Plex - 4K TV Limitations

smart-tv

My question is basically about sending 4K movies from my computer to my samsung 4K TV.
Currently I am running a 2009 MacPro. It has one hard drive that contains all the media. The connection I have running through the house is ethernet over powerline. When trying to watch 4K movies on my Samsung TV, you do get the occasional pause, where would that limitation be? It's set for direct play. Would it be the network itself and the large file that has to be sent to the TV. Is the mac struggling to send the file to the TV, is the TV unable to handle such a big file. Any help would be great.

Thanks

So i myself have a Samsung 4k TV. The limitation is in the OS layer of the TV. Try using a player with a broader scope of 4k support. The undisputed champion currently is the Nvidia Shield (Which when i switched to, ALL 4k problems went away sans 7.1 audio)

They dont sell the nvidia shield here in Australia. What about my Samsung 4K blu-ray player? Or that too would still be limited? ill have to look online to see if i can get an nvidia shield

@theforceunleashed said:
They dont sell the nvidia shield here in Australia. What about my Samsung 4K blu-ray player? Or that too would still be limited? ill have to look online to see if i can get an nvidia shield

You will find many choices for the Consul at the following address.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xnvida+shield.TRS0&_nkw=nvida+shield&_sacat=0

Does it work without skipping here on 4k hevc hdr movies for anyone here using wireless like 802.11ac? I ask because they do skip using 100mbps ethernet on the ks8000 here (sometimes I can play 30+ minutes without skipping but eventually it does). My wifi router is a bit old and far from the tv so I was considering getting a new wifi router for that room because I read somewhere that the throughput is better over wifi. I ripped Life of Pi and it plays like 30 minutes or so then just randomly is freezing up. Using a usb stick with the native video player it plays perfectly fine. Kingsman The Golden Circle played all the way through on plex with a few minor hiccups but almost everything else gets random freezing for many seconds presumably because it can't keep up with the video bitrate over the network?

If your considering Wifi, I would do my homework. The best solution I know of for WiFi is Orbi. There maybe others that compare.

http://www.netgear.com/orbi/

http://www.netgear.com/orbi/performance.aspx

http://www.netgear.com/orbi/systems.aspx

I'm just looking for confirmation that Plex plays 4k uhd rips with the (presumably) higher throughput on the wifi than wired. I don't need mesh wifi since I already have gigabit ethernet throughout the house - only need to set up a second wireless access point with its own gigabit wired connection

Depends, most Samsung tvs use a 100mb Ethernet port. My Wi-Fi on the 5ghz channel goes beyond that, so with the right equipment Wi-Fi is better from router to tv

@SE56 said:
If your considering Wifi, I would do my homework. The best solution I know of for WiFi is Orbi. There maybe others that compare.

http://www.netgear.com/orbi/

http://www.netgear.com/orbi/performance.aspx

http://www.netgear.com/orbi/systems.aspx

How does that compare to ubiquity? Hard to beat their product IMO.

@theforceunleashed said:

You can import into Australia through Amazon. I did this, works with 4k flawlessly. No transcode, audio pass through.

ok so I got a new 802.11ac router that connects at between 500-800mbps speed on the KS8000. I don't know what its actual throughput is but it should eliminate raw network speed as the problem. In testing on pc some movies were using slightly more than 100mbps but I don't know if that's because it was streaming the entire file when watching on pc (i.e. every audio track). I'm still having some problems on some files with Plex on the KS8000 so it seems there are several issues identified by the forum and maybe others I'm unaware of.

a) the tv/plex client dealing with either specific audio formats like dca (dts) or plex dealing with all the audio tracks bundled into the file. Instead of doing a full rip off my blu-ray on some movies I did a rip of just the video and a single dolby audio track which fixed the problem with stuttering in a few movies. Some people blamed this on dts (dca). I'll try to make a bunch of rips this week to figure out if it's something that specific

b) plex having issues streaming large files in direct play leading to stuttering that is not entirely the blame of the interface speed of the client. It's not easy to determine where to assign fault when buffering problems occur because SmartTV aren't open platforms

c) bad rips. I tried some rips other people made which had serious problems on playback even when playing back on a usb stick. In several cases I ripped the blu-ray myself with makemkv and it worked fine (haven't disentangled enough from the audio issue yet since re-ripping 15 blu-rays is going to take hours)

d) 60mbps limit on native hevc codec playback on KS8000 and some other Samsung TV. It seems like the movies that work best are 45-50mbps video. I have a couple that are 60-61 that have artifacts and/or stuttering. Where it's a hardware playback problem the only solution is to get a different player or just go back to the blu-ray player. Considering I just spent $300 on a new wireless router and only have 15 UHD blu-rays I'd rather not spend another $200 on an Nvidia Shield especially when it's unclear how good the video quality will be compared to the OPPO blu-ray player I have in another room or the native Plex client

Direct stream quality will be direct stream quality period. What you are paying for is codec support honestly. If it is Direct playing or direct streaming, codec is not your problem, its probably network. If it is, then its its your platform codec support.

@quidnunc76

@slansi said:
Depends, most Samsung tvs use a 100mb Ethernet port. My Wi-Fi on the 5ghz channel goes beyond that, so with the right equipment Wi-Fi is better from router to tv

WiFi is never the better option for streaming due to the way the collision avoidance is used for sending the data packets. The network overhead is massive compared to wired which uses collision detection. You want solid throughput for streaming which WiFi cannot deliver no matter how fast the manufacturers claim the speeds are.

I'd be running your setup wired while your testing to eliminate the inherent wifi issues which could send you down the wrong road. Once you have that sorted switch back to wifi if you must and see if it can sustain the throughput required.

sure the actual throughput is lower than the advertised 585-866.7 mbps I get on 802.11ac now but its larger than 100mbps which seems important for some 4k movies. I have had few buffering problems now that I am using the 802.11ac wifi on my ks8000 (from about 10 feet distance). I have had a few connection dropouts on wifi but it's better than the constant buffering problems I had on 100mbps ethernet.

@quidnunc said:
sure the actual throughput is lower than the advertised 585-866.7 mbps I get on 802.11ac now but its larger than 100mbps which seems important for some 4k movies. I have had few buffering problems now that I am using the 802.11ac wifi on my ks8000 (from about 10 feet distance). I have had a few connection dropouts on wifi but it's better than the constant buffering problems I had on 100mbps ethernet.

Wait, how did you get such high speeds on the KS tv? I got lost there.

802.11ac Wifi has a much higher theoretical speed(166MB/sec) than the TV's Ethernet speed 100Mbs or 12.5MB/s. The emphasis "Theoretical".

Corrected.

@SE56 Just to clarify your statements... Fast-Ethernet has a 100Mbps speed not MBps. That is 12.5MBps. As well as 802.11ac, although having a theoretical 1.3Gbps, is much more correlated to WiFi factors such as:
* Wavelength Frequency congestion
* DRS Capable frequency devices
* Distance from AC Antenna
* AC Antenna directional output
* Objects/Walls that cause interference between AC Antenna and device in question
* Collisions

These are easy to diagnose with a phone, and a WiFi analyzer app.

As a network connection I'm using ethernet over powerline adaptors. I've used these for many years, I find they are quicker than using wifi. Most of my movies are 1080p, I do have some 4K movies, most of the time they play ok, but do get some pauses now and then. Also sometimes the samsung TV fails to change to DD or DTS, or sometimes even doesn't play sound, and I have to switch the ARC off then back on to get it work. So I think i'll just get an Nvidia Shield. So then i'll have that, my cable tv and blu-ray connected directly to my receiver rather than using the smart tv apps for netflix and plex etc.

This may sound like a dumb question, but with the Nvidia Shield, it is listed as a media server. Would it still play as a media player? All my movies are stored on dedicated hard drive on my 2009 mac pro. So i'd prefer to keep them on there.
Or would it be better to just take that drive out and plug it directly into the nvida shield? but still I'd prefer to leave them on the mac.

It can be both. I use it solely as a robust player.