Plex app crashing on iPhone when i play synced movies on the Roku

ios

This discussion was created from comments split from: Plex seems to have gotten unstable for me over the past couple months.

Howdy! I recently started syncing some movies from my server down to my iPhone. I will, then, play from my iPhone to my Roku on my TV. Unfortunately, I am plagued with Plex app crashes on my phone. When I play locally on the phone, everything works fine. When, however, I am playing to a device, the app crashes.

iPhone: 7 Plus running latest updates
App: 4.22
Latest release of PMS

@deodra said:
Howdy! I recently started syncing some movies from my server down to my iPhone. I will, then, play from my iPhone to my Roku on my TV. Unfortunately, I am plagued with Plex app crashes on my phone. When I play locally on the phone, everything works fine. When, however, I am playing to a device, the app crashes.

Latest release of PMS

I am going to move your post to the Plex for iOS app forum as you are saying it is the app that is crashing and not the server

@deodra said:

Latest release of PMS

I moved your post to the iOS forum.

Please could you get the Plex for iOS app logs after next crash
See this support article https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593-iOS-Logs
The section covering Emailing the device logs.
Email to yourself and then attach the zip here
plus indication of what time the crash arose and what was it that you played to the roku

@sa2000 said:

@deodra said:

Latest release of PMS

See this support article https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593-iOS-Logs
plus indication of what time the crash arose and what was it that you played to the roku

I have the same issue. As of this post I am using the most current Plex App and server (beta). I have an iPad Pro 12.9 (2017) and whenever I stream or cast from the iOS app to any other device (iOS, Roku, windows etc.) the Plex app on my iPad crashes. The crash has occurred through at least two iOS updates and Plex app updates. I am running iOS 11.2.5 beta. I have attached the logs from immediately after the crash on the iOS app.

@Ravel36 said:

@sa2000 said:

@deodra said:

Latest release of PMS

I have the same issue. As of this post I am using the most current Plex App and server (beta). I have an iPad Pro 12.9 (2017) and whenever I stream or cast from the iOS app to any other device (iOS, Roku, windows etc.) the Plex app on my iPad crashes. The crash has occurred through at least two iOS updates and Plex app updates. I am running iOS 11.2.5 beta. I have attached the logs from immediately after the crash on the iOS app.

Looking at the logs - but it would have helped to say what time the crash was and to what device you were casting to
IP Address ? Device name ?

ok you said immediately after the crash - so checking end of log

Thanks for reporting! We think the issue could be related to the new versions of the internal Plex Media Server we have inside the iOS app.

If we’re right, it wouldn’t be a bug in our code per se, but an incorrect parameter set in compilation, and that change happened in the last 2-3 months :confounded: We’re still not 100% sure of this, so we’ll keep testing.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

@Ravel36

We have not been able to find any crash reports uploaded for the times when the logs suggested it may have crashed.
Logs had gaps in time at these times
7th January - 19:14:32, 19:37:36 and 19:38:50

Could you check if there are still crash logs on the device itself in IOS
Have a look at this support article https://support.plex.tv/articles/201636593-ios-logs/
and look at section headed Crash Logs from iOS

This recent attempt to stream happened at 7:35est today. I was attempting to stream from my iphone x to my Lenovo Yoga with windows store plex app. These logs were uploaded immediately after the crash from the iPhone X.

@Ravel36 said:
This recent attempt to stream happened at 7:35est today. I was attempting to stream from my iphone x to my Lenovo Yoga with windows store plex app. These logs were uploaded immediately after the crash from the iPhone X.

Did you look for any iOS captured diagnostic reports for the Plex crash?

See Crash Logs from iOS on this support article https://support.plex.tv/articles/201636593-ios-logs/

Could you tell exactly what you saw / happened and what do you mean by crash