No mobile synced content?

plex-vr

#1

Am I just missing it or is this missing mobile sync entirely? Not only that, but it's missing the capability to be called from an external app, which means I can't even select it as a video player from the regular Plex app.

It looks fantastic, even if it's a little taxing for the phone compared to some other apps. But it's lacking in that crucial feature -- if I'm at home I have a home theatre, if I'm on the train, which is when I use VR, I don't have wifi, so it's all synced content.

And to think, this could all be so easily solved if you just put the media in a user-accessible location!!


#2

I agree. The greatest use case for this feature for me is to use on the plane to get immersed in my media and forget that I am on a plane, and this won't work without being able to play mobile sync content.


#3

It can still be done, it's just a janky solution -- I set Plex to use an external player, and select VRTV for it. Skybox would be preferable but they don't support direct external access like that.

But even more preferable is, y'know, the company's own app. I don't blame them for maybe looking to Netflix VR as an example, which also doesn't support mobile sync, but IMO that's a terrible example -- just a port of their set top app. Not to mention that the fact media is stored locked away in the first place is ridiculous. Easiest fix would be to store synced content in userland rather than applicationland.


#4

@drumstyx said:
But it's lacking in that crucial feature -- if I'm at home I have a home theatre, if I'm on the train, which is when I use VR, I don't have wifi, so it's all synced content.

And to think, this could all be so easily solved if you just put the media in a user-accessible location!!

So much this...


#5

If you have Plex for Android on the same device where you synced content and in Plex for Android enable "Advertise as Server" ( Settings>Sharing) then your Plex for Android will show as another server in Plex VR. The server name will be name of device.

There is an issue with Plex VR itself not loading when no network unfortunately which is another issue being worked on.


#6

Ah that'll make it for me!

When you say it won't load with no network, do you mean it needs internet, or do I just need an active network adapter of some kind? I can fake out the latter for a plane or whatever, but obviously not the former. Works for the train though :)


#7

@BigWheel said:
If you have Plex for Android on the same device where you synced content and in Plex for Android enable "Advertise as Server" ( Settings>Sharing) then your Plex for Android will show as another server in Plex VR. The server name will be name of device.

There is an issue with Plex VR itself not loading when no network unfortunately which is another issue being worked on.

I tried this. My Pixel 2XL shows up in the server list in Plex VR, but as Offline. So I can't select it.
Has anyone been able to use it with synced content?


#8

I managed to select it, haven't tried playing anything yet since I'm at work -- the commute home will tell the story!


#9

While we're talking about this and networking -- does 'advertise as server' depend on the network?


#10

usually advertise as server would be so a completely different device can see it, so yes a Network is expected. This is a new thing and have access to no network at all may work. However due to the separate issue of PlexVR not loading when no network it is not something I have been able to test.


#11

Yeah I've noticed that when there's no network (emulating with Airplane Mode), the Plex VR app just loads the last used environment, but won't show any menu of any kind, nor can I select any media or bring any menu up.

Is it planned to have this working with offline content? I was most excited about using this on a plane because it works so well at home!


#12

I've noticed that > @JonniG said:

@BigWheel said:
If you have Plex for Android on the same device where you synced content and in Plex for Android enable "Advertise as Server" ( Settings>Sharing) then your Plex for Android will show as another server in Plex VR. The server name will be name of device.

There is an issue with Plex VR itself not loading when no network unfortunately which is another issue being worked on.

I tried this. My Pixel 2XL shows up in the server list in Plex VR, but as Offline. So I can't select it.
Has anyone been able to use it with synced content?

I was able to do it once, but not since then. It would be nice if this worked smoothly and without a network connection since plane rides is the main use case for me...


#13

@torrobinson said:
Yeah I've noticed that when there's no network (emulating with Airplane Mode), the Plex VR app just loads the last used environment, but won't show any menu of any kind, nor can I select any media or bring any menu up.

Is it planned to have this working with offline content? I was most excited about using this on a plane because it works so well at home!

Yes we know there are issues when no network for the VR app in general regardless of synced content. It will be worked on


#14

I got to the point after advertising as a server, to be able to access my local sync'd content. But no matter what I try to play, I get an error, "Couldn't start video playback". Any idea what's going on here?


#15

Yes we know there are issues when no network for the VR app in general regardless of synced content. It will be worked on

Just a quick update, as of v1.2.0 the app works fine (meaning that local content can be browsed and played) in offline mode. You still need to be online in order to sign in during the initial run, but from that point on it should be fine (otherwise please report any issues here).


#16

Regarding the access to synced content from a Plex for Android install on the same phone, that's not working reliably (or at all) at the moment but is something that we want to address on a future update to the app. Thanks everyone for you patience.


#17

@drumstyx said:
It can still be done, it's just a janky solution -- I set Plex to use an external player, and select VRTV for it. Skybox would be preferable but they don't support direct external access like that.

But even more preferable is, y'know, the company's own app. I don't blame them for maybe looking to Netflix VR as an example, which also doesn't support mobile sync, but IMO that's a terrible example -- just a port of their set top app. Not to mention that the fact media is stored locked away in the first place is ridiculous. Easiest fix would be to store synced content in userland rather than applicationland.

@BigWheel said:
If you have Plex for Android on the same device where you synced content and in Plex for Android enable "Advertise as Server" ( Settings>Sharing) then your Plex for Android will show as another server in Plex VR. The server name will be name of device.

There is an issue with Plex VR itself not loading when no network unfortunately which is another issue being worked on.

Just wanted to say, so glad I found this post. Thanks!


Well, the TVVR method works, but the Advertise as Server doesn't without network.

@ManuelPG said:

Yes we know there are issues when no network for the VR app in general regardless of synced content. It will be worked on

Just a quick update, as of v1.2.0 the app works fine (meaning that local content can be browsed and played) in offline mode. You still need to be online in order to sign in during the initial run, but from that point on it should be fine (otherwise please report any issues here).

I'm running 1.2.0.5 with no luck when airplane mode is on.


#18

Ok, so i am using a pixel XL and am unable to access synced content when i am using the headset. My phone is connected to Wifi, the videos are synced, but the pixel xl never shows up as a server in the server list. Any ideas or solutions to fixing this?


#19

This will be supported with a future app update, there's no reliable way to get it to work otherwise.