comedy? Nope.. "Adventure/Drama", but on mine, Comedy is where it belongs. The Adventure comes along for the ride, and forget about Drama, no one is ever on the verge of breaking down and crying (a requirement for Drama on my server). Plex needs to focus on design of versatility not common-denominator. That's why some of us need to "game" the features a bit.

(I also thing this question answers itself if any of the people who in charge of Plex actually loved movies and TV and used Plex. It's really obvious that they don't).