Plex cast network port

server-linux

It seems that FAQ network port list is incomplete.
I opened all mentioned ports in the ubuntu firewall but still get 'No Players Found' from the plex cast menu. If I disable the ufw this feature is working fine and showing all players.
Did anyone figure out which port is used for that?

The list is complete.

Do you have ufw configured to block SSDP UDP packet replies?

Of particular point are the multicast group replies (Server sends out the GDM packet on UDP, Players reply)

I configured the ufw for multicast like that:

sudo ufw allow out proto udp to 224.0.0.0/4
sudo ufw allow in proto udp to 224.0.0.0/4

That doesn't look right.

Your netmask should be 240.0.0.0/4 which allows the 224.0.0.1 -> 239.255.255.254 network

If I change the netmasks to 240.0.0.0/4 I still get 'No Players Found' :neutral:
Is there anything else I have to configure?

May I ask why your server, on your internal LAN, protected by your modem/router's firewall, is also running a firewall?

I am getting the feeling something in your network configuration is 'too tight'. Without seeing your entire UFW config, I can't speak definitively.

Sure. As I want to connect to the server remotely I configured a DDNS service. Without firewall this would be an open door into my home network.

I only opened ssh, nfs and plex media server ports. This is my dump of sudo ufw status:

To                         Action      From
--                         ------      ----
4454/tcp                   ALLOW       Anywhere                   # ssh
32400/tcp                  ALLOW       Anywhere                   # plex media server
111                        ALLOW       Anywhere                   # nfs
2049                       ALLOW       Anywhere                   # nfs
32410/udp                  ALLOW       Anywhere                   # plex gdm network discovery
32412/udp                  ALLOW       Anywhere                   # plex gdm network discovery
32413/udp                  ALLOW       Anywhere                   # plex gdm network discovery
32414/udp                  ALLOW       Anywhere                   # plex gdm network discovery
3005/tcp                   ALLOW       Anywhere                   # plex companion
5353/udp                   ALLOW       Anywhere                   # plex bonjour network discovery
1900/tcp                   ALLOW       Anywhere                   # plex dlna
240.0.0.0/4/udp            ALLOW       Anywhere                   # multicast
8324/tcp                   ALLOW       Anywhere                   # plex companion
32469/tcp                  ALLOW       Anywhere                   # plex dlna
4454/tcp (v6)              ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # ssh
32400/tcp (v6)             ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # plex media server
111 (v6)                   ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # nfs
2049 (v6)                  ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # nfs
32410/udp (v6)             ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # plex gdm network discovery
32412/udp (v6)             ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # plex gdm network discovery
32413/udp (v6)             ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # plex gdm network discovery
32414/udp (v6)             ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # plex gdm network discovery
3005/tcp (v6)              ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # plex companion
5353/udp (v6)              ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # plex bonjour network discovery
1900/tcp (v6)              ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # plex dlna
8324/tcp (v6)              ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # plex companion
32469/tcp (v6)             ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)              # plex dlna

240.0.0.0/4/udp            ALLOW OUT   Anywhere                   # multicast

Let's be pragmatic.

1. The DDNS is fine if it points to your WAN IP
  2. In the external firewall / router / modem, port forward only 32400 TCP to the static IP of your PMS server. There is no need for a second layer of firewall if the modem/router firewall is doing what it's supposed to do. That's why it's there and providing the NAT layer.
  3. Dump all the Plex IPv6 unless you require it on the LAN. None of the Plex servers in the world respond to it.

;) Okay, I accept that answer :)
The router firewall is working fine, so there should not be any security issues as you said. Nevertheless it would be interesting to update the ports FAQ with multicast for those guys who need a firewall^^