No audio on iPad with ac3

ios

With the recent iOS Plex update, version 4.9 my brother has not been able to get any audio with 2.0 or 5.1 AC3 audio tracks on his 4th gen iPad.

If he forces the quality to 2 mbps 720p or lower in the app, the server transcodes the audio to AAC and it plays fine.

I've just updated to PMS 1.5.1.3520, hoping that the new Dolby codecs would fix it but it didn't.

I too am having a similar issue, with 4.9 and 4.10 clients for Plex for iOS. My older ipad, running 4.4.1 is not having this issue. Is there a setting or something that needs changed?

I second this. Just bought Plex lifetime pass for the kids and can only get sound on dd5.1 ac3 sound by manually dumping the quality to 1,5mbps 480p.

Only took 1 hour to "fix" it.

At 120 euros not so impressed, but hopefully it will be fixed

I'm having this problem as well on an iPad 4 - both Plex and iOS are up-to-date. I have an iPad Air running the exact same setup, and there's no problems there.

@MyWorldRS said:
I second this. Just bought Plex lifetime pass for the kids and can only get sound on dd5.1 ac3 sound by manually dumping the quality to 1,5mbps 480p.

Only took 1 hour to "fix" it.

At 120 euros not so impressed, but hopefully it will be fixed

By no means an acceptable "solution" but thank you for suggesting a lower bitrate. I set to 720p and the audio is coming across now on the iPad 4 all a sudden. Hope they get this figured out soon. My new Ipad Minis and iphone 6s plus don't have any issues with default settings.