Please Plex for all that is holy ...

roku

Do NOT update the UI on the Roku to the crap on Xbox One and others...

We were at a friends yesterday and my wife saw plex on a Roku and said its so much better than the xbox. She basically forced me to buy a Roku on the drive home to replace the 'impossible' xbox.

So, thanks to plex, I had to spend $100 to keep peace at my house. Good job.

@Tdawg410 said:

We were at a friends yesterday and my wife saw plex on a Roku and said its so much better than the xbox. She basically forced me to buy a Roku on the drive home to replace the 'impossible' xbox.

At least she didn't make you buy an AppleTV!!! For the record, I like my Ultra better than my Apple, both most current versions. I only wish the ROKU had the live TV record option like the Apple!

THAT is my biggest hope, that they get all the UI's consistent.

@Tdawg410 said:

I have a bad feeling that your Wife and a WHOLE BUNCH of 'Power Users' (Plex's Unwanted Soldiers - like you, me and your Wife) - are NOT going to be happy in the near future...

Once Plex starts making bad decisions, it's an unstoppable S***-Tsunami that rolls forward, no matter what users think. Plex doesn't design for Users. Plex designs for Plex. What Plex decides is good for you - you're gonna get. Period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHUGvde7KU

You guys do more bitching then my ex. I own a Roku, Pi, iPad, Fire TV, Android tablet and phone. I have almost no issues with my setup. My only remaining issue is on the Roku movies won't play for a user but will for another on same device. Weird!

@JuiceWSA it puzzles me why you even still use plex? a lot of post seems to be negativity towards plex

.> @"- Admin" said:

@JuiceWSA it puzzles me why you even still use plex? a lot of post seems to be negativity towards plex

You dam Skippy, Skippy.

Puzzled? Here, let me clear it up for you:

If Emby didn't suck so much, I'd be using it.
Plex Media Server is Great.
Plex can't develop apps - and most of them SUCK!
iF there was somewhere to go - I'd be there - there isn't - so I'm here.

To date Plex hasn't started banning people for being critical of Plex. Unfortunately for you, apparently.

Try this:
Add me to your 'ignore' list.
or
Deal with me the same way Plex does - by ignoring me and thousand of other users with similar opinions.
I'm not going anywhere - so I advise you do the best you can.
Good Luck.

@DJ-BrianC said:
You guys do more bitching then my ex.

Was your Ex critical of Plex?
If so, I'd probably like her...

B)

@JuiceWSA said:
To date Plex hasn't started banning people for being critical of Plex. Unfortunately for you, apparently.

Do NOT give Plex any ideas. My psyche could be permanently damaged by a banning.

If you persist in giving Plex these kind of ideas you could be personally responsible for driving an old man to excessive drinking due to depression.

My future mental health is now in your hands.

Elijah andJuiceWSA are critical because they are in the group considered "power users" and suggestion/comments constantly get ignored by plex because Plex tries to tailor it to the non power users. Even when plex had Elijah join a special event they took nothing to heart and it ended up being a waste of time and he stopped going. If you want to know more of why people are critical towards plex (even though everyone still loves plex because nothing better exists), it is because even people who join the beta/preview give suggestion and ideas it is constantly ignored. Worse yet, when people report bugs in the preview /beta and then within a week plex releases the version to everyone on the roku it makes us question why the beta app even exists. Then the normal users get affected and family comes to us asking why things are broke. The true best example I have seen of what makes me question Plex choices is when the newer roku app was released without search. So many forum threads about searching missing and less than one week later search was added (why plex did not just delay the release one week to avoid a lot of confusion?) Ultimately we all want plex to succeed and avoid going the route of some of the other devices.
To me, I love plex but I really do not like each platform getting features at different times. Makes it very confusing and hard to pick a box. Back in the days it would be the roku that would get everything first, but now that seems to have changed to android/ios. I would just prefer they fix up as many of the apps at once and release the change for feature parity. You do not see Netflix releasing a feature to only a particular device first (users can opt in to get newer features first). One feature each of us asked for during the roku redesign was to customize the hubs (hide/show certain ones, move them around etc). That feature JUST came to android meanwhile still does not exist for roku even though roku had the big design change I think over 2+years. One thing to remember is the GUI is the one thing that people will always complain about when being changed and like the old way. Eventually people get used to it and it quiets down but some still will always prefer the old way. Sometimes the old way was more efficient (less clicks) but to the developers that does not matter (shiny and pretty are more important).

@Elijah_Baley said:
If you persist in giving Plex these kind of ideas you could be personally responsible for driving an old man to excessive drinking due to depression.

I got pretty depressed when I stopped drinking - but a banning might be the thing I need to get me off that boring, joyless wagon that just never seems to be going anywhere I want to go...

B)

My issue is very simple. Every time a new UI is released it eliminates or breaks features that worked perfectly fine in the previous one. IMO, this is not a power user issue.

Take FF and RWD for example.... Perfect on Xbox in October, now it doesn't exist. How can a supposedly top tier media solution not have a normal fast forward??

Navigation is one thing but feature set is another. It's pretty simple to get used to a new method of navigation, eveif it is more difficult or takes many more clicks, but eliminating or breaking commonly used features is ridiculous.