Playback issues with dual TrueHD audio MKVs on Nvidia Shield TV

android-tv
fire-tv

I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this, so please move this to the right sub-forum if necessary.

I'm trying to play back a MKV with dual TrueHD audio streams in it and a video stream encoded with x264 high profile Level 4.1 (1080p, ~9Mbps) on my Nvidia Shield TV (2015, latest Experience Upgrade/Patch). One of these audio tracks has Atmos info in it, while the other is plain TrueHD without Atmos, both 7.1 Lossless.

As you might have guessed: I'm not able to get the playback started, at least not with bitstreaming and direct play on on the Shield TV (transcoding sure works).

As soon as I remove one of the TrueHD tracks, the playback starts just fine (no matter what track, they both work; tested both respectively). Even with one TrueHD track and one DTS track, playback with bitstreaming and direct play is fine and I can switch audio channels no problem.

But as soon as the second TrueHD track is in the file, playback wont start. The movie seems to start playing, but the time counter stays at 0:00 without video nor audio getting played back (allthough it says direct play in the upper left corner). If I jump to a chapter, it displays the first frame of that chapter, but won't start playing from there. It seems that the bitstreaming handover to the receiver fails with the second TrueHD track present.

I need to mention that the Plex Media Server seems to correctly recognise the file and provides all track information correctly in the UI, even with both TrueHD tracks in it. The file itself with both TrueHD tracks in it also plays fine on Windows with MPC-HC, so I guess the file itself is valid.

Is this a bug in Plex or is there any known limitation to what the Shield can handle regarding audio tracks and MKVs that could be the cause of this? Or maybe is dual-TrueHD not officially supported within MKVs?

Any hint would be appreciated.

Interesting - I have the same problem. At first I thought it had a different reason, but with every movie that has two TRUE-HD audio tracks, the player crashes. Others work like a charm. AndroidTV problem only?

See my other post here: TrueHD 24 Bit transcodes or Crashes on Shield TV (should Direct-Play)

NVIDIA SHIELD (2017) latest app & updates

Having the same issue. Tested a few files, removed the second TrueHD stream and they play fine now.

I'm having the same experiences with my Shield (2017), fully updated.

On a whim I tested with Emby. Emby has the same issue with dual TrueHD streams in mkv file. More than likely the issue is with the ShieldTV and not Plex.

But with KODI and the Plex AddOn it's working!

@stpbase said:

That's probably because KODI has its own player backend while PLEX and Emby use the default android player for playback. At least with Emby you can choose an external player for playback. Maybe this is worth a shot to pin down the issue. This option to choose an external player app once was included in PLEX too, but was removed for unknown reasons.

@kinoCharlino @ChuckPA Can you please help to find out if it's a PLEX, NVIDIA or ANDROID issue?

@stpbase said:
@kinoCharlino @ChuckPA Can you please help to find out if it's a PLEX, NVIDIA or ANDROID issue?
Can you provide a sample?

Sure. I just duplicated the audio track from this dolby test file.

sample: Dolby Channel Check

The first audio track starts because the clip is so short, but behaves strangely. It will fast-forward to 30s and then run normally. If the 2nd track is activated before starting or during playback, the player will crash.

@stpbase said:
Sure. I just duplicated the audio track from this dolby test file.

sample: Dolby Channel Check

The first audio track starts because the clip is so short, but behaves strangely. It will fast-forward to 30s and then run normally. If the 2nd track is activated before starting or during playback, the player will crash.
I am not able to replicate your issue. I tried starting with the 2nd lossless audio track and also switching to it during playback.

@Achilles Which app version do you have installed?

The latest beta which was released today.

Ahh okey - some other members wrote in the forums that this issue was fixed with the new beta.

It's most likely fixed in the new beta as we have a brand new player with lots of enhancements and fixes, this should be available in the normal release next week!

@Breit said:

@stpbase said:

That's probably because KODI has its own player backend while PLEX and Emby use the default android player for playback. At least with Emby you can choose an external player for playback. Maybe this is worth a shot to pin down the issue. This option to choose an external player app once was included in PLEX too, but was removed for unknown reasons.

We have never allowed an external player on Android TV. Our new player is on the level of KODI, VLC and MPV whilst still bringing the power of the Google player.

@sixones said:
It's most likely fixed in the new beta as we have a brand new player with lots of enhancements and fixes, this should be available in the normal release next week!
This is definitely good news. Thanks.
So it was a player issue then, not the server. Good to know. :smile:

We have never allowed an external player on Android TV. Our new player is on the level of KODI, VLC and MPV whilst still bringing the power of the Google player.

Even with the Plex plugin for KODI you have your own player backend and are not using whatever KODI uses to play back media? Didn't know that... :wink:

@Breit said:

@sixones said:
This is definitely good news. Thanks.
So it was a player issue then, not the server. Good to know. :smile:

Even with the Plex plugin for KODI you have your own player backend and are not using whatever KODI uses to play back media? Didn't know that... :wink:

Nope this was for Plex for Android TV, the KODI plugin uses the KODI player. I just meant our new player in the Android app is much more powerful and can handle as much as KODI or VLC!

I can confirm that with the new version (6.13) the issue is resolved. Good job with this new player.

Updated to 6.13.7.3458 on ShieldTV and the issue is happening again. MKV files with dual TrueHD audio are not playing. Status will show direct play, however no video is seen and no audio.

I'm having the same problem starting around 3 weeks ago.

-4K HDR Files are taking now lots of time to load
-Video will not be displayed in HDR on the tv
-Audio from Atmos gets modified to DD+
-In cases where i have 2 versions of the same movie (4k and 1080p 3D for example), if i select the 4K one, it would load and after some seconds switch to the 1080p version instead.

All these files up to 3 weeks ago were correctly playing, lunched smoothly, HDR + Atmos correctly processed.