PLEX as DLNA Control Point

server-dlna

Hi elan,

any signal which keeps me hoping?

Any Updates?

Still in the consideration state, or One step further?

Any info would be great...

Tank you!

I'm actually developing something like this for the WP8. The only feature I'm missing is the a way to determinate the capabilities of the mediarenderer and someway of gettig Plex to transcode if necessary.

I'll support this feature request as well :)

As the OP I have PMS running on a DS713+ and browsing it with my Ipad / iphone to pick up the movie.

As of now i have to switch to another Ipad app to have the renderer functionnality with the DLNA onto the TV.

Having the DLNA renderer added into the plex players window would be indeed a Killer feature !

Would be sweet to have some feedback to see if this is somewhere into plex roadmap :)

Actually I just bought the iOS app for the sole purpose of controlling my WDTV Live, only to find out PMS does not support DLNA control <_<

Meanwhile Windows features 'Play to' for ages, right? :P

Oh well, won't get a refund anyhow, so count me in for this request B)

[quote name='myhtpc' timestamp='1338822993' post='269029']

Having PLEX as Control Point, I would be able to search and navigate my movies via my iPad or Android Tablet on my couch and then direct my DLNA TV to play it => killer Feature!!!

[/quote]

I found this out by accident. I just bought a Denon AV Receiver (Denon AVR 1713) which is connected to my WIFI network where my PMS and my LG Smart TV also reside. I went to download this App for my Iphone https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/denon-remote-app/id388608880?mt=8

and found out that I can access my Plex server and Airplay the contents directly to my LG TV.

Is this the same feature requested here?

I also have Plex App on my Iphone which i used to Airplay to my TV via an ATV-2. Not sure if I can Airplay directly to the LG TV without going through the ATV though.

no, this isn't the same. All you refer is Airplay which is a proprietary transport-channel for iOS compatible devices. We refer to DLNA which is an open protocol which would allow using our PLEX clients (and their nive navigation interface;-) to browse and search modia on our PMS (or PMS channels) and then choose on which DLNA renderer (e.g. AV-reciver for music, TV for movies or Beamer for pictures) the media should beplayed. And this without having to use a vendor-specific app like your DENON's one

Ok I see what the requested feature is about now and support this request. I think it's reasonable considering I paid for the App both on my iOS and my Android (TF Prime).

Played around with the Denon App again and found it was faulty and can not play most videos files from my library.

waiting patiently for the next release :P

[quote name='NoS' timestamp='1359463072' post='347139']

Ok I see what the requested feature is about now and support this request. I think it's reasonable considering I paid for the App both on my iOS and my Android (TF Prime).

Played around with the Denon App again and found it was faulty and can not play most videos files from my library.

waiting patiently for the next release :P

[/quote]

Do you mean functionality like 'BubbleUPNP' (Android / Windows app) ?

This would indeed be great! IMO PMS' DLNA isn't entirely feature complete, but i'm confident that it will be soon. Does the Plex team work with a product backlog or something? I'm rather curious about the PMS teams priorities. Just curious because their added 'bussiness value' in every increment is awesome :)

Yep, BubbleUPNP is the kind of analogy, except, that we have just PMS on the sever side and a great UI (Plex clients) to navigate, find and select th media;-)

[quote name='myhtpc' timestamp='1359476537' post='347213']

Yep, BubbleUPNP is the kind of analogy, except, that we have just PMS on the sever side and a great UI (Plex clients) to navigate, find and select th media;-)

[/quote]

Ahhh yeah, that would be awesome indeed!

Been directed to this post as my post had been requesting the same feature.

Would very much like this feature to be added and would buy clients across all my devices if they supported it.

I'm new to Plex and I too need this feature. 

craving for this feature!

Hi,

still no news on that feature? It´s already implemented in the ds video app of the synology. Plex, it´s your turn...

I'd love this too. My TV supports Netflix and YouTube directly, so I can use my iPad to navigate those apps and then 'throw' the video to my TV. It also has DLNA and can play from a plex server, but browsing on the TV sucks. Plex would be the final piece in my jigsaw - letting me use my iPad to access all my media without needing to switch inputs on my TV. I'd probably buy an iPad mini just to dedicate to that.

One more client waiting for this feature.

I tried a couple of android dlna controllers last night (including BubbleUPnP) to browse PMS and stream to my tv. While they did what I bought them for, I found them clunky and kept looking. I then bought Plex and spent a substantial amount of time browsing through my content and really enjoying the experience. The UI is very slick and attractive and I thought I had finally found what I was looking for. Then I tried to play something on my tv (what I bought it for)...

As it stands, the application looks better than all of the others I have looked at, but can't do the one thing that I require to actually make use of it. So I will put it aside. If I don't find something else, I might keep checking to see whether this feature has been added. Until then, it is of no practical use to me.

I tried a couple of android dlna controllers last night (including BubbleUPnP) to browse PMS and stream to my tv. While they did what I bought them for, I found them clunky and kept looking. I then bought Plex and spent a substantial amount of time browsing through my content and really enjoying the experience. The UI is very slick and attractive and I thought I had finally found what I was looking for. Then I tried to play something on my tv (what I bought it for)...

As it stands, the application looks better than all of the others I have looked at, but can't do the one thing that I require to actually make use of it. So I will put it aside. If I don't find something else, I might keep checking to see whether this feature has been added. Until then, it is of no practical use to me.

What's the status of these features?

I really would like to see "DLNA/UPnP Control Point" functionality in the Web Interface of Plex Media Server (especially the Linux versions which I use myself)

I have installed Plex Media Server on my Linux notebook and would like to use the Web interface that comes with Plex Media Server to be able to stream music to my "DLNA/UPnP Renderer" (Myro Air)

That would be the perfect solution, the web interface that comes with Plex Media Server is so great to play music, but without "DLNA/UPnP Control Point" functionality I can only play this music locally through my notebook speakers.

Please make this possible soon, that would make Plex near perfect :D

DLNA/UPnP Render functionality in Plex would also be great!