Another round of bug fixes & performance improvements! We updated our crash reporting tools in the previous update & have been getting lots of juicy information about real-world problems. Among the fixes in this version are:
- Fixed a potential crash when loading paged content.
- Fixed a potential crash when saving the currently selected filter.
- Updated auto-discovery code to use more modern techniques & eliminate a very common crash.
- Improved reliability of sync item creation.
- Greatly improved responsiveness when scrolling, particularly on iPad.
- Additional optimizations for paged content loading.
- Fixed media flags not displaying immediately when opening detail views.
- Fixed an occasional crash when dismissing detail views.
- Changed the overscan compensation mode for TV Out.
- Improved compatibility with newer iOS versions.
We’re pleased to bring you a brand new release of the iOS app today! Most notably you’ll see we’ve updated the icon, splash screen, and the UI for iOS 7. Baby steps, mind you, we have lots more user interface improvements coming, but at least Plex will look nicely at home on iOS 7 now.
We’ll be back very shortly with more iOS news, but for now, hopefully you’ll enjoy this release!
- NEW: New look for iOS 7.
- NEW: Detect URLs on the clipboard for quick queuing to myPlex.
- NEW: Brand new video player.
- NEW: Improved music player.
- FIX: A UI hang when changing connectivity settings.
- FIX: A nasty bug where entering sections with non-latin characters could crash the app.
- FIX: Another UI hang when canceling and backing out of a library.
- FIX: Synced content could sometimes appear mistakingly in Shared Libraries.
- FIX: Synced content could become unplayable after being reconverted by the media server.
- FIX: An issue flinging some video content to iOS.
- FIX: Attempting to play trailers from the home screen would crash the app.
- Improved compatibility with iOS 8.
- Removed a duplicated "Unwatched" filter from TV libraries, one of which caused severe performance issues.
- Playlists from other servers are no longer visible when adding items to playlists.
- A more modern transcoder is now used for music playback.
- The Google Chromecast software has been updated to the latest available version.
- Fixed potential crashes when using Camera Upload on iOS 8.
- Fixed a crash when attempting to play multiple videos using AirPlay.
- Fixed some iPad popover display issues on iOS 8.
- Fixed video playback from the Watch Later queue & Recommendations not starting with the selected video.
- Fixed libraries not scrolling all the way to the bottom.
- Fixed a visual glitch when changing the volume during video playback on iPhones and iPods running iOS 8.
- Additional minor bug fixes.
Version 4.0 - Blog Post: Our shiny new iOS app!
Rewritten from the ground up, this new version of our iOS app takes your Plex experience to the next level!
- We've completely redesigned the app, both visually and structurally. It's easier than ever to navigate your libraries & find something to play, and the new discovery features help you get to the content you're most likely to want. You can continue browsing during playback and use the new mini player to see and control what's currently playing. We've also added support for more recent media server improvements like extras, related content, and our awesome new music features. All of this great functionality is presented with our beautiful new visual style - it's fast, fluid and fun.
- The new single-server UI matches other modern Plex apps. All servers are treated equally, whether they belong to you, or have been shared with you by someone else.
- Our brand new audio player is much faster when loading or seeking, and switches seamlessly between cellular & wifi networks without interrupting playback. We're also well on our way to gapless playback support (it's close, but not quite perfect yet).
- The video player has been enhanced with the addition of chapter selection and the ability to choose audio streams, subtitles, and video quality during playback.
- There are many, many improvements to Mobile Sync. Playlists can now be synced, incremental syncs are super fast, and background downloads mean you no longer need to leave the app open for a sync to complete. We took the core of the Plex Media Server, shrank it down and embedded it within the iOS app, so your synced content will now benefit from all the rich browsing, discovery and playback features it provides.
- You can browse your camera roll, and fling your photos and videos to other Plex players.
- Multi-user households, rejoice! The app now supports Plex Home, including managed users.
- There's also support for secure connections to Plex Media Server. When you see the green padlock badge next to your server, your connection is fully encrypted.
We'd like to thank you all for being so patient with the lack of updates in recent months - we hope you think it was worth the wait! We're extremely proud of the work we've done here, and are thrilled to be able to share it with you at last.
Please refer to the following Plex for iOS sections of our support site for access to documentation and frequently asked questions:
- The home screen includes a new "Browse" tab for fast access to libraries, playlists, and channels.
- The artist screen has been updated, bringing albums closer to the top and showing popular tracks, tour dates, and links to similar artists.
- Libraries can now be viewed as a list in addition to the current grid view.
- Added the ability to browse libraries by folder.
- Playback of mono audio has been fixed.
- Video no longer starts minimized if the mini player is open.
- Filters & sorts are now correctly remembered for each library section.
- Pre-play screens take less time to load, especially when connected to a low-power server.
- Sign in issues with passwords containing special characters have been resolved.
- The display of photo albums within libraries has been fixed. Libraries are no longer displayed as a flat list, but correctly follow the folder hierarchy.
- The Step Back time has been changed from 30 seconds to 10.
- The "Unwatched" filter for TV libraries now correctly displays shows where any episodes are unwatched. Previously, only shows where all episodes are unwatched would be displayed.
- An AirPlay button has been added to the player selection menu.
- Synced videos now have louder audio (this fix will only affect content synced to your device in the future).
- The friends list now updates correctly when switching users.
- The app can successfully connect to other iOS devices and access shared content.
- Editing sync items always showed the policy as "All media", even when only unwatched media was selected.
- Video continues to play on the device when using AirPlay speakers, rather than switching to the Apple TV AirPlay screen.
- Many accessibility fixes have been made for users with VoiceOver enabled. We will continue to make improvements in this area.
- The app can be launched using the plexapp:// URL scheme again.
- Various stability issues have been resolved, including a crash when attempting to select or paste text on iPad.
FIXES REQUIRING PLEX MEDIA SERVER 0.9.12.9 (or newer):
- An issue preventing various audio & video formats from direct playing has been resolved. This fixes playback for many low-power NAS devices.
- Confirmation message before marking shows and seasons as (un)watched.
- Fixed a frequent crash while listening to music (memory leak!)
- When playing music on iPhone 4S the on-screen buttons no longer overlap each other.
- Fixed issue where no confirmation was shown after activating the app.
- Home video libraries now no longer show huge gaps between the videos.
- Images no longer flickering in most cases.
- All synced content is no longer deleted when the Plex cloud is down.
- All synced content is no longer deleted when you’re syncing from multiple servers and all content from any server is deleted.
- Sorting photos no longer displays "Error loading content" message.
- Various performance and stability improvements.
- Added TV Out support.
- Resolved an issue causing free space calculations to be incorrect during syncing.
- Improved detection of Chromecast devices.
- Fixed playback of Cloud Sync content when using certain storage providers.
- Fixed flinging Cloud Sync content to Chromecast.
- Fixed quality setting selection when connected to Chromecast.
- Additional performance improvements during browsing.
- Additional performance and reliability improvements when syncing.
- Fixed non-functional "Sign Up" and "Sign In" buttons on iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.
- Performance and stability improvements when syncing content.
- Other minor visual & reliability improvements.
- Restored the ability to manually manage IP addresses for connections to your media servers.
- Improved reliability when seeking near to the start of tracks.
- Improved handling of download failures when syncing content.
- Fixed issues causing rotated or bordered video when using TV Out.
- Fixed crash after watching an episode.
- Many additional bug fixes. (lots of bad crashes fixed!)
- Sync is now supported for managed users.
- Audio and subtitle streams can be selected from the pre-play screen.
- Added support for Picture in Picture on iPad.
- Playing synced music on one iOS device from another wasn't working.
- When attempting to Play All, Shuffle or Add to Playlist while browsing by folder, the current folder was not respected & the operation would apply to the whole library.
- Syncing from folder views has been fixed (requires a future Plex Media Server v0.9.14.0 release).
- Too many notifications were displayed during sync.
- The "Lock to Landscape" setting is no longer shown for remote players.
- Fixed a crash when changing repeat mode on the audio player.
- Fixed issues preventing rotation on iPad.
- Fixed an issue that could result in the app crashing on launch after upgrading from a previous version.
- Other stability improvements.