Playback issues, direct play just stops after a few seconds when playing HEVC on chromecast

chromecast

Hello!

I'm having some issues with playback on my chromecast ultra. I have the latest plex stable version, a chromecast ultra with latest firmware.

When I try to play a HEVC movie it starts playing for a few seconds, varying from 10 seconds to about 60 seconds and then it just stops. This happens on all my 4K HEVC HDR movies. If I play anything else (that I've tried so far) it works. If I force a transcode of the same movie it also works.

This started happening about a week or two ago, I'm not sure if it started happening after I updated plex media server.

I have tried starting the cast from my PC and from my Android phone but the same thing happens. I have reset my chromecast ultra and reinstalled plex media server but nothing works. I have also downloaded the latest git version of ffmpeg but can simply not figure out what is wrong.

Any ideas?

I am seeing confusing & contradictory information in your log file.

Can you show me the XML (Hover over it, Get info -> View XML) ?

The server has more than enough CPU power even in the Generic KVM host.

It almost behaves, although I see nothing definitive whatsoever, that it's waiting on the network or chromecast itself. It's trying to send data packets every 3 milliseconds. This is why I need to see the XML (how high is the resolution ..4K, etc)

Would it be possible to capture just you performing a playback and not interwoven streams? It's not a requirement but does make it easier when given only 1 file to work with

Thank you for the support!

As requested, I have now isolated two direct streams from two movies as well as their xml files.

The plex media server itself is running in a KVM. The hardware contains 64GB of RAM and a Ryzen 1700x with 8 cores 16 threads of which the plex KVM has access to 14 logical cores. When transcoding a 80000 kbit/s 4K HEVC movie the playback can get choppy but does continue working, it never shuts off like direct stream does.

There used to be no issues when direct streaming 4K HEVC, this is a recent issue that started happening as I mention, about two weeks ago. Before this I believe it worked flawlessly.

I use 5GHz WIFI with my chromecast, the server has a 1GBit/s wired connection to the router. I have tried using the chromecast with a cable with no success. The router logs display no apparent errors.

My plex server has SSL preferred on. I use a reverse proxy for outside access instead of opening ports.

A while back I had issues with plex on my chromecast refusing to playback HDR. I solved this by testing a custom chromecast profile. That worked without issues. After I updated plex media server the chromecast profile got replaced with the default one again and it seemed like HDR worked fine with the default one after update so I left the default one there. As the playback issues I currently have arose, I yet again replaced my chromecast profile to see if it made any difference but it does not. The profile I currently have (which is not default) is this:

https://pastebin.com/Xvf484e7

I'm not sure what just happened but my whole answer just got removed. I had added a bunch of logs in there. Any chance of restoring the deleted post? If not I'll have to get back to you when I get home.

From what I can see, there is no post to restore here. Whatever you had posted didn't actually make it . Cancelled by accident or refreshed before it completed the POST operation?

Thanks for letting me know you're using a Ryzen. None of have one . We don't know what to expect from it as it related to video.

Oh wait the post is there, for some strange reason I couldn't see it at work at all. Either way all the info is there. If you need any more let me know.

I should also add; I'm using an old version of the plex app, 5.9.1, when casting from my phone due to the new one not casting with HDR enabled. I can direct stream 4K HEVC movies with the newest app but it lacks HDR.

With this information, coupled with the lack of any smoking gun in the server logs, I am almost certain this is a player issue.

Can you replicate the problem when playing to anything else which isn't android? e.g Web browser or other dedicated Plex player app

The issue arises only when casting to my chromecast ultra on my LG B7 HDR TV. It happens when I cast from my android phone and when I cast from my PC with plex web.

I have now tried direct streaming the same two movies inside my android plex player on my phone, not casting to my chromecast. This works, although the screen is blue. Here are the logs from direct streaming to my android phone. I can not verify whether or not HDR works as my phone does not have HDR. I'm not even sure if the plex android app supports playing HDR locally.

I actually can get the casting to work with direct stream as well, however there are two issues.

1: When I use the old android app 5.9.1, I can cast with HDR with direct stream to my TV (Chromecast ultra) and it works for a few seconds but then the stream cuts out (this is what the logs in my original post shows).

1.1: Same thing happens when I cast from plex web to my TV (Chromecast ultra), HDR works but the stream cuts out after a few seconds.

2: When I use the newest android app 6.3.6, I can not cast HDR but direct stream does work on my TV (Chromecast ultra) without cutting out. HDR however is not enabled.

So to summarize, I can play original HEVC with direct stream on my phones plex player. I can also direct stream cast to my chromecast ultra depending on which app I use, the old app works with HDR but the stream cuts out, the new app does not work with HDR but the stream does not cut out. Casting with my PC plex web behaves the same as the old app does, cuts out.

Thanks for the log file and for clarifying.

This is a problem with the Chromecast & android players as I first thought and not a Linux-specific issue.

I was reading some of the developers' comments yesterday about the app. They're currently working on what I think will correct this for you but I'm not 100% certain. They were discussing HEVC HDR and casting.

I'm going to relocate your thread to the android forum. I can only suggest you keep eyes open for the beta when available.

@ChuckPA said:
Thanks for the log file and for clarifying.

This is a problem with the Chromecast & android players as I first thought and not a Linux-specific issue.

I was reading some of the developers' comments yesterday about the app. They're currently working on what I think will correct this for you but I'm not 100% certain. They were discussing HEVC HDR and casting.

I'm going to relocate your thread to the android forum. I can only suggest you keep eyes open for the beta when available.

Only issue with the conclusion is that if I cast from the plex web app, the same thing happens (forgot about this when marking solution). It breaks after a few seconds. This leads me to believe that there could be something wrong with how the chromecast ultra is handled by plex.

Here are some logs when casting from plex web.

Okay so my friend who is connected to my plex server remotely tried playing the same movies but with the xplay app on his smart TV. He is able to play the same videos without them cutting out, in HDR. I'm 99% sure this is a chromecast ultra issue or cast issue.

Maybe this topic should be moved to the chromecast forums? And could you, @ChuckPA , unmark the response as accepted as I am now quite certain it is not the android app that makes this happen.

I am having the exact same issue, hevc hdr files, to chromecast ultra. Cuts out after a couple of seconds / a minute or 2. It doesnt stop casting, just "finishes" the movie, if i cast a tv show episode, it starts the countdown for the next episode as if you finished the one it interrupted.

I can replicate this issue with all my hevc files from both web app, and mobile app on android. The files play fine if i transcode it lower bitrate so that HDR doesnt enable. And they work fine at full bitrate in the webapp player.

I have tried restarting the server and factory resetting the chromecast. The chromecast is able to play 4k hdr content from other sites just fine.

I can only think that this is a plex -> chromecast issue.

@nordtorp95 said:
I am having the exact same issue, hevc hdr files, to chromecast ultra. Cuts out after a couple of seconds / a minute or 2. It doesnt stop casting, just "finishes" the movie, if i cast a tv show episode, it starts the countdown for the next episode as if you finished the one it interrupted.

I can replicate this issue with all my hevc files from both web app, and mobile app on android. The files play fine if i transcode it lower bitrate so that HDR doesnt enable. And they work fine at full bitrate in the webapp player.

I have tried restarting the server and factory resetting the chromecast. The chromecast is able to play 4k hdr content from other sites just fine.

I can only think that this is a plex -> chromecast issue.

Plex doesn't transcode 4K -> 4K

It will DirectPlay or DirectStream (convert the audio) but nothing more. If it has to change the container (e.g. MKV -> MP4) it won't do it.

I will need to see logs of a failure to determine if that's what is actually happening.

which one of the logs do you want? @ChuckPA

Difference in my case is that the video stops and in plex it is seen as paused or stopped. Apart from that it seems to be the same issue as yours. Only happens with the chromecast, and it does so while casting from both plex web and android so it is most probably not an android issue.

@ChuckPA could you be so kind and unmark the accepted answer as to not confuse the issue as solved. Maybe move it to the chromecast forum as well as it is no exclusive to the android app.

The best logs you can give me are done this way:

1. Verify VERBOSE logging is off (unchecked)
  2. Recreate the event/issue/problem. In this case, let it buffer twice
  3. Stop playback
  4. Wait 20-30 seconds for processes to exit and everything to get to the log files
  5. Settings - Server - Help - Download Logs
  6. Attach that ZIP file and the XML (hover -> get info - > View XML) here in one post.

Hi, i tried 3 different media, from both android app and web app. I have attached the logs and the xml for each file. @ChuckPA

I see what appear to be good playback sessions.

May I see, in isolation, the failed playback session?

Let it play until it faults. Stop playback (if needed). Wait 15 seconds for processes to clean up and logs to flush. Collect a new ZIP of the logs.

I am not versed in FreeNAS (which has been known to have issues but i don't know why)

This is what i did. I played the files until they stopped :/