One interface for Plex and iTunes movies?

apple-tv

Is there any known way to view both an iTunes movie collection (e.g. movies purchased via iTunes) AND a Plex library from one interface (I’m not asking about Plex playing iTunes movies; I know that’s not possible)? My movie collection is split between iTunes and Plex, but it’s super annoying to have to toggle between tvOS’s movie / tv app and Plex in order to view everything. Regardless of whether the movie plays in Plex or I have to switch to another player (to play iTunes purchased movies), being able to see the contents of my entire collection in one.single.spot. would be SO nice! Any suggestions or possibilities? Thanks!

Nope. Not possible unless you put everything in iTunes.

You can remove the DRM from your iTunes movies with TunesKit (no reencoding!) and add them to Plex.

Was looking to avoid A) putting everything in Plex or B ) putting everything in iTunes (at some point it will all be consolidated, but that takes money and time).

I assume this isn’t possible because Apple must not have an API for iTunes purchases?

Suppose one (not really elegant) option would be to “spoof” the movies in Plex via manual lookups on dummy files. I’d get the covers / info, and just wouldn’t be able to play ‘em in Plex, which would be the indication that they’re iTunes movies.

Just add the folder you are keeping your iTunes movies as a location in your Movie library. The movies from iTunes will show up in the single movie library, they just won’t play unless you strip the drm.

@arobe79 said:
Just add the folder you are keeping your iTunes movies as a location in your Movie library. The movies from iTunes will show up in the single movie library, they just won’t play unless you strip the drm.

That’s a possibility, though I’d rather not take up the disk space for 100 iTunes movies that are available in the cloud. Think I might modify this approach, though, by adding the folder, downloading the movies, letting Plex pick them up, and then deleting the files (my library is set to not auto delete library items) since there’s no point to keeping ‘em since Plex won’t play them anyway.
I’ll mark this as the answer for now, but if anyone else has better ideas, let me know!

+1

I’d love to BROWSE my entire library including iTunes purchased movies at once even if I can’t WATCH it all in Plex. (I watch Plex movies in Infuse anyway, so I use PMP mainly for browsing.)

@Arobe79, I like your answer, but like R3ason, prefer not to take up space when Apple is already hosting the files. I may have 18 TB, but I’d still like

I’d love it if Plex could scan my iTunes Library and put a folder of “iTunes Library” with images, metadata, reviews, trailers, etc., and simply display “Watch In iTunes” somewhere conspicuous. Obviously, it would ignore any copies that already exist in my Plex library (there’s QUITE a bit of overlap due to free digital redemptions with my purchased physical media movies).