Plex Media Player RPM packages for Fedora 26+

plex-media-player

Hi all,

As for Plex Home Theater, I have build RPM packages of Plex Media Player for Fedora 26 (Old stable), 27 (Stable) and 28 (Rawhide).

Setup

If not already done, you need to enable RPM Fusion repository on your device:

su -c 'dnf install http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm'

Then, enable my RPM repository:

sudo dnf copr enable jleroy/PlexMediaPlayer

Finally, install Plex Media Player:

sudo dnf install plexmediaplayer

And... you're all set! Enjoy!

Launch Plex Media Player in standalone mode

The standalone mode allows you to launch Plex Media Player on startup, without starting Gnome or other window manager.

To enable standalone mode, use the following command, then reboot :

sudo /usr/share/plexmediaplayer/plexmediaplayer-standalone-enable

That's all!
Note: On standalone mode, exiting PMP automatically shutdown your computer.

super interested. before starting, looking to boot to pmp (as embedded might function). thoughts on accomplishing this?

@theknub I've just released a new version including a script that enable standalone mode without headache (see first post).

@tcheuck said:
@theknub I've just released a new version including a script that enable standalone mode without headache (see first post).

you 'da man. i'll take a look. thanks

i'm happy to guinea pig this, i originally wanted to do a dual boot of pmp/openelec w/ plexbmc and windows but will be happy to use something like fedora if we can gracefully move over to the OS for web browsing.

for those wondering why not use pmp for windows, the drivers for windows audio on the braswell chips suck and don't allow for passthrough of hd audio... yet linux (notably openelec) you can (all despite being hdmi 1.4 compliant)

THAAAAAAAANKS "thenub"

Working awesome in Fedora 23

any ubuntu builds?

I'm using Fedora, so no support for debian-based distributions planned.

FYI, your cert expired on the 25th.

@joe944 said:
FYI, your cert expired on the 25th.

Whoops. Fixed.

Version 1.0.4.169 packaged.

Hi, i was looking for the plexmediaplayer.conf on fedora. Any idea ? Thanks for this awsome work btw. My PMP crashes at launch so i assume the .conf may be not configured properly.

@wheelbeer : If you launch PMP in standalone mode the plexmediaplayer.conf is in /var/lib/plexmediaplayer/.local/share/plexmediaplayer.
Otherwise, it's in /home/YOUR_USER/.local/share/plexmediaplayer.

Hi, i couldn't find the .conf because there is no plexmediaplayer folder in the share folder.
The folder var/lib/plexmediaplayer remains empty. I manage to migrate my plex media server from my Synology to Fedora, but i'm frustrated because the PMP won't start :( too bad.

@wheelbeer said:
Hi, i couldn't find the .conf because there is no plexmediaplayer folder in the share folder.

Even in ~/.local/share/?

Hi, i finally managed to make PMP working on my intel NUC with fedora 23. But i encounter an issue. My intel NUC is also the PMS and the storage is on a NAS Synology DS413 mounted permanently via CIFS. and I am not able to navigate (fastforward, rewind) in the video, or relaunch a video where it was stopped. Any idea why ?

I think it's a PMP bug. I've opened a bug report here.
Feel free to comment it.

Ok, i'm glad to understand that it's not my setup fault.

Version 1.0.5 packaged.

is the update automatic, as the embedded version ?
I just need to quit and relaunch PMP ?

No, you need to run sudo dnf update in a terminal or update using Software Center.