OTA DVR Broken After Roku Update

roku

My Roku just installed the new Plex version. Since the install, none of the shows that I've recorded over the air using the DVR function are playable. It buffers to 99%, sits there for awhile and then shows a message that says "We could not play the selected video". Files play fine on all the other Plex apps I use (web, iOS). What happened Plex?!

Unless I am mistaken, and you will need to verify this, the Plex DVR does not transcode as part of recording OTA. This means your DVR recordings are mpeg2 encoded, which Roku does not support. This in turn means that Plex is required to transcode the file to H264 before Roku can do anything.

I have already previously reported that the most recent Plex Pass preview versions have a transcoding problem that is specific to them(the older Roku client (5.0.7) worked fine). I expected it to break the dvr, but as I don't use Plex for that, identifying it as a transcoding issue "resolved" my problem.

I didn't check this, but an optimized transcode might work around the issue, even with the "live" transcoder being broken somehow.

I can confirm that converting the mpeg2 into a h264 file via handbrake does resolve the problem. Although that's less than ideal for programs you intend to watch and delete via the DVR.

Additional note: If you have an old enough Roku unit, Plex may also transcode h264 files with framerates above 30FPS. Making sure DirectPlay is enabled(either Auto or Force) may resolve that specific problem, It did for my TCL TV w/Roku.

I have a Roku 4, which is one of their most recent models. It received the latest Plex update and the OTA recordings quit working. They worked great Before the update. I have a Roku 3 as well, which is an older model. It did not receive the latest update and it can still play the recorded shows with no problem. I can’t help but think the update broke it.

The "break point" was 5.0.8 as that implemented the offending change(s), so a client older than that should work.

As to mpeg2, I don't think any Roku device capable of running Plex 5.x supports the format natively. Which means a trip to the broken transcoder. However, the devs could likely use confirmation on the encoding details(h264/mpeg/other) for some of the programs that do and do not work.

Here is another kink in the mix. I just used my Roku 3. It had automatically updated to the latest version of the Plex app for Roku (Version 5.1, Build 1) and it could play the recordings just fine. When I go to my Roku 4 running the same version of the app (Version 5.1, Build 1), it cannot play the recording. It sits at 99% for quite some time and then shows a message that says "We could not play the selected video". I've attached logs if this helps.

I have the same issue on my Roku TV. It is a transcoding issues for me. The recording are recorded on Plex DVR. I changed the stream to direct play and it is working. She said that it will not let her Fast forward though the commercials, tho. I hope for a fix soon.

@mcclure83 said:
I have the same issue on my Roku TV. It is a transcoding issues for me. The recording are recorded on Plex DVR. I changed the stream to direct play and it is working. She said that it will not let her Fast forward though the commercials, tho. I hope for a fix soon.

I'm also experiencing the issue with fast forward/rewind on my Roku TV- both with Direct Play and transcoding.

Anyone from Plex read these posts? I find their lack of support frustrating.

Just updated to the latest version of Plex Media Server on the public train. Version is now 1.11.3.4803. Roku app is still on version 5.1, build 1. PMS is running on a Mac Mini (2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM). All media storage is on a Synology NAS. All wired devices are connected to a gig switch. Still having the same problem. Media tries to play and gets to 99%. I see the PMS transcoder fire up and it says that it is transcoding. Then get an message on the TV that says it can't play the video file. The Roku is model number 4400X (Roku 4). The OTA files will not play on this Roku. However, they WILL play on my Roku model number 4200X (Roku 3). Both devices have Direct Play set to "Auto" and Allow Direct Stream checked. Both devices are running the latest Roku OS.

New log files attached.

Still broken. I enabled remote logging on my Roku and tried to play files again.

2/24/18 at 23:19 CST
2/24/18 at 23:20 CST

I think I got this figured out. If I set Plex to leave the recordings at “Original Format” and set the HDHomeRun box to “Heavy” on the transcoder settings, it seems to be working. Not sure how or why things got changed.

Same problem here as well....odd thing is the DVRed content plays fine on Roku Ultra but not on Roku 4....best solution I have found is to uncheck "Allow Direct stream" in the media's streams dialog on the roku 4 then it will play....but server is then transcoding H264 to H264....obviously some bug with playback on Roku 4....Really hope this get fixed soon....was working fine earlier....The "Original format" solution above results in 5+ GB files for 720p content....not really a solution that works for me....If you can, please change this thread to "unanswered"....as no really good solutions exist and definitely a playback bug with Roku 4 and DVR content....

Hey all, sorry for the troubles! We are currently investigating this now. What we know. Playback of raw LiveTV feeds is a known issue on the Roku 4, and we do disable direct stream automatically for liveTV, but it looks like we need to do this for DVR content too (anything saved from the live TV feed if not converted). We will continue to investigate and find the proper solution.

In the meantime, the workaround would be to Disable direct streaming in the Video settings. This will force anything that would normally be transcoded to convert the incompatible video stream instead of copying it.

Anyone experiencing this, could you confirm a few data points.
1. Go to Roku Home -> Settings -> System -> About`
2. Include the following info
- Model :
- Software Version :

@ljunkie "Disable direct streaming in the Video settings." Where? On which device? Which app?