Nvidia Shield Plex video freezing only on "TRUEHD" audio movies if quality over 720P

android-tv
fire-tv

I recently noticed that when I play some movies that the video freezes immediately upon playing the movie and all i get is the sound playing. The movies play fine from ios, android, web, and firetv. This is streaming from my server on a gigabit local LAN. I was able to get the movie to play by uninstalling all updates, clearing data, and clearing cache. I signed back in and it played. But the first time i paused the movie and started playing it again the video was frozen. When I fast forward the picture changes to a frame of the movie that i fast forwarded to and the sound starts playing. When this happened again i checked the the updates to plex had not yet been installed after the removal. I then installed the updates and tried again but no luck. In each of these tests i did restart the shield device.
Plex server is running version 1.8.4.4249
The movies are .264 mkv files.

Has anyone experienced this problem? What do I need to provide to help with the troubleshooting?

I have been able to narrow down the problem to the following. Any of my movies that are encoded with "TRUEHD" audio cannot play the video if the quality is set higher then 720P. When i bring up the display overlay it says that TRUEHD audio has to be transcoded.

On any of my other devices- FireTV gen 1, gen 2, and the web portal I am able to play all the movies that are encoded with the TRUEHD audio.

Could anyone explain why I can't play these movies on original quality on the Shield TV?

So the trueaudio just seems to choke. It’s done it for a while. It keeps trying to transcode when it shouldn’t. My stereo supports ATMOS. All we can really do is ask plex to fix it. I know I have.

I can confirm the lag from TrueHD on the Shield. Just upgraded from my FireTV box. The video we used had Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby 7.1; when I disabled 7.1 and went 5.1 all the lag stopped. This seems to be common throughout my library as my favorite stuff is in higher quality and lags, while the other videos do not. Is there a memory or buffer lag that the AndroidTV app doesn't account for with the higher bandwidth audio?

@snowace56 said:
So the trueaudio just seems to choke. It’s done it for a while. It keeps trying to transcode when it shouldn’t. My stereo supports ATMOS. All we can really do is ask plex to fix it. I know I have.

Dolby TrueHD and ATMOS are not the same things. Have you provided logs from the Shield while trying to play back a file with TrueHD? If not, please do so.

Also, this forum section is for Plex Media Server running on a Shield.

@shwarmy90584 said:
I have been able to narrow down the problem to the following. Any of my movies that are encoded with "TRUEHD" audio cannot play the video if the quality is set higher then 720P. When i bring up the display overlay it says that TRUEHD audio has to be transcoded.

On any of my other devices- FireTV gen 1, gen 2, and the web portal I am able to play all the movies that are encoded with the TRUEHD audio.

Does your receiver support Dolby TrueHD? What you describe is common when trying to play an unsupported audio format.

If you are having issues with playback, that could be a client issue and should be posted in https://forums.plex.tv/categories/android-tvs. Let me know and I can move this entire thread.

I have noticed recently that my plex is freezing too. Even playing audio (FLAC) files it judders for a few seconds and then plays again every now and then (once or twice an hour.) on tv shows and on movies, it didn't do this before so I've been thinking that it's a shield update or plex update issue, or possibly that I have always ran the shield at max performance?? I have a gigabit network running and have an Onkyo receiver with passthrough enabled and it is dolby atmos etc enabled. Though even playing lower resolution files and simple audio it still gets the lockup.

Have to bump this. My new Shield (2017 version) will not display 1080p video when audio passthrough is enabled and the file has TrueHD audio. This effect can be replicated every time. Changing the video to 720p, as described above, allows the file to play without issue.

Im having the same issue on my nvidia shield, its guaranteed any video with trueHD audio just flat out freezes…How come there is no official response to this yet ? What is the deal ? Any official word from anyone that is taking our money ?

I’ve not seen anyone post any logs since asked, they will be needed to help
troubleshoot

I started a video with TrueHD and audio cuts in and out and video completely freezes, I let the video run about 20 seconds before I downloaded the logs.

They are attached, thanks for the quick reply to my comment.

Also, I noticed just now if I leave the 7.1 TrueHD audio on and downgrade the video to 720P the audio and video play without an issue.

@mhsbrian said:
Also, I noticed just now if I leave the 7.1 TrueHD audio on and downgrade the video to 720P the audio and video play without an issue.

At a low enough quality, the audio gets transcoded too so it’s not TrueHD anymore. What type of receiver do you have and can you confirm that TrueHD is supported?

I’m checking your logs now.

@mhsbrian, do you happen to have an older TV model with HDMI 1.3 or 1.4? I remember seeing similar logs when I tried to enable refresh rate switching, especially this line:
“Failed to stream media, client probably disconnected: 10054 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host”

Looks to me like some sort of handshake issue/timeout.

I also experienced the same behavior as the OP describes with a 1080p 8bit TrueHD h264 mkv file today. I don’t think it’s the PMS’s fault, but rather the client app’s.

@pproba said:
@mhsbrian, do you happen to have an older TV model with HDMI 1.3 or 1.4? I remember seeing similar logs when I tried to enable refresh rate switching, especially this line:
“Failed to stream media, client probably disconnected: 10054 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host”

Looks to me like some sort of handshake issue/timeout.

I also experienced the same behavior as the OP describes with a 1080p 8bit TrueHD h264 mkv file today. I don’t think it’s the PMS’s fault, but rather the client app’s.

I have a Sony X900E with a HDMI 2.0 cable between the shield and the TV.
It also looks like my friend who has the same model TV as me doesn’t have this issue when using Plex at his place on the built in Android TV. This might be something just with the shield.

Following up on the log you provided earlier, there is nothing in there to indicate a problem. Although the audio is not coming out as True-HD. PMS is transcoding the audio to EAC3. Can you reproduce the problem but this time get me the log from the Shield?

I’ve had the exact same problem. HVEC 4K file with trueHD can’t play - DTS works fine. Receiver can handle anything.