Not local server option with app

plex-for-kodi

I installed Kodi 17.4 on RetroPie, and Plex 0.1.3 add-on. When starting the add-on there is no option to use a local server. It's forcing me to use a plex.tv login.

I did the following:
* Uninstalled Plex add-on
* Disabled auto-updates
* Deleted ~/.kodi/addons/script.module.request (v2.18.4)
* Installed Request 2.12.4 into ~/.kodi/addons/script.module.request
* On Plex Server v1.9.4.4325, changed Settings>Network>Secure connections to "Preferred" (note, Remote Access enabled for my Plex TV account)
* Started EmulationStation & Kodi, Installed Plex v0.1.3 (no option to install a previous version)
* Started Plex, and forced to Sign-In using a Plex.tv account - no local server option.

You don’t need to go through those hoops anymore… installing Plex from the repo will work fine. But the requirement for a plex.tv login won’t change… doesn’t mean you can’t access local servers, however.

@keithah said:
But the requirement for a plex.tv login won’t change… doesn’t mean you can’t access local servers, however.

First, thanks for the reply.

So what happens when I choose to not have my RetroPie media center on a network with internet access? I can’t use the local Plex server?

When signing in using my Plex.TV account, does all traffic get routed through the internet and plex.tv, or does the app connect directly to my local server using the local network?

Traffic never gets routed through Plex servers unless it says ‘indirect’ which means it’s forced to relay because it couldn’t connect any other way. Plex will always try to connect locally with every client, the Kodi addon being no different.

As long you’ve logged in via internet before, it should work offline still. If it doesn’t, please post a Kodi log so we can look at why.

@keithah said:
Traffic never gets routed through Plex servers unless it says ‘indirect’ which means it’s forced to relay because it couldn’t connect any other way. Plex will always try to connect locally with every client, the Kodi addon being no different.

As long you’ve logged in via internet before, it should work offline still. If it doesn’t, please post a Kodi log so we can look at why.

I don’t have an internet connection on my primary HTPC network. It’s local only. Therefore, I can’t use Plex as it requires (at least, in part), authentication/communication with Plex.tv servers. I just can’t believe you force that.

If you’ve logged in once it should cache creds. If it doesn’t, it’s a bug.

@keithah said:
If you’ve logged in once it should cache creds. If it doesn’t, it’s a bug.

But that’s my point. How can I authenticate if I don’t have a connection to the internet? I can’t, and therefore I can’t use my local network Plex server.