Plex Install On Jessie and RP3 Can't See USB HDD Files

server-linux

I have a new install of Raspbian and Plex and while everything seems okay otherwise, Plex cannot see any files in the mounted USB HDD. Even if I give it the full path to the files (/media/pi/FlexMedia/HD Movies) it says "There are no items in this library"
The file manager sees all the files and directories but Plex does not

?

Thanks, Chuck! Once I finally got the permissions sorted it was.money.
Turns out I also had to reduce the drive’s cluster size from 32K to 8K

Well I’m basically back to where I started. I upgraded the external drive from 1TB to a 4TB WD Red drive and now PLEX can’t see the drive’s folders. When I try to add a library within the GUI it resolves this path to the drive /media/pi/PLEXMedia but can’t see the folders. I’ve tried the instructions at https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279063/using-ext-or-ntfs-drives-internal-or-external-on-linux and I’ve set the entire drive to chmod 0777 but nothing is working.

@CradyLab said:
Well I’m basically back to where I started. I upgraded the external drive from 1TB to a 4TB WD Red drive and now PLEX can’t see the drive’s folders. When I try to add a library within the GUI it resolves this path to the drive /media/pi/PLEXMedia but can’t see the folders. I’ve tried the instructions at https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279063/using-ext-or-ntfs-drives-internal-or-external-on-linux and I’ve set the entire drive to chmod 0777 but nothing is working.

If it resolves to /media/pi then you did not do as instructed.

/media/<Username> (which is 'pi in this instance) means whatever you did wasn’t right.

I just caught that - thanks!

=)

This is getting frustrating. I remounted the drive in /media/PLEXMedia and rebooted both the host and client but when I open the GUI and try to browse to the media folders it shows PLEX is still resolving the old path (which no longer exists)

Is there a configuration file I’m overlooking that may have the old path?

DO NOT MOUNT ANYTHING IN /media

/media is ‘owned’ by Gnome’s Nautilus.

Please create /disks or other similar non-conflicting name as instructed in the how-to

Edit: Clarified: Gnome Nautilus

Thanks. Following to the how-to to the letter now

I tried creating a folder called /disks but I can’t see it after it’s created. However, if I a create it as a sub-folder of something like ‘/usr’ then it is visible.

it can be seen. You will have to navigate up to / and then scroll down in the right pane to click it.

Alternatively, you can just type /disks/<name> for the folder name.

I did try that but it wasn’t there. Weird. Anyway, I think the best plan is to start from scratch and reinstall both the OS and PLEX. Thanks again!

Forget this post. When I looked, it only showed the original question and not the subsequent conversation. Hm?

-=-=-=-===-==

Read the support document on plex and libraries on attached HDDs under any flavour of UNIX.

The user plex must able to read all the directories along the path and the media files. test with ‘su -l plex -c “ls -ld /media/pi/FlexMedia/HD\ Movies”’

Thanks, eckarth. I’ll give that a shot

Thanks for the help guys! I made two major errors: I neglected to install support for GPT and I accidentally used PARTUUID instead of UUID