Plex doesn't recognize 3D MVC stream

samsung-smart-hub

Hi all,

I know the topic has been discussed many times, but I still have hope to make plex an ideal home theater solution. Any contribution is very welcome!

My setup:

Server(Version 1.10.1.4602): Synology DS718+

Client Samsung Smart TV App (Version 1.019): Samsung UE55D8000 (2011)
TV 3D Support: Yes

Everything is connected via 1Gbit/s Lan network.

Video Example: ISO image of Spiderman Homecoming.

The TV does support 3D and works fine with PowerDVD. I can watch all my iso mvc images.
Following the multiple instructions on this forum, I converted the iso file with mvc stream into mkv, and then into m2ts file.

When I connect an HDD with the m2ts file to the TV, and open it on the TV, it automatically recognizes and starts the movie in 3d mode. Great.

Now when I put the same file to the plex server, index it, and try to run it through plex, TV doesn't recognize the 3D, and shows only 2D, regardless of whether the file name has 3D-MVC or not.

To recap, the TV supports and is able to play the 3d mvc m2ts file, the plex app on the TV states that it supports 3d,
but I can't get it to work through Plex.

Is there anything else I could do to enable Plex to do it?

3D-MVC isn’t officially supported, there are too many formats that do not work correctly on Samsung,
I just added support for that tag, because that “might” work on some models.

I don’t think D models support MVC in hardware. When you use PowerDVD, it’s the software doing the decoding not the TV.

Hi Orca,

Thank you for your answer!

I get that there is no official support. I’m just trying to answer the question, if it could actually work on my setup. And all pieces of the puzzle don’t seem to refute that it could.

I believe they do support it, at least my model. The reason I think so, is that the TV was able to correctly open the 3d mvc m2ts file from an external hdd drive directly connected to it. Let me know if my conclusion here is wrong.