Plex Android App not displaying media Images (can stream fine)

android-mobile

On same LAN (wifi) with PMS. Desktop can stream and see images as expected. Even remote users can see images (via Roku)
However, with my android device, I can stream media just fine but none of the media images appear. Not in the homepage, library, or title views.

I can temporarily fix by uninstalling and reinstalling the app. On the FIRST app launch after sign in, I can see media images, but after closing and reopening the app, they are no longer there.
I’ve been able to reproduce this every time by uninstall / reinstall / open / close / open.

Nexus 6p
Android 8.0.0
PMS 1.10.1.4602
Android App 6.11.3.3147

Holy image size Batman, haha
Also this has only been an issue this past week. I have been using Plex on this device for months prior.

Did you possibly run out of storage on your device?

@"MovieFan.Plex" said:
Did you possibly run out of storage on your device?

No, It is only at 60% used (12.7GB remaining)
That was a good thought though.

The posters are retrieved from PMS and saved locally. It sounds like the app is correctly caching these images as they come from PMS after a clean install, but somehow they are not not getting saved correctly, so the next time you use the app, it retrieves the images locally but has trouble with these files. Why this is happening, I don't know. Is there anything special about your phone?

@"MovieFan.Plex" said:
The posters are retrieved from PMS and saved locally. It sounds like the app is correctly caching these images as they come from PMS after a clean install, but somehow they are not not getting saved correctly, so the next time you use the app, it retrieves the images locally but has trouble with these files. Why this is happening, I don't know. Is there anything special about your phone?

No. It is a stock Nexus 6P that has never been rooted or flashed or anything....

That's interesting, when I do a fresh install and can see the images, as I move to different areas I can see as the images are loading, being fetched from the PMS. I can change libraries and return and the images are still there.

But once I close and reopen the app no images are present. Not the ones I just saw/fetched, and when navigating to a new area or library, no new images appear to be fetched either.

Odd. I'm reluctant to factory default this device, but I might have to eventually to see if that helps... :neutral:

i am seeing the exact same issue on two FireTV devices (separate networks)… :frowning: any solution to this problem?

Update: I ended up doing a Factory Reset on this device (Nexus 6P) to stock settings and am having the same issue…

Plex app works as expected after fresh install. Posters are retrieved from the PMS and can see new posters getting retrieved when scrolling around.
I can focus another phone app and return with no change, all is well.
But, as soon as I close the app and reopen, I cannot see ANY posters (old / new) even when navigating to a new area (library).

My android OS updated after the reset, so now I am on

Android: 8.1.0
PMS: 1.10.1.4602
Plex App: 6.12.0.3239

Used Storage reduced to 33% (21.5GB remaining)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! :smiley:

Can you provide me the log from the app? Just open the app, wait for the posters to show as blank. Go into 1 library and wait for the blank posters, then go back to Home then settings and get the logs.

Edit - Then get the logs from PMS.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:
Can you provide me the log from the app? Just open the app, wait for the posters to show as blank. Go into 1 library and wait for the blank posters, then go back to Home then settings and get the logs.

Edit - Then get the logs from PMS.

Here are the logs after a fresh install and performing the tasks as you described. Thanks!

Just as a baseline I have just about the same setup with Nexus 6P

PMS 1.11.0.4666
Android: 8.1.0
Plex App: 6.12.0.3239

And am not experiencing that myself.

I have also had every version leading up to that PMS version as well and haven’t seen that.

I know I am no help…

Yeah this was a sudden change. Posters showed for months on this device prior.
Was racking my brain trying to think of anything I changed. On PMS, my network, or my phone, but cannot come up with anything.
I was almost thinking maybe this phones storage is starting to corrupt? But I have not noticed any other issues with any other apps. :neutral:

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I also need the log from the app after performing those steps.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I also need the log from the app after performing those steps.

Derp, my bad lol

I reinstalled and performed the steps again. Here are the logs from the app and PMS :smile:

Note: This occurs on LAN and remote similarly. This current test was remote.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:

how can i help you with this? Problem still occurs on FireTV devices.

Browser + Windows Plex Media Player are not affected, apparently only Android Clients

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:

I think i found the culprit: http2

Disabling http2 in the reverse proxy configuration seems to fix this issue. Is the Android Plex Client using a particular old okhttp version?

I don’t know about http2, but Plex does not officially support using a reverse proxy so YMMV when doing so. I’ve seen other reports when using a reverse proxy. This is the first I’ve seen of it affecting only the images.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:
I don’t know about http2, but Plex does not officially support using a reverse proxy so YMMV when doing so. I’ve seen other reports when using a reverse proxy. This is the first I’ve seen of it affecting only the images.

Well - it started with one of the last releases of the Android Plex client. Also seen by other users , see:

I can confirm this an my android phone as well as on two FireTV devices. Once i disable http2 in the nginx reverse proxy, images are loaded.

If you need additional information i am happy to help , plex is awesome B)

I am not using a proxy or reverse proxy. On my device or on my network. I use VLANs, but tested on a flat network with no luck.
I don’t really use a picture library much, though I do have one. I navigated there… also no images.